FPS Genre - Where to now?
  • I want a game thats a cross between Geist and Outrigger and Timesplitters. Arena combat where you play as cats on coasters and can possess bowls of dog food.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I loved Timesplitters. Unashamedly arcady, great single player set pieces and most of all it was fun.
  • That reminds me, what happened to ShootMania? That looked really exciting but I've not heard anything about it for a while.

• or

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    That reminds me, what happened to ShootMania? That looked really exciting but I've not heard anything about it for a while.

I was about to post the exact same thing. I bought it and then immediately ignored it (well done, me). PC issues are preventing me from finding out myself.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Play Blands 2 now. It's incredible. I'll lend you the 360 version for a bit if ya want.

Free to play all weekend on Steam, £10 to buy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No chance of my battered, old MacBook running it. Cheers anyway,
  • I used to be a bit of a fan when I migrated to the 360 after the Gamecube and just found myself getting insanely bored of them after one year. I like FPS's that don't really feel like the usual twitch affairs, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress openly enforce team work, rather than just give you the option. This sort of thing I can be doing with. Can't be doing with military based shooters, I enjoyed COD:MW2 but everything after just felt like retrogressive and tired. Even Battlefield 3 lost its edge for me after a few weeks.

I've never really liked the idea of unlocking equipment and abilities either, why punish new players?

Every time I see a new trailer for one I just roll my eyes these days. Even Titanfall which supposedly (to some extent) gave the genre a bit of fresh air didn't appeal.

I'd like to see more of the Doom/Resi4 apporach to design maybe. The whole fun over reality and cohesiveness approach. I think I'd enjoy a bit more slapstick as well, I loved Timesplitters and Metal Arms, local MP setting up a shit load of your own games with AI bots. They all seem to be so fucking serious and 'epic' these days its just kinda stale.

The idea of shooting a man dressed as a duck appeals far more.
  • This popping up made me watch a Shootmania trailer again. Still looks like the most appealing multiplayer shooter about. Might have a go on the demo, see if anyone's actually playing still.

• that actually looks alright
  • That's what I thought and I've been bored of multiplayer FPS for over a decade; last one I enjoyed was Unreal Tournament 2003.
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    I've never really liked the idea of unlocking equipment and abilities either, why punish new players?

Rewarding continued play isn't punishing new players. CoD4s online unlock progress is a masterclass. The weapon you start with is not worse than any other but new players will want to move from three shot bursts to full auto.

Encouraging you to get 10 kills with this weapon thru that scope while lying down almost guarantees you'll find your style and has the added benefit of spicing up online matched if there's one guy that's trying desperately to get a multi kill by throwing c4.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I dunno, what about that perk where you got to hold 2 weapons, that was pretty shocking and didn't unlock for a while, I'm certainly no expert but as an amateur at those games I felt a bit bewildered
  • They should have extended Halo 3's decorative armour upgrades.
  • I didn't think you liked Halo?
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    I dunno, what about that perk where you got to hold 2 weapons,
    I can't remember that perk but I do remember having issues with the perks upgrade path in general.

• IanHamlett wrote:
    CoD4s BFBC2's online unlock progress is a masterclass. The weapon you start with is not worse than any other but new players will want to move from three shot bursts to full auto.

CoD did ok, but there were clearly upgrades that gave people too much of an advantage. IMO. (I played a fair chunk of CoD, certainly enough to form a solid opinion, I reckon.)

BFBC2, to me, was the best at it. It had some weird decisions early in the progression (medics basically not able to be medics until they unlocked stuff), but the guns were really well balanced. The unlocking was just gravy on top of an awesome and varied roast.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    I didn't think you liked Halo?

I loved 2 and liked 3. 4 was lols for the butt ache it caused.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    and has the added benefit of spicing up online matched if there's one guy that's trying desperately to get a multi kill by throwing c4.

Who might not care about losing as long as he gets that multi-kill with C4.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    and has the added benefit of spicing up online matched if there's one guy that's trying desperately to get a multi kill by throwing c4.

Who might not care about losing as long as he gets that multi-kill with C4.

Yep. That is also the downside.

See also mongoose mowdown achievement in H3.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Winning a round feels good but a 10 min round has maybe 30-50 encounters that you can win or lose. When I think of great online moments, the winning screen isn't in there.

To answer the op, this generation is going to be about maneuverability. Just like the way some NES games feel clunky because you can't crouch, I think most modern shooters will feel like playing in treacle because you can't double jump into a wallrun then pull yourself onto a ledge.

If you dislike the word "verticality", you're not going to like the next few years.
  • For multiplayer, I'd want a fast paced free-for-all on small maps. If a developer could put its heart and soul into an XBLA throwback arena game (without the standard online teething problems) it would definitely interest me. For single player, I think I'm done, and have been since I gave up on Halo 4's campaign. The genre is a casualty of my decision not to make eyes at everything with stratospheric metacritic ratings.
  • Its interesting how one aspect of fps's which halo and cod brought to the forefront and then was championed by BF is the idea of using machines and interacting with them in combat. The guy who conjured up putting a wharthog in mp was a fucking genius. It has just the right balance of risk/reward. 

I'm suprised we haven't seen more stuff like MAG.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Winning a round feels good but a 10 min round has maybe 30-50 encounters that you can win or lose. When I think of great online moments, the winning screen isn't in there. To answer the op, this generation is going to be about maneuverability.

It doesn't just affect the final screen. It affects the whole balance of the game. I'm talking about the entire duration of the round, not a specific moment. Are you seriously telling me you don't find it frustrating when you find a player on your team who isn't trying to do the objective of the game?

I include in that btw people playing objective who treat it like deathmatch.

For the record though, I find winning and losing to be quite important in games. I'm less fussed if I lose because the other side were just better. If someone wasn't pulling their weight, or was away, that pisses me right off.
  • Since the topic started, Titanfall has been released, didn't set the world on fire. The only sure thing I'd take from that is a generic campaign is better than no campaign for sales.

Destiny looks huge, but it also looks like an evolution of Halo rather than a revolution.
  • AJ wrote:
    This popping up made me watch a Shootmania trailer again. Still looks like the most appealing multiplayer shooter about. Might have a go on the demo, see if anyone's actually playing still.

Q3A returns like a motherfucker. Though it ain't the same without Ken Scott's textures:

p_sarge.jpg
  • I_R wrote:
    Destiny looks huge, but it also looks like an evolution of Halo rather than a revolution.
    The actual running and shooting is very Halo but it's the MMO wrapping that's the big deal.
  • For the record though, I find winning and losing to be quite important in games. I'm less fussed if I lose because the other side were just better. If someone wasn't pulling their weight, or was away, that pisses me right off.
    It can be annoying if you're on a team full of retards or if the other team are using shady tactics but even that can be rewarding. I was playing against a bunch of cunts on a team of clowns once. The cunts had a building locked down and my clowns were trying to make a human pyramid or some shit. I ran into the building and killed six of the eight man team before they took me down.

We got absolutely pasted that round but I didn't feel like I'd lost.
  • I'm not denying that there can be moments of satisfaction, but for the most part in that scenario I'd mostly be feeling frustration.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!