Game mechanics/conventions I am done with
  • Oh I'm sure I have mentioned before my hatred of CoD's infinitley spawning enemies that only stop once you've run past a hidden trigger point. Fucking stupid.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Why isn't there more of Vales 'Director'?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Oh I'm sure I have mentioned before my hatred of CoD's infinitley spawning enemies that only stop once you've run past a hidden trigger point. Fucking stupid.

NO PLZ NOOOO. Infuriating - RE6 has a lot of this where I'm not sure whether to make a run for it or stay and fight. Infinite enemies no thanks - unless you make it obvious that it's "survive X" or something.
  • JonB wrote:
    I think with Batman it was some of the other tools. Specific places you could press a button to spray explosive gel, or particular panels you could pull off the wall with some gadget or other to open new routes. As Chalice says, anyone who thinks that's some sort of Metroid style gameplay needs to play Metroid again.

i actually think the batman games do a pretty good job in that regard - at least Arkham Asylum. most of the things you mentioned would be a side effect of a tool, nearly every gadget in that game can be used anywhere and as a weapon. having played some SM recently there's a lot of needing a specific gun or ability to open a door, in that regard TR and Batman seem very similar, though TRs weapons were mostly pointless outside of the bow.
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Grabbing onto a ledge that breaks away and makes precisely zero difference to the inputs required. Fuck that. Tomb Raider did a variation of this that actually worked pretty well. A building might be crumbling while you jump, it wouldn't make a difference to you right this second but it would make you change your next move.

if i'm not mistaken didn't TR make you press something if the ledge you were hanging from broke? i recall Lara losing grip then having to re-establish.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    In Batman it was usually a choice tho. Use the explosive gel to take out that guy or pull him  under the grate or hang him from the gargoyle or punch him in the fucking neck. I've only played Arkham Asylum tho.
    The combat was fine, and let you use some of the tools when you wanted. It's the environment traversing that was lame and overly regimented. (We could also bring up 'detective mode', which mostly involved 'detecting' a specific highlighted object and following a trail, as I recall.)
  • Vela wrote:
    Fucking Enslaved did this too. Insipid design.
    I didn't get that far with Enslaved. Like Tomb Raider and Castlevania there were climbing bits that involved simply following the path of highlighted handholds. It's not a game if all you do is press X and whichever direction moves you towards the nearest glowing bit of scenery.

In the original Tomb Raied games you actually had to work out which the correct path was, and take some risks. That makes it a game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think one of the reasons I don't like 3D environmental gaming is they are trying to create the illusion of reality that is undermined at almost every step. I mean once you get shot and keep moving reality is kicked into touch, never mind finding health under the stairs or whatever.

I have enough reality to be getting on with anyhow. Give me primary coloured nonsense every time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Smang wrote:
    if i'm not mistaken didn't TR make you press something if the ledge you were hanging from broke? i recall Lara losing grip then having to re-establish.
    Yes but I think that had been done a few times before TR. The bits that I liked had you sliding down some rapids towards an obvious jump onto an obvious grab that looked like the end of the segment. You hit grab but smash straight through the rotten wood and carry on the sequence. That and the QTE catch made the mild peril bits bearable.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I also dislike this getting shot ten times thing in semi realistic games. I'd much prefer it if they messed with the games AI or something instead of turning you into a sponge. 
    I dunno, maybe have shots hit you in the arm or leg and impede you when they do or have shots pinging all around you as you are running away panicking because you know just one might end your escape. 
    Same with shooting the bad guys, make them harder to shoot but they drop in one or two rather than have then gibbering while you put 4+ bullets into them.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • There's ARMA if you like realistic bullet damage. I think I'd be fine if they just rebranded damage as "probability of being hit growing".
  • Every single thing about the first 20 minutes of ass creed black flag. Jesus.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • JonB wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Fucking Enslaved did this too. Insipid design.
    I didn't get that far with Enslaved. Like Tomb Raider and Castlevania there were climbing bits that involved simply following the path of highlighted handholds. It's not a game if all you do is press X and whichever direction moves you towards the nearest glowing bit of scenery. In the original Tomb Raied games you actually had to work out which the correct path was, and take some risks. That makes it a game.

Yep. Even uncharted does this and it is just tedious.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Facewon wrote:
    Every single thing about the first 20 minutes of ass creed black flag. Jesus.

those games past AC2 in general blud
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    I know it's a tricky nut to crack, but I really don't like in 3rd person stuff like LoU or whatever, how you can get hit by bullets and not die. Really breaks the immersion for me.

Not sure the solution. Maybe rather than having a health bar, enemies hit the floor around you/ near miss you Bond-style, but fill up a recharging 'pressure meter' or something, and when it's full bullets are more likely to hit and kill you.

OMG I THINK I'VE JUST CRACKED THE NUT!!!

This is fucking brilliant idea and I think they could easily do it right now. Would be even better if there wasn't a visible meter but they used sound design to build tension, maybe heart beat racing getting louder etc so you are not quite sure if get he next shot could be a hit.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Didn't Brothers in Arms have a similar mechanic? With suppression levels building up before you get hit?
  • I seem to remember GRAW or GRAW 2 kinda doing the 'hit probability' thing, when you popped your head out of cover you could see the bullets go by and get gradually closer to hitting you until you finally get winged by one, usually took 3-5 seconds IIRC. Was really easy to exploit once you knew, I finished it on the harder difficulty no problem. There was pretty much always a delay between being being seen and getting shot.
  • I think there needs to be the possibility of being insta-shot as you navigate an environment, otherwise tension is lost. A 'rising probability buffer' system might work in certain games I guess, perhaps the more arcadey score attack variety.
  • Playing a Character that have to slaughter hundreds of enemies out of context. Playing TR at the moment and my god is Lara one hell of a one woman army. The game constantly throws up small groups of enemies to kill and theres no challenge, just the slow erosion of any sense of peril or immersion to be honest. Uncharted was similar to this. At least with games like Gears its set in a warzone. 

On a similar note, some of the damage that Lara takes in cut scenes undermines you dying from smaller or less dangerous hits. Many games are guilty of this - die from being just at the edge of that grenades blast radius but in a cutscene you survive the plane exploding while crashing into a mountain while holding a puppy.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Smang wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Every single thing about the first 20 minutes of ass creed black flag. Jesus.

those games past AC2 in general blud

probably, guess I was hoping for a bit of a pleasant surprise having not touched em for a while. It's graphically very ugly as well. Worst of last gen to next gen cross over.

I mean the fucking HUD. Holy hell. You've just crashed on a desert island, here have a full map telling you where literally everything is, and a bunch of other icons for no real reason, which could probably just sink into the background, plus we'll make everything flash.

Fucking hell.

• RedDave2 wrote:
    Playing a Character that have to slaughter hundreds of enemies out of context.

Industry wide. This can fuck off. Full Spectrum Warrior managed to make one guy behind a bin a real challenge to your 2x 4 man teams and that was in a war zone. Modern shooters are just re-skinned Space Invaders and we need a rethink.
  • FSW the first was rather great, wasn't it.

Didn't last the Team Americaness of even the first mission on the second.
  • I keep wanting to just start a thread to say Black Flag is shit.
  • Is it that bad? Cos I was thinking of getting it out if the bargain bin in a year or two. There aren't enough pirate games. I wish Ubi would've just made a new IP that didn't take itself too seriously and fucked off some of the shitty AC conventions.
  • It may open up and be kinda cool once I get into whichever cities it's set in, but it basically covers every sin mentioned in this thread.

Every design decision is wrong, IMO.

I mean, you're dropped on a desert island, you don't have gear, you're chasing an assassin, you're a pirate in a ripped shirt, and you have a hud map that looks like freakin Far Cry 3 once you've unlocked everything. perma 4 buttons in the top right, health bar in the top left, random something in bottom right. Plus any time you pick something up or get something, you get taken to some sort of massive menu that makes you feel like you're using bizarro windows.

In combo with what feels like a closer camera than the first 2 games, it leaves very little room to actually look at the world.
  • It's awful until you finish the quest that gives you the diving bell, then you get unrestricted access to the pirate ship side of the game which is a good 20 hours of a different, brilliant game.
  • I didn't particularly notice anything amiss about Phelps running round shooting people because he was a cop in America and I kinda just went "Yeah, ok".
  • I finally lost patience with Black Flag when it gave me a ship and then asked me to skin half a dozen animals before I did anything else.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The sailing is excellent, but still hamstrung by having an icon on the map for stuff like dive spots or whales to hunt. All that shit should be emergent free form goodness.
  • @Facewon @IanHamlett

How good was FSW! I loved the fact that smoke actually did something useful in allowing safe cover bounding. I even used to use the smoke grenades in Splinter Cell VS mode to hide from snipers in some maps, thanks to inspiration from FSW.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Black flag is a more or less a pile of shit. when you get off the boat it's just like the other 20 ac games - mostly AC3 which is not a good thing.

also according to the game the Caribbean seas were fucking busier than Piccadilly Circus during rush hour. and don't even get me started on the 'story'

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!