Disappointments of the Year
  • I would say Spurs have been disappointing but they are performing about as I expected.
  • This isn't really 2014 related, but I'm still disappointed that USB devices don't all have a USB port at the end. When USB arrived we were promised daisy-chaining of up to 128 devices. By rights, no computer or console should need more than one USB port. We should just be able to plug into the last thing on the chain.
  • Good shout about football.

Leicester beating man u 5-3 and then turning completely embarassing. :(
  • Scottish non-independence. It's probably for the best, I don't actually know, I didn't do a huge amount of research into the pros and cons. But it would have been entertaining perhaps, not to mention a kick up the bollocks for Cameron.

FREEDOM!
  • I guess maybe I'm getting older, but I've been pretty disappointed by next gen so far - as in, during the 360 launch year I was pretty desperate to get one, but I've just not felt all that keen so far. As I say, could just be my priorities changing though.
  • Next gen is the biggest disappointment, complete waste of time so far.

Destiny might actually be bigger thinking about it, because of what it could and should have been. MP is just so fucking good, it almost makes up for the rest of the game.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can I reiterate. Amiibo. I'm sitting in my new house. On my own, the wife is away. Im having a glass of wine and wrapping up giant bomb's day 2 podcast. The fuckers are staring at me. Just staring.

• Not sure how you can be disappointed in them, they do exactly what was promised ie rape your wallet then take up room on a shelf.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm more disappointed in myself tbh
  • adkm1979 wrote:

Oh, I know: Breaking Bad.

My only disappointment with Breaking Bad was, I've now watched it all and it's over :(
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I want the Yoshi one. It can sit next to my Agent P and Stitch Infinity figures. I do not have the Infinity game.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Kirby franchise ones will work with the new Kirby game next year so that will be nice. I think they give Kirby a game-breaking hat or something.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Only if I delete the Smash Bros data first.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Morrissey - World Peace Is None of Your Business Again, more than aware of Morrissey's status as a lolsymbol in places, but as someone who had been waiting years for his next album, and after the faffing around with record labels and delays, it was all for... This? A bunch of functional songs. A shame given the quality of his autobiography to spin a sentence.
    I enjoyed the album, although I realise it's not his best. Good tracks IMO: Neil Cassady Drops Dead, Istanbul, Staircase at the University, Mountjoy, Art-Hounds.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Persimmons are wretched, this is a truth.

Personally, I find them to be delicious. Insanely sweet, consistently textured and juicy.
    The Next Generation (PS4 + XBOX One) Games have a marginal graphics upgrade. They take way longer to make and are blander than ever. E3 promises now relate to the following calendar year.

This!
  • The only personal disappointment I have is that I haven't been able to complete as many games as I would have liked. A handful of games in particular are massive time sinks which stop me finishing other stuff Id love to get stuck into.

More widely I'm disappointed that publishers and developers are increasingly releasing shoddy, broken, scam products at full price when they should still be in beta. Halo Master Chief Collection, Assassins Creed Unity, Driveclub all join the ranks of Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Battlefraud 4 as games that should have been recalled from retail.

And Gamergate is the most retarded thing I can ever recall seeing in forever in context of this industry. People who were sending death threats or hiding behind an excuse/cover story of "integrity in games journalism" need a swift kick up the backside and in some cases, prison time.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Consider the last generation without online modes. Go on! Consider that! In your corner.

The creative rot set in during the PlayStation's final years.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The problem with online mode is that it is lazy. It compensates for lazy game design and has crowded out proper same room multi-player which is what video games were invented for.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    proper same room multi-player which is what video games were invented for.

Woah. Is this some sort of natural law?

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • You'd think platform holders would be dead keen on same room multiplayer, to shift 4 ridiculously expensive pads to each console owner.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Morrissey - World Peace Is None of Your Business Again, more than aware of Morrissey's status as a lolsymbol in places, but as someone who had been waiting years for his next album, and after the faffing around with record labels and delays, it was all for... This? A bunch of functional songs. A shame given the quality of his autobiography to spin a sentence.
    I enjoyed the album, although I realise it's not his best. Good tracks IMO: Neil Cassady Drops Dead, Istanbul, Staircase at the University, Mountjoy, Art-Hounds.

I'll give you Staircase for the lyrics.
  • You'd think platform holders would be dead keen on same room multiplayer, to shift 4 ridiculously expensive pads to each console owner.

Don't the new consoles support up to 7 players with the controllers being bluetooth? Not that any game will ever test that.

Although Wii U does 8p with Smash.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Plus I'm sure there'll be something about money put into live / psn over the same time period for not selling a physical product and retaining a customer being better value for them.

I think selling two games to two friends is way more profitable.
  • Vela wrote:
    You'd think platform holders would be dead keen on same room multiplayer, to shift 4 ridiculously expensive pads to each console owner.

Don't the new consoles support up to 7 players with the controllers being bluetooth? Not that any game will ever test that.

Although Wii U does 8p with Smash.

Ps4 has gone down to 4 from ps3's 7
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    proper same room multi-player which is what video games were invented for.
    Woah. Is this some sort of natural law?

Ralph Baer in an interview shortly before his death expressed disappointment at the focus on the lone gamer (online or otherwise) as he developed the first console with the view of family and friends playing together.

I have say I agree a great deal with that. While I appreciate what online has done for gaming it has also done an awful lot of damage to game design in general.
  • On the Flipside online has made indie games feasible products so I think the trade off is worth it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Indie games have so far been fairly uninspiring I'm sorry to say.

And that's coming from one who would love to see a huge breakthrough from that part of gaming as mainstream is all but dead to me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Online offers a splendid platform for distribution - don't think anyone can complain about that.What I rail against is the dumping of several gamers into an arena to slug it out as opposed to trying to build new games that can entertain more than one gamer in new ways.

Nothing wrong with Online death match - it is/can be great - it has its place - but it has for the time at least been a substitute for multi-player game design and the so-called strive toward "reality" has soaked up an awful lot of resource and talent.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!