• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Because they have a connection. A lot of that game is about humanity transcending simulation/being reduced to information

I'm going on the fact his relationship with her was a total manipulation in order to facilitate even more sophisticated manipulation further on in his life.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I mean, that also doesn't negate tempy's but
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Or bit
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No, I like but
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    And then the jumper wearing bimbo breaks up with him anyway for a guy he only knows through simulations telling him about hara-kari rock.
  • But I was doing a bit
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    GET RELEVANT BITCHES
  • she got pregnant, needs dat monthly paycheck.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    He's the MGS character with most reason to moan about life.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Go piss yourself Hal try not to drown Emma.
  • Tempy wrote:
    That's part of the surface, but it goes way deeper -
    Spoiler:

Couldn't the Jack the Ripper reveal be adding more weight to what I said, though? Vidoegames train us to be violent, efficient killers within a virtual space from a young age. Maybe Kojima is saying that that's us.

I found the stuff about player agency really interesting. Why do tasks because a computer tells us to, just like Raiden is when the colonel glitches out? It's odd if you think about it. Adding the parallel of likening gamers to a soldier carrying out tasks that involve mindless killing without question is awesome too. Layers, man, like you said. MGS 2 is the best.
  • Nick, you played the Stanley Parable? Sounds like something you'll appreciate, if not enjoy.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    If blonde kid in V trailers is Raiden I wonder if we'l get to seeing a young Solidus.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Nick, you played the Stanley Parable? Sounds like something you'll appreciate, if not enjoy.

I know what it is and it looks interesting. It's on my list of "PC Games I Will Eventually Play When I Have One."

Also Gone Home and Papers Please.
  • The Jack the Ripper stuff is definitely part of that idea yes, but I still think it fleshes out Raiden into an actual person who has actual trauma and pathos rather than just a total wet character/cypher for the nerds playing the game. The parallel between training child soldiers and raising kids on violent videogames is there though, but also child soldiers are a thing and he isn't the first one in the series either.

I mean I'm not unaware of the stuff you said, I've read tons on MGS2 and had lots of conversations and playthroughs of it myself thinking about the various facets*, I don't think there's much left for me to see of it, but it still doesn't ever tie up neatly, which is part of its strength. As I get further along I think the most interesting part is the holistic stuff around the game rather than the actual player agency stuff that people frequently go on about. The prescience of the plots attitude to information, the internet, the way the world neatly followed Kojima's abstract predictions about the importance of filtering information, I find all that way more interesting than the matryoshka like layers of meaning around hte core narrative. That's not a dismissal either, I just think Koj has had a really good through-line of thought throughout the series, even through his Gene/Meme/Scene bullshit, he's still mainly been talking about perception.

*shit that reads really uppity and smug, not intentional - I just meant to say that I hadn't posted my snippet about the Colonel difference from MGS1/2 whilst being unaware of the whole "The Player is Raiden is The Player" thing
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Perception indeed. A central thing about PW and probably will be in V is that neither Big Boss or Zero knew what the fuck The Boss was actually talking about.
  • HOW DO WE PERCEIVE THE WORLD AROUND US

HOW DO WE PERCEIVE HISTORY

HOW DO WE PERCEIVE OURSELVES

HOW DO WE PERCEIVE GOOD AND BAD

ffs koj sit down
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    If Solidus is in it he better still be voiced by John Cygan, Koj.

Big Boss's genes foster superb voices.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    What was the diff between Solidus's and Ocelot's goals again? If any?
  • an over simplification but i believe one wanted to control the patriots, one wanted to destroy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Actually considering doing 1 on PS1. What games on the memory card trigger a Psycho Mantis response? There's Pro Evo and?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sweet. Got that one
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Don't have that one
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    an over simplification but i believe one wanted to control the patriots, one wanted to destroy.

I thought it was both the latter. Man, this justifies a new playthrough.
  • i cold have sword he mentions track and field....
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Probably it was also Konami, I'd imagine any Konami game released before MGS would garner some response
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm another that despised Twin Snakes, mainly because the soundtrack was changed which I absolutely loved in the original. Also the OTT cutscenes were cringe.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, MGS 2 isn't just the worst MGS, but one of the least fun games I've ever played. Absolute arse.
    1435045032931_zpshmd9favb.jpg

I firmly believe that Kojima was fed up of making MGS games so he went out of his way to make the worst one possible, hoping it'd kill off the series. People then when nuts for it cos it's "post-modern". Nah, it's just pants.

Heck, watch the Making Of DVD that came with the special edition of MGS2. There's an artists who keeps saying "Kojima asked me to design {character}, and I thought he was joking."

C'mon. Tap dancing Flamenco vampire and a fat geezer on roller skates. These are meant to be spec ops guys.

IMHO, YMMV, of course, but I loved MGS and MGS3, hated every second of MGS2. If I had to choose between being kicked in the balls and playing through MGS2 again, I'd pick being kicked in the balls.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!