Game mechanics/conventions I am done with
  • Drive here to watch a cutscene to get a mission which is to drive somewhere and watch a cutscene. Once completed, drive somewhere to watch a cutscene to complete the mission.
  • Is looking under stairs a mechanic?
    I was going to say "gaming conventions" but thought people would think "I'm done with GDC. Fuck TGS." etc.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Not all subjective opinions are equal. Some are nuanced and considered and can incorporate facts. Yours is wildly inaccurate and made from a position of ignorance, but wrap it up in that 'subjectivity' fig leaf and maybe no one will notice.

Bloody hell, who pissed on your chips?

Okay, my exact opinions expressed were that the combat in Dark Souls is slow and clunky. I did not express any opinion about the quality of the game as a whole, nor did I suggest that slow or clunky were undesirable things for game combat to be in general, just that this put me, personally, off the game.

Now, I have expressed before that I found the combat in Dark Souls to be slow and clunky (or words to that effect), in the Dark Souls thread no less when I was trying out the game. Nobody in there disagreed with me at the time that it was slow, clunky is more subjective, but as I suggested earlier, Chalice's 'deliberate' could be my 'clunky'.

So, with all this in mind, how exactly is my opinion 'wildly inaccurate'?
  • I know it's a tricky nut to crack, but I really don't like in 3rd person stuff like LoU or whatever, how you can get hit by bullets and not die. Really breaks the immersion for me.

Not sure the solution. Maybe rather than having a health bar, enemies hit the floor around you/ near miss you Bond-style, but fill up a recharging 'pressure meter' or something, and when it's full bullets are more likely to hit and kill you.

OMG I THINK I'VE JUST CRACKED THE NUT!!!
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Yossarian wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Not all subjective opinions are equal. Some are nuanced and considered and can incorporate facts. Yours is wildly inaccurate and made from a position of ignorance, but wrap it up in that 'subjectivity' fig leaf and maybe no one will notice.

Bloody hell, who pissed on your chips?

Okay, my exact opinions expressed were that the combat in Dark Souls is slow and clunky. I did not express any opinion about the quality of the game as a whole, nor did I suggest that slow or clunky were undesirable things for game combat to be in general, just that this put me, personally, off the game.

Now, I have expressed before that I found the combat in Dark Souls to be slow and clunky (or words to that effect), in the Dark Souls thread no less when I was trying out the game. Nobody in there disagreed with me at the time that it was slow, clunky is more subjective, but as I suggested earlier, Chalice's 'deliberate' could be my 'clunky'.

So, with all this in mind, how exactly is my opinion 'wildly inaccurate'?

I was just winding you up because your Dark Souls views are just the sort of thing you would have picked up on if it had been about Destiny and probably derailed the thread into tedium. I don't give a shit. Sounds like you've played more Souls than I have.
  • Yep. Thoughtful, deliberate, varied and punishing. Best combat ever devised. Controls also make perfect sense.
    I'll agree with most of that but I can't call it the best in a word where Bayonetta exists.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I was just winding you up because your Dark Souls views are just the sort of thing you would have picked up on if it had been about Destiny and probably derailed the thread into tedium. I don't give a shit. Sounds like you've played more Souls than I have.

Actually, no, they aren't in the slightest. I've never argued with anyone who has tried the game and didn't get on with the fundamental mechanics. I've argued against people who slag the game off after giving up on before reaching the endgame, but then I wasn't slagging Dark Souls off. If I was, then that would have been just the sort of thing I'd have picked up on, but as it is, I'm afraid you're wide of the mark here.
  • cover buttons
  • I'm done with anything that even remotely hints at requiring DLC to progress. That's not so much a mechanic as it is a scam.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian wrote:
    monkey wrote:

Actually, no, they aren't in the slightest. I've never argued with anyone who has tried the game and didn't get on with the fundamental mechanics. I've argued against people who slag the game off after giving up on before reaching the endgame, but then I wasn't slagging Dark Souls off. If I was, then that would have been just the sort of thing I'd have picked up on, but as it is, I'm afraid you're wide of the mark here.
    This slagging off thing is irrelevant. You offered a negative view on something without experiencing it fully. You am bad man.
  • The real Dark Souls starts at...
  • Is it a game mechanic when the checkpoint is before a cutscene? Or when checkpoints can happen in the middle of you being attacked?
    The Forum Herald™
  • I believed this thread was about game mechanics, not the mechanics of debating or the discussion around how many hours enables you to have a valid opinion on said mechanics or experiences.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    You offered a negative view on something without experiencing it fully. You am bad man.

Have I ever made any statement like this ever? I'm pretty sure that I haven't. Of course people are entitled to their opinions no matter how much of something they've experienced, I'm also entitled to offer an opposing opinion. Of course, having a greater experience with something means that an opinion will hold greater weight. I wouldn't expect anyone to place as much weight in my opinion of Dark Souls as anyone who's actually completed it, that would be absurd.

I did argue against people down voting a game in the GotY thread if they hadn't fully experienced it, funnily enough using DS as an example of a game which I wouldn't downvote even though I didn't get on with it. As an unexpected result of that argument, two of the (three?) people who initially downvoted Destiny are nowfully paid up fans and play the game more often than I do.
  • Bob wrote:
    Is it a game mechanic when the checkpoint is before a cutscene? Or when checkpoints can happen in the middle of you being attacked?
    Just go with it. I only said mechanic because convention is easier to confuse. I'll change the title.
  • I believed this thread was about game mechanics, not the mechanics of debating or the discussion around how many hours enables you to have a valid opinion on said mechanics or experiences.

Blame Hammo for the inaccurate thread title.
  • that's just shit design. 

as for mechanics we're done with, Okami's bark button is legit. glad to see it make it's way into Tokyo Jungle. that game really is the dark souls of the animal survival genre.
  • monkey wrote:
    Drive here to watch a cutscene to get a mission which is to drive somewhere and watch a cutscene. Once completed, drive somewhere to watch a cutscene to complete the mission.
    That's easily solved - don't play GTA games.
  • I think really my biggest annoyance is the fake interactivity a lot of action adventure type games have nowadays. It usually involves something like giving you a grappling hook which can hook onto this very specific type of scenery if you press x. So for the rest of the game every time you see that type of scenery you press x and it swings you from this platform to the next. Fine if there's skill involved, but a lot of the time it's more like a Pavlovian response, where you remember which button to press given a certain visual cue (which sometimes even works by flashing a button prompt on the screen as well).

The Batman games, Castlevania: LoS, Enslaved, Tomb Raider, and Assassins' Creed were all guilty of this last gen to varying extents, as were probably many others.

It's all part of not wanting players to fail all the time and give up, but there's not much point playing at all if the choice and skill is removed to too great an extent.
  • sweet spots in football games
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • JonB wrote:
    I think really my biggest annoyance is the fake interactivity a lot of action adventure type games have nowadays. It usually involves something like giving you a grappling hook which can hook onto this very specific type of scenery if you press x. So for the rest of the game every time you see that type of scenery you press x and it swings you from this platform to the next. Fine if there's skill involved, but a lot of the time it's more like a Pavlovian response, where you remember which button to press given a certain visual cue (which sometimes even works by flashing a button prompt on the screen as well). The Batman games, Castlevania: LoS, Enslaved, Tomb Raider, and Assassins' Creed were all guilty of this last gen to varying extents, as were probably many others. It's all part of not wanting players to fail all the time and give up, but there's not much point playing at all if the choice and skill is removed to too great an extent.

yeah i hate this shit too, though i think batman is the least of those offenders. you could pretty much grapple off any ledge if my memory serves. you're probably thinking of the gargoyles though.

i also feel tomb raider mitigated it slightly - rock climbing still involved some jump timings, but shooting rope arrows into things and it had stupid 'hunter vision' which is just an excuse to not design your game properly.
  • monkey wrote:
    Drive here to watch a cutscene to get a mission which is to drive somewhere and watch a cutscene. Once completed, drive somewhere to watch a cutscene to complete the mission.

Hello GTA IV! Nearly ditched the whole thing over that. Do I not like that.
    Bob wrote:
    Is it a game mechanic when the checkpoint is before a cutscene? Or when checkpoints can happen in the middle of you being attacked?

Yeah I'd say it was. Also cutscenes half-way through a boss fight which you have to see every time you mess up the (probably) insta-kill QTE.

While we're on the subject, boss fights which are totally out of sorts with the rest of the game. Should be challenging you to use existing skills, not develop a new set for a few minutes. 

Related is a list I sent to Gamesradar in 2010, without the waffle. Nothing much has changed then:
    5) Achievements
    4) Sloppy testing (standard conditions causing crashes)
    3) Punishing those who want to play the game (basically, what monkey said)
    2) Cutscene placement
    1) Checkpoint placement
  • My feelings on trophies/achievements is in a constant state of flux.. I like teh collecting but can't really be bothered trying to do anything special for them.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Having things gated off until you acquire the particular tool for the job in adventure games has been there since Metroid, but nowadays it's just a question of pressing a button at a specific place to watch cool thing happen ad infinitum.

Devs now seem unable to eek out interesting, skilful stuff to do with new found abilities and toys. There should always be more than one way to proceed in a game. Going back through Metroid and playing around with all the myriad different techniques of accessing usually off limits areas is one of gamings finest pleasures.

Sequence breaking. There's not enough of it these days.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    eek
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Smang wrote:
    yeah i hate this shit too, though i think batman is the least of those offenders. you could pretty much grapple off any ledge if my memory serves. you're probably thinking of the gargoyles though.
    I think with Batman it was some of the other tools. Specific places you could press a button to spray explosive gel, or particular panels you could pull off the wall with some gadget or other to open new routes.

As Chalice says, anyone who thinks that's some sort of Metroid style gameplay needs to play Metroid again.
  • In Batman it was usually a choice tho. Use the explosive gel to take out that guy or pull him  under the grate or hang him from the gargoyle or punch him in the fucking neck. I've only played Arkham Asylum tho.

Have we had false peril? Grabbing onto a ledge that breaks away and makes precisely zero difference to the inputs required. Fuck that.

Tomb Raider did a variation of this that actually worked pretty well. A building might be crumbling while you jump, it wouldn't make a difference to you right this second but it would make you change your next move.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    In Batman it was usually a choice tho. Use the explosive gel to take out that guy or pull him  under the grate or hang him from the gargoyle or punch him in the fucking neck. I've only played Arkham Asylum tho. Have we had false peril? Grabbing onto a ledge that breaks away and makes precisely zero difference to the inputs required. Fuck that. Tomb Raider did a variation of this that actually worked pretty well. A building might be crumbling while you jump, it wouldn't make a difference to you right this second but it would make you change your next move.

Oh you mean like 90% of Uncharted's "platforming". Oh gee, the pipe/ladder/branch/train you were climbing and almost at the top of just collapsed and now you have to do twice as much more! Joy!

Fucking Enslaved did this too.

Insipid design. Even exploding barrels are less predictable.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Yep. Thoughtful, deliberate, varied and punishing. Best combat ever devised. Controls also make perfect sense.
    I'll agree with most of that but I can't call it the best in a word where Bayonetta exists.

This. My first reaction when I first played Demons: "This hasn't got anything on Bayonetta!". Of course I was gunned down by others, and it was my fault that I was coming off something different and making a silly comparison. But still, Bayo rules hands down in combat stakes.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!