Current Affairs
  • Can't really remember Goobs, was just forumchat and I'm not keeping score so was not offended.

Anyhoo, no need to be embarrassed.
    My IQ is even bigger than my giant penis. In mm of course.

Edit:
    Pageturn grrrr....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Not at all mate, I'm sure me and you (and others) have had discussions around that topic as we seem to have similar views on a lot of this stuff. The conversations tend to blur into each other though so it's difficult keeping track of what I've said to who.
  • @goobs
    Agreed we have very similar views. Pretty sure it wasn't you and stoph calling me crazy. Actually it may have been Brooks. Or nmd. Or some others not sure. No matter as I generally enjoy their posts and like a good debate.

The theory that fb/twitter was used/abused to deliver targeted propaganda to tip the scale in Brexit and the US elections was a bit tinfoilhat in 2016/early 2017 though theoretically not unfeasible. It's totally understandable people were sceptical to such an out there scenario back then.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • My IQ is 105.

Wait, shit
  • I’m still going!

Facewon wrote:
    I mean I'll just quote myself again, I guess.

There’s a fairly staggering degree of hubris going on here despite a clear ignorance to how genetics actually works. Of course not everyone needs to know about this stuff, but why repeatedly insist that you do?

Take this as an example.
    Facewon wrote:
    Genetics isn't an isolated true/false when it comes to intelligence. You've acknowledged as much, which means that claiming genetics plays a role as a true/false is either meaningless, or at best, not all of the equation. Meaning a true/false is a poor mechanism for making decisions on this situation.

You’ve repeatedly posted this now, presumably you think this is just the killer knock-down argument that I’m ignoring or just can’t get my head around.

This isn’t a coherent statement about genetic influence.

To rob a quote; it’s not even wrong.

Facewon wrote:
    I coach children. ;) 

But not in biology, apparently.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • hunk wrote:
    @goobs Agreed we have very similar views. Pretty sure it wasn't you and stoph. Actually it may have been Brooks. Or nmd. Or some others not sure. No matter as I enjoy their posts and like a good debate. The theory that fb/twitter was used/abused to deliver targeted propaganda to tip the scale in Brexit and the US elections was a bit tinfoilhat in 2016/early 2017 though theoretically not unfeasible. It's totally understandable people were sceptical to such an out there scenario back then.

Well whoever it was you sounded dumb and tinfoil at the time but you obviously aren't... maybe.

Anyway this is the best 

6MaXVum.png?2
  • Vela wrote:
    Here is an example 1. Same-sex marriage 2. The institution of marriage as being altered to encompass same-sex couples where prior availability was restricted to heterosexual couples 3. Left side: same-sex people can marry. Right side: same-sex people cannot marry, or if they do, it should not be called marriage. 4. Religious definitions have existed in legislation prior to recent years. Modern movements seek to change this definition. 5. The mistruth: that same-sex marriage will harm society. The beneficiary of the lie: conservative religious groups. 6. No data found. 6. Counter example of Rightist irrationality: slippery slope arguments (marrying children, dogs, bridges)

I wouldn't really count that as an example of Identify Politics, as far as I think about it at least.

And it's not that IP is a problem of the left only. Far from it. 

But right-wing IP is so obviously nefarious and well established that not much more really needs to be said. Plenty has been said about, for example, the white supremacist movement. That conversation has very happened and is well understood. 

The problem with left-wing identify politics is that it very often masquerades as a finally calibrated form of morality and is far less recognised as a problem.

As distressing as Monkey finds me saying, I do think there's more than a smidgen of something related going on here.  

IP is just another form of tribalism and ways of putting people into distinct groups which are at odds with others. We've got to get away from this and recognise that we are far better described by our similarities and our shared humanity than our differences.

And I probably won't otherwise take you up on your challenge.
  • Right of centre people seem to enjoy slinging the label "identity politics" with abandon, just like the term political correctness (gone mad). Often in an attempt to portray an anti-rights campaign as being not "common sense".
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • We're all fucked with this big data business. Fucked.
  • I guess I have to requote to put the context back in. Again.

Great.

Meanwhile, replace "meaningless" with trivial in my statement. Because I say trivial due to genetics being part of the equation I'm not disagreeing with. I quoted the skeptic article at length for that very reason. A more qualified person said it better.

The issue after that is: Environment is a part of it to. (see again, we have a trivial truth, trivial in the sense that folks disagreeing with Murray et al agree with him on this.) it's what Murray (and Harris) do after this point that is the issue.
    Facewon wrote:
    I mean I'll just quote myself again,
    I guess.
    Facewon wrote:
    Genetics isn't an isolated true/false when it comes to intelligence. You've acknowledged as much, which means that claiming genetics plays a role as a true/false is either meaningless, or at best, not all of the equation. Meaning a true/false is a poor mechanism for making decisions on this situation.

We have a tricky to define thing in intelligence, measured by a method as susceptible to human bias as anything, filtered through the findings of an avowed conservative who uses motivated reasoning to draw counter-intuitive findings.

Even if you claim you're not defending the bell curve, you are defending IQ as a measure and being a touch too sure that there are differences between races.

What the above shows is that it'd pay to be very skeptical of any study on racial differences because it appears the only folks who care and spend cash are white supremacists/funded by them. Note how many times various pioneer funded folks are referenced. And sure, they may find out some true things, but it seems to me that you, and, to be frank, Harris, are giving Murray and the findings about race and intelligence way too much of a pass because thte cool kids want to show how rational they are for giving controversial views a "fair" hearing.

Now, do Murray and Harris touch on some of the concerns above, yes. But it's the same as Harris conceding the US has done bad things. He carries on assuming best intentions.

They concede things as if scripted, because that's what you have to do to not sound completely biased.

"It's another nefarious flavour of anti-rational leftist identity politics where the evaluation of a hypothesis isn't judged on whether it's true or not but on which political interest it serves."

So when you Harris and Murray go off on one about identity politics it betrays a - to say the least - pet peave which they overreact to. They also use ID-P as a cause of a lot things that it's more of a reaction to. As I said, cart before horse. As the skeptic article said, it's the interpretation of a black guy with a degree being paid less than a white guy with a degree as a sign of a difference in intelligence.....

"Their interpretation or explanation of the data is influenced by their belief system, and their explanations and beliefs intervene between the data and the public policy recommendations that are built on the data. There is good reason to believe that their interpretation of the data is “tainted” or not as pure or databased as their academic affiliations, thick statistical appendix, and scientific-sounding language make it seem. Consider this quote from The Bell Curve: “The median earning of…workers in 1992 [was] $41,005 for white male graduates with a bachelor’s degree and only $31,001 for black males with a bachelor’s degree” (p. 324). Most readers would interpret these data as evidence of persistent discrimination in the labor market. After all, how else could you explain the finding that even when African- Americans and Whites have the same education, and other variables like sex are held constant, African-Americans are paid much less? The authors conclude that this disparity in income shows how important the differences in intelligence really are. The bias in their interpretation of these data is too obvious too deserve additional comment.

Similarly, Herrnstein and Murray cite high drop-out rates for students who are admitted to college as a result of affirmative action programs as evidence that these students lack the intelligence to succeed in college, and therefore affirmative action programs cannot work. Affirmative action admissions are almost always first-generation students from low income households. Why don’t they consider other explanations for the high drop-out rate of students admitted under affirmative action programs, like the fact that these students are more likely to work while they are in college and when they work, they work more hours than their wealthier counterparts? Why don’t they even consider the possibility that affirmative action students start college with deficits that are attributable to an inferior secondary education and social pressures that are not compatible with attending college? Wouldn’t these facts be expected to increase drop-out rates? Like other interpretations of data in The Bell Curve, these conclusions do not ring true."

I fail to see hubris in long-windedly arguing that things might be more complex than you're painting them.

And by my count, I'm 2 up on you for actually reading/listening to podcasts and things you've posted. So I'll take my chances that it's hubris.

Also, while it's certainly true that a lot of the reactions to the book took the tone the guys describe in the pod, they totally ignore the best counters. They just make it sound like every just screamed nazi.

Anyhoo.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ima edit a bit.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    We're all fucked. Fucked.
  • Face is killing it - can’t disagree with a single point up there. Absolutely nailed it.
  • What is he killing exactly?

I haven't been defending The Bell Curve.

I've said that many times.
  • The telling coincidence is that the people who generally argue in public that race and iq are linked are also generally of one particular skin colour. 

It's not too dissimilar from saying men are better than women at maths or coding. They might be historically more common but that's due to biases in opportunities, social expectations and whatnot. 

On a related point face has mentioned, IQ isn't really a valid test anyway. It can be impacted on basis of bad moods, lack of sleep, hunger, stress, familiarity with the material etc etc. Loads of variables. One might say that things would "average out" but I would expect more likely that systemically disadvantaged groups would probably skew lower. 

I wonder how IQ correlates with postcode, for instance.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • JRPC wrote:
    What is he killing exactly?

I haven't been defending The Bell Curve.

I've said that many times.

Serious question then. What have you been defending? What ideas/concepts? To take it away from Harris and said book.

Legit looking for clarification.

• Meanwhile, was alerted to this bit of gold.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

Jordan peterson take down. Which may poison the well if anyone was planning on saying he's great, but it's too entertaining not to share.

Pocket tells me its a 54 minute read. The gist can be gotten in under 10 for the time poor.

• And, further, it tickles me even more that I can borrow Jay z lyrics to sum up that article even faster....

Cause the nigga wear a kufi, it don't mean that he bright
    'Cause you don't understand him, it don't mean that he nice
    It just means you don't understand all the bullshit that he write
  • Facewon wrote:
    JRPC wrote:
    What is he killing exactly? I haven't been defending The Bell Curve. I've said that many times.
    Serious question then. What have you been defending? What ideas/concepts? To take it away from Harris and said book. Legit looking for clarification.
    Why bother? You were never going to get any serious engagement on this and that's not going to change now.
  • Am I the only non-cynic in here right now?

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's hard to work out what jrpc actually thinks. About the only point he's actually, explicitly stood behind is that genetics materially impact IQ, and that IQ is causes success (ie earning power).

I'm dubious about any major impact of genetics on the IQ, when weighed against a while heap of environmental shit / inequality of opportunity, etc. Jrpc's view on that bearing is not clear - not explicitly saying he thinks genetics has a bigger impact that environment, but implying as such. Which I disagree with. I would certainly dispute correlation along racial grounds.

And as for IQ being a useful, unbiased measure, I'm again highly suspicious.

And as for the correlation with earning power, I'm highly suspicious that external factors can be factored out.

So yes, I think I disagree with the one thing he's said firmly, but either I've misunderstood, or he's saying dinner things than that in which case I disagree even more firmly.

I don't think I'm being cynical per se.

I also don't think I've had answers to the other bits of this.
    acemuzzy wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    JRPC wrote:
    But IQ is an extremely stong indictor for success.

How does is influence weigh up against inequality of opportunity? I suspect your chances of success are rather higher if you're rich and white with a low IQ, than poor and of colour and of high IQ.

And also, what the fuck is "success"?
    And also, how are environmental factors in how IQ is assessed handled?
    And also, what possible good can come of this? Even if there was a tiny variation, which I don't believe, what sure that allow - not recruiting people because their genetics suggest they're less likely to be successful. Cos yeah that's a world I want to live in.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The bit that does make me a bit cynical is shifting goal posts. Complaints that arguments are being dismissed not engaged with. So eg Face engages with them and shoots them down. And this then has no apparent bearing on jrpc's view on those arguments. Which remain basically unchanged, he just distances himself from them rather than considering alternatives.

Let me ask a more explicit question: jrpc, do you think a person's race affects their intelligence, in more than an utterly manner?
  • He’s doing what cinty wrote about - got a bee planted in his bonnet about “regressive left sjws are censoring free speech! They don’t dare talk about legit science like IQ measures and why blacks are dumber than whites!”, so he’s accusing people of burying their heads in the sand and not engaging and discussing stuff in good faith, but then when people engage in good faith and provide articles and other stuff to back up their viewpoints, guess who’s the one refusing to read them and burying their head in the sand? Weird, eh? Whodathunkit.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Am I the only non-cynic in here right now?
    It's kind of ironic that you've just linked to that Peterson article (which I enjoyed BTW) and not noted the parallels.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Meanwhile, was alerted to this bit of gold. https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve Jordan peterson take down. Which may poison the well if anyone was planning on saying he's great, but it's too entertaining not to share. Pocket tells me its a 54 minute read. The gist can be gotten in under 10 for the time poor.

Current Affairs/Baffler/Jacobin are such a fixture in my media diet now I'm starting to become suspicious they aren't hardcore enough.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    It's hard to work out what jrpc actually thinks. About the only point he's actually, explicitly stood behind is that genetics materially impact IQ, and that IQ is causes success (ie earning power).

I'm dubious about any major impact of genetics on the IQ, wh

Well, I'll let him answer the above, but on genetics, that is what Murray thinks (and what he and Harris say is the majority view of the literature.) the earning power bit is definitely a Murray thing.

The bit you're dubious of, is the bit that Murray is strongest on. Not 100%, for want of a blunt number that hunk used, but 50-80%, and again, both Harris and Murray say this is the consensus view amongst experts.

So, to clarify my question one more time, if what I've just said is an accurate enough description of what Murray thinks, and what Harris agreed with, and if JRPC is defending those points, then fuck a duck, you'll have to explain the difference between defending the those points and defending the bell curve.

• JonB wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Am I the only non-cynic in here right now?
    It's kind of ironic that you've just linked to that Peterson article (which I enjoyed BTW) and not noted the parallels.

No irony. I'm posting links as I go down the various rabbit holes. ;) peterson came up earlier, and lo has he done a poddo with Harris. Which I doubt I could stomach.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The fact my IRL name is Murray is definitely making some of this hard to follow... :-D
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Full disclosure - I've not read any books here or listened to pod casts that have been linked to.
  • But you're doing Gods work and finishing hollow knight, so it's fine.

Also, I wouldn't ordinarily make a big deal of who's read what, but it's been pretty glaring how quickly some things have been dismissed.

I totes reserve the right to not read links and post stuff like "can't talk, at work will comment later." and not do it.

I'm sure I've done it before, in fact.

We're spitballing on a forum, after all.

(Harris doesn't have this excuse, mind, so not doing some reading up on noam when he wants to have a public exchange is a bit rich.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!