Disappointments of the Year
  • WorKid wrote:
    Good games are good games. When I think of how much enjoyment I got out of the 16-bit era, or Amiga software, it should be clear power isn't required to deliver a good experience. FTL (say) probably could have come out at any point in the last 15 years without looking or playing any differently. But I presume the tools which enable it to be built - and more importantly, distributed effectively - are newer constructs.

The tools are new, but it used to be the case where games were smaller and more easily distributed via code included in magazine printouts, or cover tapes. Then sometime after the mid-80s/early 90s (shareware excluded) this trend died. 

We're now seeing the death of the AAA publisher space which led to the semi-abandonment of smaller creativity. The AAAs killed the mid-tier of the market quite efficiently over the past several years (witness the difference in diversity between say, the PS2 library and the 360 library - the latter is a creative wasteland with a handful of oases). But now the low-end of the market is flourishing and has content available on systems people keep in their pockets.

As for graphics - graphics only mattered to the AAA blockbuster end of the market which was headstrong in asserting it was "BIGGER THAN HOLLYWOOD!!!11!1!". Comparisons with Hollywood centred on the visual aspects and the hollow but superficially epic narratives. Whoo.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    The challenge will be making the English translation just shit enough again to retain that much of the charm. Every new year I say to myself "I'm going to play The Void all the way through this year" and then I get to the first 20 minute boss fight.

The Void sucks shit, don't fuss it.
  • Also I don't really think the blockbuster Hollywood vs. not so analogy really stands, because even when you're shooting humans on a lower budget you're still shooting humans.

It doesn't match the AAA vain desperation for videorealism vs. boutique 8-to-32bit 2Disms at all imo.
  • What should be happening this gen is an expansion what Valve did turning Narbacular Drop into Portal - buy up some proper indie talent and throw major resource at it. Like, suppose the ingenuity going on with No Man's Sky had been woven into the dev cycle for Destiny.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Also I don't really think the blockbuster Hollywood vs. not so analogy really stands, because even when you're shooting humans on a lower budget you're still shooting humans. It doesn't match the AAA vain desperation for videorealism vs. boutique 8-to-32bit 2Disms at all imo.

That's quite the tautology; of course a shooter is a shooter regardless of provenance. 

What I am arguing is that there is more diversity of genres amongst the indie (and B-tier) market. The AAA end is mostly FPS games, WRPGs, and FPS games with WRPG elements.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The diversity is actually there as far as I've been able to gather, it's just a question of selling it.
  • I meant shooting as in filmshoot, not gunshoot. We don't really have a small-studio equiv of even a Vine clip, let's be honest.
  • Oh dear, I seemed to have missed that context entirely!
  • The only AAA games I can really think of in recent years with something like a mature sensibility are probably Dog Days and Last of Us (maybe RDR too), insofar as there was a basic crossover between relatively high budget and a degree of care for coherent and affecting emotional realism. Neither were perfect but at least an attempt was being made.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'll play anything if its good, just my love of games has waned this past year so I don't give half the shit out there a chance. Platformer made for a hundred quid? Why not if it's fun. Don't get the complaints/bother about diversity and the discussion over Indies gets. More games are being made than ever, it's a good thing.
  • Radamel Falcao in a Man United shirt. 'The greatest chance taker in world football' and Youtube master killer has looked like a wee bit of a clogger.  He's not been awful - at times he's looked good - but my disappointment at his adequate contribution fits the bill for the thread.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've started playing Long Live The Queen. Is it a game. Yes.
  • My god that's some repulsive presentation. The game seems like a capricious chore too, good luck.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Scapo? Have you really just dismissed Temps' argument by obfuscating it around "I was aware you'd make that argument therefore this argument is wrong?"

No, I was undermining myself ahead of time; bit o' cheek on the side. Lots of people love indie games, so in the grand scheme of it all, there's not much wrong with indie games.

Jibs highlighted my opinion's core:

I always felt that 2D gaming basically got shelved once the PS1/N64 era came along, because of course everyone wanted to try the new 3D, but with the SNES/MD it had just reached an interesting point where the visuals were up to scratch and the game styles had been refined. The next step was to start experimenting, but we never saw much of that, at least not until this new indie scene came around.

15-odd years is a huge chasm. I agree on the point of indies beating corps to the creative punch more often than not, but I'd rather see those inventions added to the best of modern technology, instead of appearing as realisable-n-the-'90s updates of yesterday's excitements.

WipEout was just a racing game. For those who didn't like it, it really was just a racing game. Its wrapping was its creative heart.
  • Champ Manager on vita gets my vote, was so hyped but it pretty much unplayable.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Really? Seemed ideal. What was so bad about it, if I may ask?
  • the onscreen controls are tiny and therefore impossible to select plus the loading / processing times were horrific
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!