Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • 77. The Northman
    Robert Eggers third film has Alexander Skarsgard vowing bloody vengeance on the murderer of his Viking King father. Whilst not as outstanding as The Lighthouse or The VVitch, this is a gorgeously shot, brutal and bleak story full of hairy shouting berserkers chopping bits off of each other inbetween brooding, hallucinating and all talking like Bjork. 9
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Scrooge (1970)  I'm not that much of a musical liker, never mind a lover, and Tiny Tim is always going to be slightly nauseating but Albert Finney puts on a great display here in the lead; not least physically - playing a man older than himself and still throwing himself around with fake restriction. Some of the songs are inevitably a bit mawkish but when they get it right you can't fault the scale and scope of some of the numbers. Great support cast too with lots of Brit faces from the era on show. And it's always great to see Alec Guinness who seems to be enjoying himself and deliberately slightly overacting as Jacob Marley. Always enjoy this when I watch it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 137. Thor: Love and Thunder
    Rewatch because gf hadn't seen it. Such an interesting movie really. The start and the end of it are really quite fantasic with some very cool shot choices and visual ideas and well put together sequences but the entire middle is an absolute mess with some fun or funny stuff sprinkled in there but none of it with the confidence shown at either end. Why hire Christian Bale to be one of the most interesting and cool Marvel bad guys for a long while but then never really use him and instead have a bunch of improv stuff or average jokes that go on too long. A shame really.
    [5]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    It felt like it tipped the scales too far into parody. That opening sequence for example just made it look like Thor was a dumb meathead, which has been partly true but dial it up to 11 and you quickly lose perspective. Agree on the waste of a villain too.
  • Disney have submitted the movie for Best Film oscar, or was that a joke I saw on the interwebs?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I wouldn't be surprised if they've submitted it for Oscars (presumably technical ones) but not even Disney would have the gall to campaign for that as best film surely?
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    It's not even the best Thor film directed by Taika Waititi!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Couple of flying home films on the plane. So had to try…

Planes Trains and Automobiles

Finally got around to watching this 80’s classic. Erm. Think I laughed twice through the whole film. Candy played an enjoyable character with a great emotional heart but Martin was irritating all the way through and the swearing scene, while I’m sure was shocking at the time, just felt out of place with the film and, like a lot of the movie, not that funny. [5 for Candy]

The Batman

Great setup that lost its way with a meandering middle but overall solid performances and an interesting bad guy manage to keep this an interesting take on The Bat. Some of the set pieces were great even if none of them really eclipse the best that Nolan achieved. Better than all of the other recent DC stuff by a long shot [8]
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Disney have submitted the movie for Best Film oscar, or was that a joke I saw on the interwebs?

Being submitted doesn't mean you'll be nominated. Pretty sure that movie with John Travolta by the Limp Bizkit guy was submitted for best picture last year. Probably costs some money to submit but Disney wouldn't care about that.
  • Of course, but what is the reason for submitting?  Surely they don't actually think it's worthy of the award?!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Deliver us from Evil doesn't pull its punches. Demonic possession yarn with Eric Bana in the lead. It's got Sean Harris who is one of "those guys" who plays satisfying bad guys. Lots of poking about in creepy dark rooms and it is to be credited that it doesn't trade in jump scares.  The editing very choppy in some fight sequences but that might be because of the streamed version - not sure. A nice little story with some nice ideas among the usual and I enjoyed it. The final exorcism scene is quite something.  

The main character is based on a real life Bronx cop who left the police to work on demonic possession cases (!) 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Sarchie
  • By the guy who did Sinister and Dr Strange. Been meaning to watch it because he can do creepy well when he wants to.
  • Huh, didn't realise Sinister and Dr. Strange were from the same director.  Enjoyed both of those.
  • Wait Strange.  Thought you meant Sleep.  Even though I typed Strange.  Haven't seen Dr. Strange.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cos wrote:
    It's not even the best Thor film directed by Taika Waititi!

Still far from the worst Thor movie from Disney.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Is there some shit 70s/80s Disney Thor film I'm not aware of?
  • Thor 2 was super shit. Super super shit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Thor 1 was pretty ropey too. I’ll take L&T over either of those.
  • I had that as bottom of the pile before I did my rewatch of Phase 1-3.
    Its actually ok, not really worth watching again but not god awful.

Love and Thunder is worse for me. Thor 2 had a plot that worked but ultimately its just forgettable. L&T is a total mess and wastes a great villain and actor, hopefully they just Multiverse Bale back in at some point.
    The cancer reveal is one of the most poorly timed, poorly delivered things on screen.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Ah. I'm in the Dark World was ok camp. Maybe better than L&T? Might need a rewatch to be sure of that.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Good to see I'm not alone on that.
  • I've seen the first one, Ragnarok and maybe half an hour of L&T.  1 was a shit California Man, Ragnarok was great and I got fed up with L&T.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've seen the first one, Ragnarok and maybe half an hour of L&T.  1 was a shit California Man, Ragnarok was great and I got fed up with L&T.

Would never have predicted that comparison in a million years. Brilliant.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    City Lights This is considered Chaplin's best work and that's where I place it too. I'd say if you are going to watch one silent film or a Chaplin film then make it this.

It is exquisitely put together. The simple story is advanced by a series of short scenes consisting of pretty much nothing but physical comedy. Chaplin's control over his body is astounding and it's really easy to take his skill and timing for granted.  Many admire Chaplin but don't find him funny. I can agree with that to some extent but this is still a funny film. Some silent artists used to stretch a comic idea out too long over a scene but Chaplin doesn't do that in this. The longest scene is likely the boxing match and it's a superb piece of choreographed slapstick that doesn't overstay its welcome.

The soundtrack, composed by Chaplin, adds to the atmosphere and the comedy as well. It is simply superb - there are so many subtle little touches to it synchronised with the action. This was made during the sound era but Chaplin kept it silent with the soundtrack containing sound effects instead and they are used sparingly but extremely well.

That ending. It is still as effective as ever.

This is quite simply a masterpiece of film making with story, physical comedy and sound in perfect harmony.  This is in my top 10 films ever - at least. 

Criterion have AT LAST released this in region 1 B for Bluray. :)
  • If Criterion really cared about film they'd release all their stuff as region free. Boooo to Criterion I say, boooo!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I agree. They seem to be getting their finger out for region 1 now. I have a region free BluRay player for US releases (Fanny & Alexander, Godzilla for example)
  • You mean region B I’m sure. :)

Region 1 is US DVD. We are region 2. Bluray use letters. I think.
  • And yes. City Lights is amazing. Deffo his best.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    oops.  Yep - you're right.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!