GOTG -PS360 gen- RESULTS AND AWARDS!!! (Mario Galaxy wins)
  • See, I've never had moments like that.  So I would count Wii Sports as one of the biggest pile of crap ever.  Cos that's what my experience of it was.  3 guys in a room who got bored of it in a matter of minutes and just played Halo instead.

And do you really rate CoD that much?! Also, why Halo 4 ahead of the others?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Fucking page turn.  Worst game ever
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    See, I've never had moments like that.  So I would count Wii Sports as one of the biggest pile of crap ever.  Cos that's what my experience of it was.  3 guys in a room who got bored of it in a matter of minutes and just played Halo instead. And do you really rate CoD that much?! Also, why Halo 4 ahead of the others?

I'll start with Halo 4... I'm not considering Halo 4 on objective, technical terms here... I've brought it up mostly because it clearly symbolizes what the industry now means to wider (western) society...

The entire franchise is a cultural flashpoint, but if you mention Halo to people, they'll probably think of 4, before 3. 

Hardcore fans will reference 2 (indeed, many preferred it to 3, iirc)... Gaming enthusiasts (like us) will mention the first game, but the fuck if it was the best...

The fourth game cemented the legacy...

Me? I'm not a big FPS fan, so I don't give shit, anyway. : P

Wii Sports on the other hand... 
    That Wii Sports session was an epiphany of a kind for me.

I've always liked the bowling and the baseball homerun contest myself... Loved the simplicity and the reliance on an intuitive set of skills. But I did not realise just how intuitive the Wiimote was as an input device, until I heard my aunt explain how to put spin on the bowling bowl to my 10 year old cousin...

There will always be a place for 8 directions and 6+ buttons, but the Wiimote is ahead of it's time, and Wii-Sports is still the only game to examine it in any detail.

In fact, the Wii-mote might still actually make more sense than Xbone Kinect.

There are plenty of complaints to be leveled against the next gen Kinect, despite it's undisputed (yes... It's a technical marvel) sophistication.

There were no such problems with the Wiimote.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I was hoping that we wouldn't have to start differentiating between what we thought was the best game of the generation and which had the biggest cultural impact.

I don't understand voting for an FPS if you don't like the genre, I can admire how close to perfection SF4 was but won't be voting for it because I don't play fighters.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    I was hoping that we wouldn't have to start differentiating between what we thought was the best game of the generation and which had the biggest cultural impact.

No other game does what Wii Sports does, and you can't name a game that's more widely played than CoD.

Ooo... Except possibly FIFA.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Christ, I'd take any iOS game over Wii Sports.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I was hoping that we wouldn't have to start differentiating between what we thought was the best game of the generation and which had the biggest cultural impact.

No other game does what Wii Sports does, and you can't name a game that's more widely played than CoD.

Ooo... Except possibly FIFA.

What was your favourite game of the generation?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can't name a newspaper more widely read than the Daily Mail.

NOAT!
  • @Dready: But dude. That would make them other peoples GOTG. Not yours.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I can't name a newspaper more widely read than the Daily Mail.

NOAT!

Ha, fuck.

• I don't care if Halo 4 did more cementing or brick laying. It was shit compared to every previous entry.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The MP is very good indeed.
  • I turned it off when those new dull as fuck new enemies appeared which was probably about fifteen mins in.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    No other game does what Wii Sports does, and you can't name a game that's more widely played than CoD. Ooo... Except possibly FIFA.
    What was your favourite game of the generation?

Street Fighter 4. 

I bought my Xbox for it. But growing up with videogames, I look at CoD, at one end of the spectrum, and Wii Sports at the other, and accept that they changed the industry drastically.

That's why I'm voting for them.

If you're voting for a GOTG, then you have to acknowledge factors that transcend technological concerns.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    @Dready: But dude. That would make them other peoples GOTG. Not yours.

Nope.

Because those games are shaping what we are all playing.

As for Halo 4, wasn't the level builder thingy really well received?
  • Yossarian wrote:

Haven't played it in a while. Have they gotten rid of weapon drops and given better maps since now? Balanced out the weapons? Couple of those Promethean guns were ridicilols.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    @Dready: But dude. That would make them other peoples GOTG. Not yours.
    Nope. Because those games are shaping what we are all playing.

They're shaping what some or a lot of people are playing. Not everyone. Anything that plays or looks like CoD, I avoid like the plague. And I stopped playing footy games about 10 years ago cos they got samey and boring.

So therefore my GOTG will be different to the CoDs and FIFAs and Wii Sports of this world.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I reckon you just need to vote for the games you thought were the best. Fuck influence and sales, if it played well it's on my list.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I reckon you just need to vote for the games you thought were the best. Fuck influence and sales, if it played well it's on my list.

Ok... Then my list stays the same, and I'm justifying it by saying that I'm voting for the games that I feel have stood out the most for me this generation.

Semantical, innit? : P
  • Christ, I'd take any iOS game over Wii Sports.

Wii zappers at dawn. You and me.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The more I stare at game covers in my collection I think the only fair way i'd be able to vote shit is play all my favourite last gen games again for a refresh. And nah.
  • Halo 4 cemented fuck all.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Halo 4 wanted money up front.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I reckon you just need to vote for the games you thought were the best.

Thought were the best as you played them, or think are the best now, looking back? The latter seems more sensible to me, and I'm kinda with dynamite that it's hard to avoid that at least slightly reflecting the ripples the game left elsewhere.

(And, joking aside, that's part of the reason I find voting for Journey do odd. I can see it might have given short-term joy, but can't see how it holds up to scrutiny on reflection.)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Haven't played it in a while. Have they gotten rid of weapon drops and given better maps since now? Balanced out the weapons? Couple of those Promethean guns were ridicilols.

They haven't gotten rid of ordnance altogether, but there are now many game types which only offer the guns on the map, and most of these let you use either no or a very limited selection of armour abilities meaning no more invis snipers. There are also better maps, both official ones in the map packs (although not all of them are great), plus forge maps coming online. And they have balanced the weapons, although the lolcannon and beam rifle are still one hit kills, but now you see them far, far less often in games.

With all of those tweaks, the Halo 4 MP is at least as good as 3's was.
  • Demon's Souls and SF4 changed everything, so them.
  • @Yoss: I might have to give it a run next time I visit my Halol friends, but the campaign was gash and that still ranks 4 as the worst Halo for me. If Halo was just about mp only then it wouldn't tank that much higher than CoD.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The campaign wasn't that bad. I don't get why everyone keeps on banging on about how terrible it was. At least they tried to do something new by introducing a new range of enemies. They would have been damned if they'd stuck to the same old thing, but they tried something new and are instead getting damned for that.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    (And, joking aside, that's part of the reason I find voting for Journey do odd. I can see it might have given short-term joy, but can't see how it holds up to scrutiny on reflection.)

Yes, joking aside, would you say we should consider replayability here? If someone who has never played Journey before played it now, it would be just as great as if played on release. But it is indeed almost a play-once kinda game. Then again, most singleplayer games aren't as enjoyable second time through. If they are, that's a great bonus but given the amount of games out there waiting to be played, replaying a singleplayer isn't the highest in a lot of people's agendas. I haven't replayed Skyward Sword, but if I did, I doubt I would enjoy it anywhere near as much as my first playthrough.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The campaign wasn't that bad. I don't get why everyone keeps on banging on about how terrible it was. At least they tried to do something new by introducing a new range of enemies. They would have been damned if they'd stuck to the same old thing, but they tried something new and are instead getting damned for that.

It's not the 'new' that makes it bad. And new doesn't automatically make something good. The Prometheans were terrible. The narrative was terrible for a game that already didn't exactly have the best story/characters. Chief and Cortana? Really?? Please! At least don't make it so cringe worthy. 

And the levels were just dull, with bad layout and pacing. I only enjoyed one of the later levels where you have to disable that big machine. Lots of nice little battles with some down time in between.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!