GOTG -PS360 gen- RESULTS AND AWARDS!!! (Mario Galaxy wins)
  • beano wrote:
    Some snobbery going down.

It's not snobbery, its experience. The games I've played on a phone have been basically all shit. Or at best yeah, it's alright, but would be better with a pad.

As for TWD, personally, I can't see how it would have been any more affecting on a tiny screen right next to me than it was on the big screen on the wall. Which I didn't share with anyone.

Maybe there are some amazing games out there that can only be played on a phone, and wouldn't be better on a Vita. But I haven't played any of them.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Refer to 'Or' statement. Also it wasn't directed ly solely at your complaint; re: mobile, other platforms, some other stuff.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As for TWD, personally, I can't see how it would have been any more affecting on a tiny screen right next to me than it was on the big screen on the wall.

It became a world I was directly affecting through touch rather than via the medium of a joypad. Plus, it allowed the game to travel with me. As I say, playing it in bed made the whole thing somehow closer to me.

Tablets are simply more intimate devices than TVs, or even PCs.
  • Get a Hybrid - :) best of both worlds!

FTL in bed with the lights out is quite fun.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    7. X-com: Enemy Within (ps3) Havent played the update  but that doesnt stop the original being absolute great fun - building up a squad hasnt been this much fun since Football manager. Non-bloody, sweary design also worth a mention, this is a game that enjoys its b-movie flavour.

Did you mean Enemy Unknown?  Enemy Within is the update, which you say you haven't played.  I may be mistaken though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • No, you are right. I do love the new additions in Enemy Within though and hopefully I can pick it up cheap in the new year. I did (of course) mean Enemy Unknown. Cracker of a game.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Ah fuck i forgot ALL THE ROCKBANDs.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    @dante:  mobile games.......Isnt the vita a mobile device.
    Im thinking a few could be contendors though not top 10 of the gen.

Superstardust delta
    Gravity rush
    Lumines
    Lone survivor 
    HOTLINE FUCKING MIAMI
    Wipeout (hd tracks not 2040 somethings)
    Virtua tennis
    EVERYBODYS FUCKING GOLF

And 1 that must enter my top whatever just for amount of time played...........
    treasures of montezuma blitz.

Edit: Not even mentioned tearaway, lbp and guacamale.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Placeholder list, will sort the order out/trim it soon:

Trials
    Trials Evolution
    Super Meat Boy
    Portal
    Portal 2
    Mario Galaxy
    Mario Galaxy 2
    Uncharted 2
    World of Goo
    Bayonetta
    Red Dead Redemption
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Mass Effect 2
    Scene It: Lights, Camera, Action (whether it counts as a game or not I've had hours of quiz fun with both 360 versions)
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Sin & Punishment 2
    'Splosion Man
    Pixeljunk Shooter
    Gears of War
    Forza 2
    Skyward Sword
    Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise
  • The vita has buttons, so no.
  • I can't quite keep track of what on Earth people are talking about in terms of allowed consoles / devices. The best way to define this generation though is by release date, not as some people seem to be doing, of when it's successor gets released in relation to a home console's lifespan and how many buttons it has, or because some one doesn't like puzzle games, or whatever the hell the argument is. 

This gen is represented by PS3, 360, PSP, DS. iOS and Android should also be eligible. The represents the most popular gaming devices released roughly all within a 2-3 year period.  

There are other ways of drawing the lines around this but they're all inferior.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But what about the Wiiiiiiiiiii(U)?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Thinking about quality touch screen controls again if not necessarily GotG as great as it is: Cut the Rope. That wouldn't work with any other control method.
  • And the Where's My..... series.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've downloaded Where's My Water, I'm yet to play it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Angry Birds is another "better with touch" one.
    And Flight Control (multitouch ftw)
    And Trainyard

... possible GotG fodder there actually ...!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Come to think of it, The Room could be played with a mouse, but I doubt it would work as well.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The fact is, it's a new input method. If you try to shoehorn games designed around a different input method onto a touchscreen device, it won't work as well, but if you create games with that input method in mind, it can work brilliantly. It's the same for all input methods that ever have and ever will be devised.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Unless any of you are going to pick these games in your ten then this is all moot. No one is arguing that the control scheme isn't good for some games, it's that those games aren't good enough to break into the top ten games of this generation.

Five consoles worth of games over eight or so years and you're talking about Angry cunting Birds? Where's my ball, my Ma's shouting that my tea is ready.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As I say, Plants Vs Zombies is a serious consideration, based on the touch screen version. I've yet to play Device 6, but that could well be a contender.
  • All I'm saying is there's no need to rule games out based on format. I doubt I'd have a 'mobile' game in my top 10, but the debate is good and I might hear of some good games I otherwise would have missed.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fuck you and your debate.

Where's My Water is good though, I'll give you that.
  • Virtua tennis was Dreamcast originally no?
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Some other possibilities I've come up with:

Mass Effect 2
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
    Braid
    Peggle
    Mark of the Ninja
    Bastion
    Little King's Story
    Dead Space: Extraction
    Sin & Punishment 2
    No More Heroes
    Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

I'm sure there's more I haven't remembered yet. Trying to recall what else I had on DS that was really good. I played Disgaea a lot but that doesn't count, and Fire Emblem on that was a remake.
  • Vanquish should be on the list!
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Looking at my 360 activity list, there's a lot of stuff that's good, and quite a few I gave up on, but only a few really stand out titles. It's been a great machine for the number of well made, solidly playable games, but not so much for real classics, IMO.
  • JonB wrote:
    Mark of the Ninja

I wouldn't be surprised if this makes it in eventually for me, but I've still not played past the demo levels.  Loved it though.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's one of the three games I've bothered to get all achievements on, so it must be doing something right. Even if it is just having achievements actually worth getting.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    But what about the Wiiiiiiiiiii(U)?
    Ah yes, and the Wii of course. 

As said above by folks, it is all a bit moot. Cut the Rope and beat sneak bandit are probably as perfect as you can get but with the best will in the world I'm still going to be able to come up with 10 games I like more on the home consoles.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    1: Wii Sports.
    2: CoD Modern Warfare
    3: Street Fighter 4

Also rans... GoW, Portal, Fez, The Room (can I count that?), Halo 4, Left 4 Dead, Rockstar/Guitar Hero.

Guitar Hero could actually edge out Street Fighter 4, given that the game was blatantly a sign of the times, but SF4 represents a glimmer of hope for me...

A hardcore game, that found mass appeal at a time when everyone was selling the fuck out...

Capcom just said - 'Fuck it, Lets just make a new Street Fighter game... WTF do you mean it won't sell!!?' - Produced it, and created a blueprint that will last for many generations to come...

CoD's just there, because... Well... CoD.

I don't think any of us can really nail down why CoD became a multi-million pound franchise, because most of us (on here at least) find it banal...

But it is what it is.

As for Wii Sports... That wins GOTG by a country mile for me.

Was round my aunts' on boxing day... 

20 of us in a room. The poor woman had been through a lot this year... So I was quite surprised to hear her talk about how much she had got into Wii Sports bowling when she had the strength and the time to do so... Talking about how she regularly beat the grandkids on the game, while the said grandkids, and my nephew, played a 4 player session with my niece, my mother, and my cousin cheering them on... My aunty dropping gameplay hints...

How Nintendo managed to fuck up with the Wii-U, I can't say. But I think back to my childhood, going through Super Mario 3 level by level on my jack-jones, and that epic family Wii-Sports session, only to realise just how far the medium has come...

True, the Wii-mote was under utilized, but it wasn't a gimmick.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!