The Walking Dead - A videogame by Monkey Island and Gary "I wrote the script for Akira" Whitta
  • I love the way that they've managed to fool people into thinking there's actual combat.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    I love the way that they've managed to fool people into thinking there's actual combat.
    I've not heard anybody say that there is combat in it? If you had to pick something to describe it then I'd go with Point'n'Click Lite...
  • I've always described it as time-limited point & click, but anyway:
    To sum up my ramblings elsewhere, I found the start amusing, but then combat was introduced...

I don't think I was thinking too straight when I made that comment, to be honest; it was meant to be more suggesting that I was curious about what dynamiteReady's problem with the action sequences was.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    I've always described it as time-limited point & click, but anyway:
    To sum up my ramblings elsewhere, I found the start amusing, but then combat was introduced...
    I don't think I was thinking too straight when I made that comment, to be honest; it was meant to be more suggesting that I was curious about what dynamiteReady's problem with the action sequences was.

Well, the game is masquerading as a point and click, but will occasional throw a timed action sequence at you. Even your choice of dialogue has a timer attached to it... Like, you expect to play the game lazily, only to have to sit up, and pay close attention every say... 8 minutes.

Fug da shi... 
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Aaaargggh, fuckinghopesdashedagain!

Any ETA on eps 3?
  • AJ_ wrote:
    I've always described it as time-limited point & click, but anyway:
    Well, the game is masquerading as a point and click, but will occasional throw a timed action sequence at you. Even your choice of dialogue has a timer attached to it... Like, you expet to play the game lazily, only to have to sit up, and pay close attention every say... 8 minutes. Fug da shi... 

That's the whole point of the entire game, that you can't sit and think about a question for a long time, you have to react in the moment, which gives a better indication of how you would handle that situation if faced with it. For example, at the start of episode two with the situation in the woods, it wouldn't work if you could just consider what to do for as long as you want. You have to make snap decisions and live with the consequences. It's what makes the game good.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Hear, hear, MattyJ...
  • cindemon wrote:
    Aaaargggh, fuckinghopesdashedagain! Any ETA on eps 3?
    Mid August I believe
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    You have to make snap decisions and live with the consequences. It's what makes the game good.

I actually quite agree with that (in that I understand that enforcing snap decisions was a clear design choice), but I got put off very early on with the whole dexterity challenge bullshit... i.e. Killing the officer after the police car crash in episode one...

But yes, there's at least an attempt at something different there. 
    I managed to appreciate that much...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • It's quite good in that it makes you think it's much more of a challenge than it is.  I played a fair way through pretty high (i.e. with shitty reflexes) and never had any problem - the hit areas for the hotspots it pretty large and you can press the button as soon as the cursor changes colour.
  • New Walking Dead episode is finally out tomorrow!

Or today if you have a ps3.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I've got a fair bit on so I reckon I may be able to wait and play all the remaining episodes in one sitting...
  • I'll probably get stuck into it next week. I like trying to get it all done in one go but not knowing how long it's going to be makes it tough! Really looking forward to seeing what happens next.
  • This guys hair.

chuckben.jpg
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    New Walking Dead episode is finally out tomorrow! Or today if you have a ps3.

Or not as the case may be.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    This guys hair. chuckben.jpg

The last of him.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It's Bill Macy isn't it?
  • No spoilers or anything from me here other than to say this episode is wonderful. Truly affecting, heavy arsed shit handled in a very sensitive manner. Even with all the tech glitches and what not this is getting very close to being on my goty list and pretty high up at that. Wonderful and shit really does go down this time.
    Enjoy.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    No spoilers or anything from me here other than to say this episode is wonderful. Truly affecting, heavy arsed shit handled in a very sensitive manner. Even with all the tech glitches and what not this is getting very close to being on my goty list and pretty high up at that. Wonderful and shit really does go down this time. Enjoy.
    Just grabbed it earlier, looking forward to playing it now after reading this...

Does the start grab you as much as ep2?
  • It's not as batshit crazy right from the get go but by god, the final two thirds will have you totally gripped and - if you made similar choices to me - totally shocked and deflated. It's an amazing episode, genuinely some of the best scriptwriting, pacing and voice work I've ever seen in a game. Brilliant.
  • I am about halfway through episode 3 and it has been incredible. very emotional and the story is really developing nicely.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    The story is certainly starting to become the focus of this game, I have just...

Spoiler:

I am really enjoying this, I just would have loved to have seen it be a full release rather than having to wait for each episode.
  • Mannn I need to download and get stuck into this!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I wasn't expecting that!

I don't think I will play through the whole thing again once I've finished it, I'd rather have the story as it was for me. There's no need to change anything, good or bad, right or wrong, I'll live with how it panned out for me...
  • absolutely loved this episode, I just wish there was more than about two and a half hours to each one. Kinda struggle to think of a more gripping story in video games.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    This sounds great again. How many episodes are left?

I wonder how long it'll be before they discount the lot too.
  • 5 in the full season (with the reviews it's been getting I wouldn't be shocked if there was a season 2)
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    absolutely loved this episode, I just wish there was more than about two and a half hours to each one. Kinda struggle to think of a more gripping story in video games.
    It's brilliant isn't it?

Best story yet, some real unexpected turns but now it seemes to be really focusing on the scenario they are in rather than the zombie threat, fucking brilliant...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Just finished Episode 3. Here are the decisions I made...

MASSIVE SPOILERS SO ONLY LOOK IF YOU HAVE COMPLETED EPISODE 3

Spoiler:
  • @Moto70
    Spoiler:

I thoroughly enjoyed episode three. The story was just fantastic and the final tease was very good. I thought episode two was better for pure action/tension/set pieces but episode three just nailed everything to do with characters, story, setting, emotions etc.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!