Nintendo Pocket Football Club
  • Well done! Which league are you in now? I'm 4 games into my first season in League 2, with a 0-1-3 record. I think this will be a development/avoid relegation season. With the expanded budget I reckon second year in this league will be more likely to bear fruit.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • League 1, first game coming up!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • league 1 isn't going well. Not sure if its 

a) because I went up from league 2 first season and I wasn't ready
    b) because I tried to change the formation quite drastically and my team wasn't set up for it

Either way, didn't get a win until game 12 and went back to my old formation. A few draws but i'm bottom of the league and need a miracle to stay up.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I'm currently struggling for survival in League 2. About 60% through and have managed to build a slim 4pt margin over the bottom side, beat the #1 team 2-1 in my most recent game too somehow.

This is going to be a tense finish.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • WHOOO. Survival with one game in hand.
  • Not played the last few days due to work, but the team are sitting 4th in their 1st season in league 2 with 2/3's still to play for.  Feeling confidant of going up(even tho the top 2 teams have killa squads) as I defiantly have strength in depth in the squad & hopefully 4 or 5 players on the fringes that should be up to speed come next season.  Just gonna park the bus on away matches to the big boys.  The cup feck off this season(again).

Also got a street/spot pass request for a match from a Spanish squad.  Not sure if it was randomly generated or it was from a player I had had an online match against.  Excepted it, just to face off a Sqaud of "A" & "S" rank players.  Got toasted, but did pick up a few decent cards.

The road to glory continues the weekend.
  • Nintendo were advertising play v Spain. They are also doing other teams as well.
  • i've played spain about 20 times now, scored once :D lol
  • League 2 season 2 underway, and I'm doing worse :(
  • Patience is sorely being tested now. Any advice for survival?
  • Fuck. Lost in the final minute too.

What are some effective zone/attack/formation settings for league 2?
  • Game has gotten to the point where it won't let me progress and it's in control of everything anyway.

I guess it was fun for a fortnight.
  • Vela wrote:
    Fuck. Lost in the final minute too. What are some effective zone/attack/formation settings for league 2?

When the lads play away & the opposition are a bit tasty(generally the top 3) I drop the direction back, select wait for chances & play a 4-5-1.  If the opposition are around the same level as my squad or below, I pick blanced & play a 4-4-2.  Marking individual star players or an area of players is a must, as I'm sure you know.

At home, I play a lot more aggressively in regards to direction & play style, not so much against the top 3, but the bus is not parked.  Most teams I'll go with 3 up front.
  • Where do you set the zone in each style? And how compact or spread out do you tend to opt for?
  • It really varies.  Depends on the opposistion, my squads strengths/weaknesses or injuries/skill level, if we are home or away, my league posistion.  Generally against the top 3, I tap the direction back one, pick "wait for chances" & 4-5-1 away & 4-4-2 at home.

Not helpful I know but we probably have 2 very different squads.  To survive league 2 & probably win it, you pretty much need a squad of "C" rank in most stats but especially in kicking & running & not just the main 11 but decent cover also which is why I have only released a few players, my Giggs & Kevin phillps type players might be losing their finesse over 4 seasons, but they still have their moments.
  • Alright, so in dot point this is how my squad stands:

* On average, most players have 2 attributes at B, 3 at C, 2 at D and there are a handful of players with either an E or an A on one stat
    * I'm usually playing 4-4-2 or 5-4-1, with a zone that is as spread out as possible
    * Zone centred on the mid-point
    * Prefer balanced play, but opt for scoring against weak teams or counter attack on strong sides
    * I had some results with counter + pushed up zone
    * Biggest problem is outnumbered defenders, and my defence is the strongest section of the side
    * 90% of players are on upward development
    * I've been trading out players when they are on 5 downward bars

So I guess what I'm thinking of doing now is
    1. Keeping hold of players and keeping them until they hit 1 bar so I have high stats on some.
    2. Saving cards for the new recruits and new recruits only, so they can slot in when the 1-bar players are dropped

I also want to avoid doing the DLC teams and friend market transfers a much as possible.
  • Vela wrote:
    So I guess what I'm thinking of doing now is 1. Keeping hold of players and keeping them until they hit 1 bar so I have high stats on some. 2. Saving cards for the new recruits and new recruits only, so they can slot in when the 1-bar players are dropped I.

Pretty much what I have done.  New blood(7 players) is almost ready to come in & replace a declining squad, just gotta do it carefully as they burn out rather fast & the way the season goes in the second half with injuries & suspensions, could prove costly if I'm not careful.  Won't be getting promoted this season but should survive.  The only clanger I have made so far of late is training.  Been to balanced with the cards & by doing so lost the strong spine the team had seasons 2 & 3, as said spine is horribly in decline at the mo 'cept the keeper & the team lack grit & flair.
  • I'm playing 3-5-1 :))

Promoted every season till the last or first league and now I'm fighting for survival. Teams are solid and don't miss.

I set the team to defensive
    First half against anyone not in the bottom third of the league. Then second half I open up and take my chances if I'm behind. Goal difference not particularly important.

I put my defensive one click infront of my own goal mouth. Fairly even spread.

Most of my combos are ventured around counter attacking and pace. I'm only now mixing that up. My keeper is solid and I've built him up most. Looking at the team as a whole my strikers and keeper are hi fester levelled. Then midfield. Then defense. Defense don't want ranking up much though grrr
  • The fightback starts today.
  • Spotpass team this week is Italia. Gives you lots of cards for the chain combo (analysis, marking, line control).
  • Boom. Halfway through the season, sitting on 5W-5D-5L, 4th spot.

Ive resorted to a 5-4-1 with the backline holding at the edge of the box, and counter-attack. If I'm feeling adventurous, 4-5-1.

The results have been far better this time thanks to levelling up the defensive 5 first, and using spares to upgrade midfielders next. Which means now when I lose, it's not been worse than 2-0.
  • Well done vela :) I stayed up too. Just going online. The top 30 teams are now rock solid. Need to have maxed stats to stand a chance.
  • Yeah, yours and cindemon's tips helped big time. Reading elsewhere around the traps it seems League 2 is the proving grounds where it basically demands you start being smarter with the team management.

Obviously I had made a few dumb mistakes.

What I'll do now in the latter half of the season is blood the players on the outer so they hang around next season, then ideally get a squad of 15-20 players with C's in everything at minimum. Once that is established, it should be a simple matter of replacing players as they fall off the perch on one bar, and buying smart recruits.
  • Can we update the op with friend codes and team IDs?
  • Done. I've popped them in the second post since its easier to format. I think you only need football team IDs, but friend codes are in there as well. Let me know if Ive missed anyone.
  • Right. Came 3rd in that season. I think with 8W, 12D, 8L. First and second were something like 6 games clear.

Defence is solid now, just got a couple of Ds to upgrade and then midfielders to get to Bs and Cs minimum.
  • Guaranteed second place finishing with no loss in the second half of the season. Let's hope the playoff goes well.
  • Playoff comes down to pk shootout
  • KGUXUX JB HICF747_(_(,7, fucking yesdddd
  • I beat Italy 4-1 :) 

but i've also been battered a few times too. I survived league 1 by winning the play off. So I did scrap it. This season is going marginally better. Hoping for midtable.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!