isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    One of the devs from rivals suggests the current gen version will look/run a bit worse than Most Wanted due to it's open worldiness. It's a next gen racer shoehorned out of the FPS/3rd Person Frostbite 3 engine really by all accounts.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It's encouraging that they've managed to get both next gen versions looking near enough identical if Frostbite 3 is going to proliferate through more and more EA games. The state of BF4 on 360/PS3 isn't very encouraging for those planning to stick on this gen for a long time.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    It's encouraging that they've managed to get both next gen versions looking near enough identical if Frostbite 3 is going to proliferate through more and more EA games. The state of BF4 on 360/PS3 isn't very encouraging for those planning to stick on this gen for a long time.

I don't know , i think some of Bf4 looks great on the 360 ( multiplayer )
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • After MW, I will be exercising a Need For Caution before I ever dip my toe into the series again.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Webbins wrote:
    After MW, I will be exercising a Need For Caution before I ever dip my toe into the series again.
    Surely that's akin to saying you dont like Need for Speed Underground so you're not going to play Need for Speed: Shift? They're completely separate games, development teams and platforms.
  • Yes, but MW came off the back of HP, both Criterion, the latter a pale shadow of the former. I'd look into this a bit more tbf, but I'm not overtly positive given EA's track record. I'd be more hopeful if it was Playground, next gen Horizon will be sweet.

Edit - that is to say I expected the quality to flow from HP to MW because of Criterion alone, it didn't.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • MW a mere shadow of HP?! Bah! Makes me angry that I didn't jump onto HP and am playing MW now. But I'm enjoying MW anyway. Guess I don't know what I'm missing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Yes, but MW came off the back of HP, both Criterion, the latter a pale shadow of the former. I'd look into this a bit more tbf, but I'm not overtly positive given EA's track record. I'd be more hopeful if it was Playground, next gen Horizon will be sweet. Edit - that is to say I expected the quality to flow from HP to MW because of Criterion alone, it didn't.

I've actually been unethused with most of Criterion's recent efforts. I'm glad that this looks a little more 'horizon-like' in that it's a big, open world with constant events happening.

That was my issue with MW. The constant loading in and out of the city was fucking awful.
  • @Elf - I meant MW was a pale shadow of HP but I think you got that even though I may have muddled it.

Hot Pursuit is undoubtedly the arcade racing game of this gen for me. The heart pumping conjured online, leading a field whilst the likes of Frantic, Iain, Sparky, Mod, Grem, Gav, etc. hunt you down, two miles from the finish on a tortuous twisted night time stretch of Colorado, I'm surprised a coronary wasn't oncoming.
  • Erm. Oh yeah. You got it wrong with the use of 'latter', but I read it wrong and the negatives cancelled out so all is well in the world!!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Throw Most Wanted in the bin now and grab a copy of Hot Pursuit asap.
  • No need to bin it now, he'll be finished it in a fortnight.

Which is why the franchise has a problem now that goes beyond the developer, EA have cut the content of these by a ridiculous amount in order to sell DLC. Hot Pursuit could be played for a year, Most Wanted really was a few weeks, the one in between was apparently worse.
  • I keep forgetting about The Run. EA need to stop approaching their non-football titles with the FIFA mentality. The reboot of NFS with Criterion and HP should have been a clean sheet. It is a great game, with enough content to satisfy straight out of the box. The DLC came quick enough though, and the botching of the updates killed it as an online concern for anyone other than friends who could sync updates and play together. MW felt scraped together to satisfy a release slot, it annoyed because I/we wanted HP2. Hopefully Rivals is as it sounds, the spiritual successor to HP, but I wouldn't be in a rush to be day one as I was with MW.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    This talk of NFS's gone by has me slightly worried, it's one thing taking a punt when I can get it for £35 with two pairs of undies but quite another picking it up on launch day for £50 (before discounts)...
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Throw Most Wanted in the bin now and grab a copy of Hot Pursuit asap.

Will do. Well, not throw it in the bin, but just get some more out of it and then get HP.

Next gen and Rivals (or anything else) can wait until I've given this gen more of a run.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Rivals is getting some good write-ups, some folk are saying it's the best thing on the PS4 at the mo...
  • Gaaaahhh don't tempt me!!!
  • Moto70 wrote:
    This talk of NFS's gone by has me slightly worried, it's one thing taking a punt when I can get it for £35 with two pairs of undies but quite another picking it up on launch day for £50 (before discounts)...

I will review it officially for you all on Monday.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    Rivals is getting some good write-ups, some folk are saying it's the best thing on the PS4 at the mo...

I'm not surprised, seeing as there's bugger all else out of worth besides BF4.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Some gameplay here

Looking good, if familiar.
  • Really suffers from looking current gen in the way Drive Club did at times. That being delayed seems to be the best thing that's happened to this, free run at being the only next gen arcade racer. Might need to be played on a big TV to appreciate it I suppose.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I just wish they'd go back to generic cars that could be totally flattened. Assuming not being able to do that to licensed cars is still a thing.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Deformation modelling might be a bastard to get into a launch game? 
    What happened to that tech demo from way back when about Yoots driving into walls and things and showing far more realistic damage? Has that made it int anything yet? Destruction Derby or that Flat Out sequel maybe? Another question mark perhaps? Maybe?

Edit: Looks like it evolved from this Cry3 thing into a Kickstarter jobbie from Finland. 
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I just wish they'd go back to generic cars that could be totally flattened. Assuming not being able to do that to licensed cars is still a thing.
    I'm pretty sure that I once read that this isn't actually a real thing and never has been, no manufacturer has ever specified no damage in-game.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Some gameplay here Looking good, if familiar.
    I watched this at 8am this morning and this is what stopped me pre-ordering it today, the same old let's have somebody absolutely shit playing a game. It put me off and made me realise that if I have only an hour to play and given a choice between banging in 50 laps in a KTM trying to nail a time in Forza or playing this with fucktards like him online at the same time the KTM would win every single time.

With my gaming time becoming more limited I have to go with what I know I enjoy and repetitive laps is where I find myself at home.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that I once read that this isn't actually a real thing and never has been, no manufacturer has ever specified no damage in-game.
    I think damage is OK, Crash Junctions and explosions were the problem.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Watching Jeff Gerstmann's Twitter this sounds very buggy right now.

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Eurogamer Review

Overall Score:
    Spoiler:
  • Mod74 wrote:

NFS has always had licensed cars though. The first game even had the Road & Track license as well. NFS without license is Burnout. Yes, I'd like a Burnout game ageing, especially as good as Paradise, but the two are separate entities. And I want Road Rash first...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I loved that first Road & Track game!

I might even pick up a sub to the magazine again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!