Current Affairs
  • JRPC wrote:
    Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter what the figure is
    What?
  • Didn't some research show that poverty is an overriding factor in intelligence? Children adopted from poor families did better at IQ tests than their siblings who stayed with their original parents, or something. I'm pretty sure that anxiety and harmful environments had negative impacts on brain function too.

I don't suppose any current measurement of intelligence is particularly accurate anyhow. Physics students tend to be quite good at a certain way of thinking but absolutely useless at others, which curiously includes problem solving.

I know a guy who was a learning machine and when anything was explained to him he got it straight away. He was just useless at trying to figure anything out for himself, even the smallest of leaps, but once told he could extrapolate like mental as long as no new variables were introduced. Then he couldn't deal with it. I thought it was a lack of confidence but after knowing him for over a decade I'm fairly certain that's not true. He works at Stanford now but he's still a nutter.
  • WorKid wrote:
    You haven't said why that would be linked to "race" which is the crux of the matter. The article seems to be about simple parent - child hereditary linkage.

I'm sorry, as opposed to what exactly?
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Didn't some research show that poverty is an overriding factor in intelligence? Children adopted from poor families did better at IQ tests than their siblings who stayed with their original parents, or something. I'm pretty sure that anxiety and harmful environments had negative impacts on brain function too. I don't suppose any current measurement of intelligence is particularly accurate anyhow. Physics students tend to be quite good at a certain way of thinking but absolutely useless at others, which curiously includes problem solving. I know a guy who was a learning machine and when anything was explained to him he got it straight away. He was just useless at trying to figure anything out for himself, even the smallest of leaps, but once told he could extrapolate like mental as long as no new variables were introduced. Then he couldn't deal with it. I thought it was a lack of confidence but after knowing him for over a decade I'm fairly certain that's not true. He works at Stanford now but he's still a nutter.

Obviously, environment is incredibly important.

For example, war-children were short.

They weren't genetically different from their taller parents or from their own taller offspring, but they were malnourished and didn't reach their genetic set point due to obvious environmental factors.

Intelligence is like height.
  • Like I say I'm not sure intelligence can be measured well enough to have much bearing on anything. IQ tests are generally bullshit.
  • JRPC wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    You haven't said why that would be linked to "race" which is the crux of the matter. The article seems to be about simple parent - child hereditary linkage.

Persistent differences between races.
  • Twin studies are good for this nature v nurture stuff.

Highlighting the insights of Kurt Lewin more than 70 years after his work, the researchers found that socioeconomic background had a major impact on genetic influences on intelligence: More specifically, when twins were reared in high socioeconomic status environments, genes accounted for approximately 72% of variance in intelligence scores between twins. When reared in low socioeconomic status environments, genes accounted for only about 8% of variance in intelligence within the twin pairs.
    The reason for this change in genetic influence based on socioeconomic context? Well, the researchers reasoned that high socioeconomic status environments are enriching, and provide people with the intellectual stimulation necessary to unlock their genetic potential. Low socioeconomic status environments, in contrast, are impoverished, and lack the necessary stimuli to unlock a person's genetic potential. Just like Lewin predicted, the situation shifts how much influence a person's genes have on behavior!
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/under-the-influence/201204/intelligence-is-not-just-genetic
  • Tbh I find the notion of intelligence a bit disturbing. It's too ridiculous an oversimplification of, well, absolutely everything in the history of time.
  • Also: people with lower SES usually have worse nutricial dieting habits and therefore might bump into health problems and developmental difficulties more often; physically and mentally. Might impair and influence IQ development.
    The 2 overlap as the brain is also a physical organ.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • There’s a certain kind of person that’s obsessed with IQ...

70q4hWH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
  • Put all your points into charisma, it's the only metric that counts.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter what the figure is
    What?

Haha! ABANDON SHIP, ABANDON SHIP.
  • When you're blonde and pretty like Trump you don't need to be smart!

Also: IQ isn't really a trait people/nature actually select on so not sure why one population would display more genetic IQ potential over the other as that scenario is unlikely.

However, People do select mates on:

Beauty/health/ (no diseased assymetric people pls)
    SES (How phat is your bank account or the bank account of your parents? Are you of the right class/race?)
    Power (such alpha male leader qualities)

IQ?
    Nerdy people are way down in the attractive que.
    Or they used to be. However, IQ is correlated to SES so it propably hitches a ride with that.
  • Listening to the Murray Harris podcast now.
    Mostly gnawing my teeth, not sure if I can stand 2 hours of this.
    Much bs statements obviously.
    Also Harris kissing Murray's ass continuously starts to grate after a while.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    WorKid wrote:

B b b b b bingo!

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    WorKid wrote:

So you're saying that only genetic variation that affects racial traits are the ones that affect intelligence?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Constantin Reliu, 63, fails to overturn his 2003 death certificate because he appealed too late

Amazing
  • He should do a one-man crime spree.
  • Quick Edit: Can we acknowledge yet, J, that the Pioneer funding is a problem?
    JRPC wrote:
    And just a quick point on how the Bell Curve was funded by nazis. Now I remember hearing or reading that this was a distortion and not actually the case but I can't remember the details. But for the sake or argument even if we accept it as true and that there was a clear nefarious motive behind the work (intention again - very important!) is doesn't necessarily mean that the findings are wrong.

The issue isn't findings, or rather the data, the issue is how they interpret the data, which appears to be to put the cart before the horse because they're conservative assholes.
    Yes, poverty, crime, low intelligence, and high birth rates occur together. These are the data, and they are not in question, although the authors often present the data in misleading ways. What is in question is the way these authors interpreted the data and the “cure” or public policy recommendations that arise from their interpretation. Their interpretation or explanation of the data is influenced by their belief system, and their explanations and beliefs intervene between the data and the public policy recommendations that are built on the data. There is good reason to believe that their interpretation of the data is “tainted” or not as pure or databased as their academic affiliations, thick statistical appendix, and scientific-sounding language make it seem. Consider this quote from The Bell Curve: “The median earning of…workers in 1992 [was] $41,005 for white male graduates with a bachelor’s degree and only $31,001 for black males with a bachelor’s degree” (p. 324). Most readers would interpret these data as evidence of persistent discrimination in the labor market. After all, how else could you explain the finding that even when African- Americans and Whites have the same education, and other variables like sex are held constant, African-Americans are paid much less? The authors conclude that this disparity in income shows how important the differences in intelligence really are. The bias in their interpretation of these data is too obvious too deserve additional comment.
    Either it's true that there is a difference in IQ between different racial groups or it isn't.

Either it's true that genetics plays a role in this difference or it doesn't. 

Whatever the the answers are to those two questions they remain true regardless of the particular political lens you're looking at them through.

Oh, oh, oh, I know, what about environment? Surely there's no confusion about the role it plays? It's just a simple TRUE/FALSE. Surely. 

ffs.
    Follow the Money 
    This Watergate maxim is a good one to follow here. In deciding whom to believe, it is important to determine if the speaker or writer has an ulterior motive in convincing you that a certain conclusion is valid. For example, if the patent holder on a miracle cream that claims to “melt unsightly fat” told you that it was a wonder product, you would be less likely to believe this claim than if you had heard it from an unbiased scientific source with no potential for financial gain. The authors show a particular bias to cite studies that were funded by the infamous Pioneer Fund, which dispenses about $1 million annually to academics who support the idea that intelligence is genetically determined and that humans should be bred selectively for intelligence. I had a brief run-in with some of the academics whose work they have sponsored. In my book entitled Sex Differences in Cognitive Abilities (2nd ed.), I summarized a large body of research on brain size and concluded that although males have, on the average, larger and heavier brains, when these values are adjusted for body size, there is no sex difference. Following the publication of this book, I received an article from Richard Lynn, an Irish researcher, in which he says that his work shows that I am wrong. At first, I gave this rebuke very little thought because it is not unusual for researchers to come up with different findings and different conclusions, although his results were at odds with those reported by virtually all of the other researchers in this field.
    I then received a copy of the Lynn article with a letter from a psychologist whom I know, Philippe Rushton, who is notable for his theory that intelligence is inversely related to penis size. He posits that those males with the largest penises have the lowest intelligence, and furthermore, there are racial differences in both penis size and intelligence. According to Rushton, the racial line-up in descending order of intelligence is Asians, Caucasians, and Africans, with the reverse order for penis size. (No, I don’t know how he collected his data, nor do I know how other ethnic groups fare in this linear array.) This sort of theory is reminiscent of the penis-centered theories of Freud which posited a universal stage of development for boys and girls that he named the phallic stage. The word “phallic” means “penis,” and Freud saw no reason why this stage should have a different name when it referred to female development. Rushton’s penis-centric theory of intelligence suggests that some things never change since he proposes that we can learn about the intelligence of both females and males in an ethnic group by reference to the male anatomy. Much of the contemporary research funded by the Pioneer fund is both racist and sexist. In fact, the founding fathers of this fund were also anti-Semitic with strong ties to the Nazi movement and its goal to rid the world of Jews. There are 23 separate references to Lynn in the bibliography of The Bell Curve and 11 to Rushton. Both of these critics of my work received high praise by Herrnstein and Murray, and, like other frequently cited researchers in The Bell Curve, received large amounts of money from the Pioneer Fund.
    The parallels between sexist and racist theories became more apparent to me when I received a copy of Rushton’s latest research, which was published after The Bell Curve went to press. Based on a study of helmet sizes used by the military, he concluded that African-Americans have smaller heads and therefore smaller brains than Caucasians—a result that mirrors the one by Lynn that compared male and female brains. There are many problems with these studies. Most importantly, brain size, weight, and neural structures depend upon life experiences. That is, our brains respond to our environment, so that we cannot know whether larger and heavier brains caused different life experiences or the experiences caused differences in brain size and weight. Many of the correlates of poverty such as inadequate nutrition, alcohol and other drug use, lack of prenatal and pediatric health care, ingestion of lead-based paint and other toxins, all have negative effects on brain development during the critical prenatal and infancy periods when the brain is most vulnerable. I do not know if the brain weight data are valid, but even if they are, lower brain weight is more likely a consequence of poverty than the reverse. In addition, there is absolutely no evidence that heavy brains are found in smarter people or that skull size is a good measure of brain size. The leaps from the actual data to the conclusions are irresponsible.
    Soon after The Bell Curve was published, I received a FAX and phone call from Linda Gottfredson, a professor at the University of Delaware, who summarized what she believed was the dominant professional view on intelligence. She asked me to sign her summary statement to indicate my support. She explained that this was important so that the media and the public had a single summary statement on intelligence to guide their understanding of the points raised by Herrnstein and Murray. I found her summary troubling as it essentially agreed with Herrnstein and Murray’s conclusions. In fact, I agree with many of the statements made in The Bell Curve, but there are many others that I believe are wrong. I did not sign the statement that appeared in The Wall Street Journal, although 52 other psychologists did. I later learned that she is also supported by the Pioneer Fund. Although there is nothing morally wrong with being financed by people who share an author’s ideological point of view, it is troubling when all of the research that is funded in this manner happens to support the ideology of the funding agency. If you understand the social and political agenda that has financed this work, the next conclusion made by Herrnstein and Murray should not surprise you.

had to return to this. (Extended quotes from the skeptic article.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Quick Edit: Can we acknowledge yet, J, that the Pioneer funding is a problem?
    JRPC wrote:
    And just a quick point on how the Bell Curve was funded by nazis. Now I remember hearing or reading that this was a distortion and not actually the case but I can't remember the details. But for the sake or argument even if we accept it as true and that there was a clear nefarious motive behind the work (intention again - very important!) is doesn't necessarily mean that the findings are wrong.
    The issue isn't findings, or rather the data, the issue is how they interpret the data, which appears to be to put the cart before the horse because they're conservative assholes.
    Yes, poverty, crime, low intelligence, and high birth rates occur together. These are the data, and they are not in question, although the authors often present the data in misleading ways. What is in question is the way these authors interpreted the data and the “cure” or public policy recommendations that arise from their interpretation. Their interpretation or explanation of the data is influenced by their belief system, and their explanations and beliefs intervene between the data and the public policy recommendations that are built on the data. There is good reason to believe that their interpretation of the data is “tainted” or not as pure or databased as their academic affiliations, thick statistical appendix, and scientific-sounding language make it seem. Consider this quote from The Bell Curve: “The median earning of…workers in 1992 [was] $41,005 for white male graduates with a bachelor’s degree and only $31,001 for black males with a bachelor’s degree” (p. 324). Most readers would interpret these data as evidence of persistent discrimination in the labor market. After all, how else could you explain the finding that even when African- Americans and Whites have the same education, and other variables like sex are held constant, African-Americans are paid much less? The authors conclude that this disparity in income shows how important the differences in intelligence really are. The bias in their interpretation of these data is too obvious too deserve additional comment.
    Either it's true that there is a difference in IQ between different racial groups or it isn't.  Either it's true that genetics plays a role in this difference or it doesn't.  Whatever the the answers are to those two questions they remain true regardless of the particular political lens you're looking at them through.
    Oh, oh, oh, I know, what about environment? Surely there's no confusion about the role it plays? It's just a simple TRUE/FALSE. Surely.  ffs.

Sorry Face you've lost me.

Is that directed towards me?

What point have I made that you're arguing against there?

Can you re-phrase?

And again, I have not been defending the Bell Curve here.
  • Genetics isn't an isolated true/false when it comes to intelligence. You've acknowledged as much, which means that claiming genetics plays a role as a true/false is either meaningless, or at best, not all of the equation. Meaning a true/false is a poor mechanism for making decisions on this situation.

We have a tricky to define thing in intelligence, measured by a method as susceptible to human bias as anything, filtered through the findings of an avowed conservative who uses motivated reasoning to draw counter-intuitive findings.

Even if you claim you're not defending the bell curve, you are defending IQ as a measure and being a touch too sure that there are differences between races.

What the above shows is that it'd pay to be very skeptical of any study on racial differences because it appears the only folks who care and spend cash are white supremacists/funded by them. Note how many times various pioneer funded folks are referenced. And sure, they may find out some true things, but it seems to me that you, and, to be frank, Harris, are giving Murray and the findings about race and intelligence way too much of a pass because thte cool kids want to show how rational they are for giving controversial views a "fair" hearing.
  • I'm also asking you to admit that the onus is on you to explain how pioneer fund isn't basically what he SPLC said it was, and given the reference situation and that they funded the direct research for the book you'll need to retract "I seem to remember it was a distortion." I mean I know you've given yourself an out, ie hazy memory, and that's fair. We all get hazy on details and this isn't an academic setting.

However, downplaying this just adds to the look you're willing to give the findings of Murray and Harris a freer pass than the alternatives.
  • goddamit I'm gonna listen to the poddos.
    JRPC wrote:
    [ I think as a full stop to my contribution on IQ and race, and given that people seem to think we’re joined at the hip, here’s a short clip of Sam Harris speaking very sensibly about race and IQ.

Surely Sam can see it follows that if anti-semites would love to know that there's a Jewish gene for hoarding, that they might even fund research to find out.

So while his point sorta stands, why can't he or you, for that matter, see the obvious motivation for this sort of research being funded by white supremacists?
  • All the word "race" means is different characteristics in different groups. There are not actually different races. There is only one human race. 

This isn't a controversial thing to say. 

Again, swap out intelligence for height. If your concerns about the role of genetics suddenly melts away then you're exposing your own prejudices.

Do you think that the Bell Curve, a book published 20 years ago, is the last time intelligence has been studied at a genetic level? The genetic basis of intelligence again is not a controversial subject, and a high-school understanding of genetics should tell you that like height, like skin colour, like blood pressure, and like a whole bunch of other characteristics, there's going to be some level of inter-group variation. None of this is controversial. 

I agree and have said multiple times already that this kind of information can be appropriated by the bad guys or even brought about through bad ethical intentions or methods. But this is precisely why we cannot stick our heads in the sand on this and must deal with the evidence honestly. 

Did you watch that short video I posted? It's Harris questioning the motives and the ethics of those asking these exact questions.

What are we actually disagreeing about?
  • Waht am intelagens.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Did you watch that short video I posted? It's Harris questioning the motives and the ethics of those asking these exact questions. What are we actually disagreeing about?

I can't hand hold you through this much more. I literally quoted the video with a written response. 

Not sure that's quite what harris implies, but again, if we give him that, why does he need to come up with his made up jews are hoarders story, when we have a perfect example of a problematic bit of study, ie the research in and around the bell curve?

Or hey, why do we need to come up with ISIS or whoever it was bombing the US with medicine or whatever his bizarre counterfactual was with Noam, when you could just talk about the bombing of the factory in Sudan?

I've taken to quoting directly from sources in here, so there's a few paras a while back of some of the pioneer fund academics and what they'd been working on, penis size and intelligence, head size as an indicator that black folks where less intelligent, amongst other things. Handwaving about my prejudice is hilarious, the prejudice and bias around all of this lies at the beginning, when these folks decide they're going to do the research.

I look forward to you ignoring a bunch of simple questions.
  • Penis size studies, lol.
    Actually IQ studies are exactly like that, Penis size of the mind!

I remember like gonzo, my uni had stuff in the loo scribbled on the wall. Supposedly forms for reaearch purposes.
    Guys could fill in penis size, age and race.
    The results were inconclusive with everyone having giant penises.
  • My iq is exactly the same as the size of my penis in mm

• @Face

Ok this is becoming frustrating

You're talking past me but are so satisfied that you're hitting the bullseye.

Facewon wrote:
    ]I'm also asking you to admit that the onus is on you to explain how pioneer fund isn't basically what he SPLC said it was, and given the reference situation and that they funded the direct research for the book you'll need to retract "I seem to remember it was a distortion." I mean I know you've given yourself an out, ie hazy memory, and that's fair. We all get hazy on details and this isn't an academic setting. However, downplaying this just adds to the look you're willing to give the findings of Murray and Harris a freer pass than the alternatives.

Not only did I not downplay it but I granted you the worst possible motives for the funding of their research.

I have no interest at all in defending the financial backing of a 20-year-old book that I have not read nor am ever likely to read. Why on earth would I?

Read these paragraphs again. This is a good summary of everything I'm trying to say about this subject.

All the word "race" means is different characteristics in different groups. There are not actually different races. There is only one human race. 

This isn't a controversial thing to say. 

Do you think that the Bell Curve, a book published 20 years ago, is the last time intelligence has been studied at a genetic level? The genetic basis of intelligence again is not a controversial subject, and a high-school understanding of genetics should tell you that like height, like skin colour, like blood pressure, and like a whole bunch of other characteristics, there's going to be some level of inter-group variation. None of this is controversial. 

I agree and have said multiple times already that this kind of information can be appropriated by the bad guys or even brought about through bad ethical intentions or methods. But this is precisely why we cannot stick our heads in the sand on this and must deal with the evidence honestly.

What here do you think you an I are actually disagreeing about?
  • Brooks wrote:
    Waht am intelagens.

Srsly i mus no.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!