NFS: Rivals
  • This and BF4 are gonna me my first and only 2 purchases until I get my Xmas Amazon vouchers from family/friends.  I have never played a NFS game in my life so want to try one out - I love arcade racers.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    ...as midnight Thursday draws closer I think the chances of me not getting this are getting slimmer. Because I game less and less I was going to try and not waste my money so much next gen so really I should swap Dead Rising for NFS but it's all new and shiny, shiny!
  • I read that the new dev, Ghost, is mainly staffed by ex Criterion staff! No wonder it's so polished.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I assume there'll be no cross-platform leaderboards or anything good like that? Moto, flip back and get this on PS4 :-)
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    It'd be good if there were multi-platform leaderboards. I wonder why there isn't?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    They are multiplatform aren't they? I thought the EA ID system pulled in your friends stuff from wherever they were playing?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    They are multiplatform aren't they? I thought the EA ID system pulled in your friends stuff from wherever they were playing?
    Ooh! Awesome!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Thats great news if so! But will I be able to get perm on my ea friend list somehow, or is that hard-tied to platform
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Maybe I'm getting confused. But I could have sworn that's what the last couple of NFS games did. I could be spectacularly wrong though.
  • How does it know who your friends are if they're on another system and not in your friends list?!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Thats great news if so! But will I be able to get perm on my ea friend list somehow, or is that hard-tied to platform
    This would be good if it is a possibility.

Ali wrote:
    How does it know who your friends are if they're on another system and not in your friends list?!
    This is what made me question it myself.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Maybe I'm getting confused. But I could have sworn that's what the last couple of NFS games did. I could be spectacularly wrong though.

last few nfs defo did not do this.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Right...after doing some checking you could do that, but only on the website not in game. So there were cross-platform leaderboards.. on the web. Further checking reveals they've actually shut down all the NFS websites in prep for the new game. Good old EA.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Ali wrote:
    How does it know who your friends are if they're on another system and not in your friends list?!
    This is what made me question it myself.
    Unless it's through EA's origin? I seem to remember you could add friends to that but it was such a faff to do so I never saw the point.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Right...after doing some checking you could do that, but only on the website not in game. So there were cross-platform leaderboards.. on the web. Further checking reveals they've actually shut down all the NFS websites in prep for the new game. Good old EA.

They're open today. I just logged in and changed my avatar.
  • OK. So, here's my official review after 60 minutes of playing.

It feels exactly like the last three Need For Speed games made by Criterion.

Take what you want from that.

7/10
  • google wrote:
    OK. So, here's my official review after 60 minutes of playing. It feels exactly like the last three Need For Speed games made by Criterion. Take what you want from that. 7/10

Considering HP (yay!) and MW (boo!) were like chalk and cheese that's not massively helpful.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    google wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    They're open today. I just logged in and changed my avatar.

For Rivals. I've just logged in and they're pretending the other games don't exist. Which is probably a good thing.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Considering HP (yay!) and MW (boo!) were like chalk and cheese that's not massively helpful.

It's essentially the openworldness of MW mixed with the different disciplines of HP without any loading screens.
  • So is anybody at all going current gen on this? Anyone?...

..... Hello?

C'mon, you lot will need a distraction from BF4 crashing all the time. Wink.
  • If it's actually good, it'll be £25 by the time we find out. I'll get it then.

Edit: All the stories about sales of everything being down because people are waiting for next gen - everything will be £25 before Christmas. Happy days.
  • Layoffs hit Ghost Games' UK office, unannounced NFS title mothballed

That's looking like the end of Criterion then. Rivals probably sold terribly and I thought Most Wanted was pretty awful, but it's still a sad state of affairs.
  • Aye, saw that yesterday. Sorry for those losing their jobs. Feels like a consequence of EA's continued mismanagement of the NFS brand. Hot Pursuit really should have been the launch pad for a successful reboot of the series. However you could see issues from the off with the calamitous handling of the online MP. The Run shouldn't have seen the light of day, Most Wanted felt like it needed another year of development and some more much needed content. MW may have been the bitter pill that forced many away from Rivals as it did me, despite the positive reception.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Rivals got stale very quickly.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • I still like Rivals but it's biggest issue is that it only supports 8 people in a lobby which is nowhere near enough to reach the ambitions they had for integrating cops and racers. You barely see another real human driving in a session and the AI drivers are no contest.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    Rivals got stale very quickly.
    I played about 5 mins of it.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    It smelt as if it was designed around a everyone always on, cloud peered mega-future before budgets, deadlines and reality network infrastructure stepped in to kill all the aspirations. 
    It looks pretty enough..
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Yeah, as above. Got this earlier in the week on the cheap, had a few goes, quite nice, but it feels like an on-line only tribute to earlier games. Technically a little shonky as well. Had one host migration this morning that reset with three cop cars right behind me when I'd been free and clear and my session finished with an alarming crash.

Feels like the focus is on everything but the racing as well, when I'd rather just race.
  • This is growing on me, the handling is excellent and it is very shiny, if not quite as crisp as some of the stills EA put out at launch. Not sure if it has legs of course and the flaws are numerous, worthwhile cheap I suppose.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What are you playing this on? I need to give it another whirl now I have internet, would be nice to have some, uh, rivalry going. I'm PS4.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!