Game mechanics/conventions I am done with
  • @Yoss wrong. Just like Destiny, you have to give it time. I returned the game because I felt just the way you did. Picked it to again later and it finally clicked.
  • Horses for courses isn't it. I remember Yoss trying DS a couple of times and never liking it despite trying.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @Yoss wrong. Just like Destiny, you have to give it time. I returned the game because I felt just the way you did. Picked it to again later and it finally clicked.

These days my game time is limited, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want out of games. I'm not going to stick with a game that I'm not enjoying for that long to see if it improves for me.

Destiny, crucially, I was enjoying within minutes of starting the game.
  • But it does entirely discredit your opinion about the combat.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What does? Enjoying Destiny, the B&B GotY last year?
  • pressing a button to turn on eagle/detective/hunter vision turning interactive parts of the environment lurid colours.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Press triangle to do whatever action. Why bother?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep. Thoughtful, deliberate, varied and punishing. Best combat ever devised. Controls also make perfect sense.

This and still better than Bluudburneo combat

*from someone doing shit at BB
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I prefer combat to be fast paced, based on reactions, strategy being something that you're only dimly aware that you're formulating in the moments before execution. 

But as Mos says, horses for courses, innit.
  • Tuning and upgrading car parts in on-line racers. Carried over from GT single player where it's quite fun, makes no sense at all on-line - lets all race in unbalanced cars.
  • Press Start button at splash screen. Why Start? What have you got against any of the other buttons, elitest button bastards.

Props to the games that say press any button.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Games that say press the start button but then any button will do. Why not just say press any button, you idiots?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Buttons.

Everything's better with Kinect.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Making sweeping statements about the quality of a game without experiencing it at its best.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I prefer combat to be fast paced, based on reactions, strategy being something that you're only dimly aware that you're formulating in the moments before execution. 

But as Mos says, horses for courses, innit.

Play fighting games! You just described fighting games! FIGHTMAAAAAAAAAN! Etc.

I hate it when games want you to find an object, and then explicitly tell you exactly where that is, use a breadcrumb trail and/or then highlight the element on screen so you can see it straight away!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Making sweeping statements about the quality of a game without experiencing it at its best.
    That would be true if I were making any sweeping statements about the quality of the game, but I'm not. All I've said is that I found the combat slow and clunky and that as a result I didn't get into it. I'm not slating the game.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Play fighting games! You just described fighting games! FIGHTMAAAAAAAAAN!

I loved Street Fighter II when I was younger. Unfortunately, the skill ceiling is just a bit too high for my mildly dyspraxic self. Pulling off decent combos in these things is too tricky for me to do consistently, so I tend to plateau at a level that means I can be destroyed by anyone of a decent standard, and so I give up.
  • Same. I'm too long in the toooth for that type of hectic shit these days. Same with online twitch shooters I used to love. I've no patience. Even Destiny PVP riles me up after half an hour.
  • Kow wrote:
    Jumping in games where there's no particular reason for jumping. An arbitrary jump button. Who the fuck goes around jumping all the time? Eg Dragon Age.

These guys... 

[Hard Dance Style][ Jump style, Shuffle ]: https://youtu.be/UaEbnVDfzwM
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • fighting games are generally much easier to operate than they were back in 1995. these days the only reason to 'drop a combo' is nerves/hype overload/epilepsy
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    fighting games are generally much easier to operate than they were back in 1995. these days the only reason to 'drop a combo' is nerves/hype overload/epilepsy
    I tried SFIV, the issues persisted. As I say, I'm mildly dyspraxic so I can have issues with fine motor control. It's not a problem in most things, but combos in fighting games are all about very accurate fine motor control and it's simply beyond me. I couldn't get into Bayonetta for the same reason.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    That would be true if I were making any sweeping statements about the quality of the game, but I'm not. All I've said is that I found the combat slow and clunky and that as a result I didn't get into it. I'm not slating the game.
    'I found' is switching the content of your post from the objective to the subjective, so now you've reined in your wildly inaccurate generalisation made from an unqualified position, there's no problem.
  • Endlessly panning shit with automatic weapons.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Smang wrote:
    fighting games are generally much easier to operate than they were back in 1995. these days the only reason to 'drop a combo' is nerves/hype overload/epilepsy
    I tried SFIV, the issues persisted. As I say, I'm mildly dyspraxic so I can have issues with fine motor control. It's not a problem in most things, but combos in fighting games are all about very accurate fine motor control and it's simply beyond me. I couldn't get into Bayonetta for the same reason.

fair enough. i used to date a girl with dyspraxia so i know what it's like expecting a hand-job and getting 2 black eyes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    'I found' is switching the content of your post from the objective to the subjective, so now you've reined in your wildly inaccurate generalisation made from an unqualified position, there's no problem.
    I'm sorry, I usually trust people to be able to sort objective truth from subjective opinion without my having to spell it out for them. Just for future reference: all opinions expressed about the quality of a particular game mechanic is subjective, but I'll try to mention it each and every time I proffer an opinion just in case.
  • The games where is says press A on the splash screen but in reality you can actually press any button it's like whoa mate you coulda said ya kno.

Stupid short forced time limits on choosing things in online lobbies. Horizon I'm looking at you.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I'm sorry, I usually trust people to be able to sort objective truth from subjective opinion without my having to spell it out for them. Just for future reference: all opinions expressed about the quality of a particular game mechanic is subjective, but I'll try to mention it each and every time I proffer an opinion just in case.
    Not all subjective opinions are equal. Some are nuanced and considered and can incorporate facts. Yours is wildly inaccurate and made from a position of ignorance, but wrap it up in that 'subjectivity' fig leaf and maybe no one will notice.
  • Countdown timers. 
    "You have thirty seconds to traverse the entire map, slaughter hundreds of enemies, complete an instant fail QTE and rescue the princess..."

just fuck off

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!