Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • Hate to say it but Elf is correct. If they are releasing region B now then that means I can watch them too. All is forgiven! Praise be to Criterion.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hate to say it but Elf is correct.

So disappointed in you shabby. Surely you know we never admit this out loud, even on the rare occasions it's true??
  • I'm sick at the moment. My mind is obviously not working right
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hate to say it but Elf is correct. If they are releasing region B now then that means I can watch them too. All is forgiven! Praise be to Criterion.

Aye. HMV have a goodly pile of Criterion on the shelves now - pretty much at Amazon prices too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Still getting such warm vibes after watching City Lights last night. What a piece of work that was.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • A couple of movies last nigth.

The Santa Clause
    Tim Allen 90s thing. I remember this being heavily advertised back in the day but despite being the right age demographic I never saw it until last night.
    Its all a bit odd. Allen plays a workaholic divorcee dad that doesnt give enough time to his son and is losing access to him until a turn of fate transforms him into Santa (yes its Liar Liar but Santa instead of truth). The really odd part is the step dad played by Judge Reinhold who is apparently obsessed with his 9 yr old step son being too old to believe in Santa, but its not played as a evil step parent way, its played the same as Cary Elwes nice guy in Liar Liar. Very odd.
    Allen is also shit, his star power back then is really hard to explain.

Death Proof
    Havent seen this in a long time, might even be the first time I have seen the extended non-double bill cut. All the car stuff is fantastic fun, as is the OTT Savini-esque killings. The dialogue sections are really shit though. I generally quite like a Tarantino monologue but these are really drawn out and add very little.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Allen is also shit, his star power back then is really hard to explain.

He's a tool, man.
  • Still maintain that the only good version of Death Proof is the double bill version. Short and snappy and fun. Works well. Extended dialogue scenes for no reason not so much.
  • 138. GDT Pinnocchio
    Firstly, the animation is great and, secondly, so is Ewan McGregor. Unfortunately the rest is very GDT in that it's very white, it's overly long, the storytelling loses its way until it just plain gives up trying to have it make sense, there's a political sub(and not so sub)text that works sometimes but then also doesn't work at others and it's all just a bit meh. A shame really. A shame that I keep thinking I'll like any GDT film after Pan's Labyrinth. Why isn't the theme that the film ends on the driving force for the film as a whole? I like that idea and it's the strongest one it has but it is secondary until all of a sudden it's apparently not.
    [4]
  • 139. V/H/S 99
    And lo, as VHS3 didst follow the great VHS2, so does VHS99 follow the very good VHS94. I'm guessing all directors for this though 1999 was full of fuckwits because every character in this series is annoying and a douchebag. The shorts are mostly very bad except for the last one by the Deadstream team who do a good job with a cool concept. I actually skipped through one it was so bad and it was the longest one!
    [3]

140. Mad God
    Can you really rate someones fever dream hellscape brought to life through animation? I guess so. It's as amazing as it is gross and weird and creepy and I hope that Phil Tippet is doing okay. I'm guessing people asked him if he was okay after he released this.
    [9]

141. Spy
    Quite the palate cleanser after the last one. One of Feig's few good films. Largely because it has actual jokes in it. You can tell the scenes where he just kept the camera rolling and told them to 'say something funny' because it cuts between characters after every line. It's tiring. Luckily there aren't many of those and the rest is obviously workshopped jokes and some actual written stuff. I laughed a fair amount. Statham is very fun in this.
    [7]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I thought describing Spy as one of Feig's few good films seemed a bit harsh but checked his catalogue and yeah, he's 50-50 at best. I liked Bridesmaids, The Heat, Spy and A Simple Favour but if any of those didn't work for you then his average definitely takes a hit.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Stranger (2022)

Joel Edgerton plays an undercover cop gaining the trust of a person believed to have abducted and murdered a child 10 years ago.

Based on a true case. Australian. Sean Harris, who I think is one of the greatest actors of his generation, plays the suspect and is as ever fucking incredible.

Dark,nasty, slowburn of a thriller. Fantastic film.

[9]
  • 142. The Stranger
    DS reminded me to watch this. Very good crime thriller with great central performances. Worth a watch.
    [8]

143. Tyrannosaur
    Cinty reminded me to watch this. Always interested by one and done films by directors. Paddy must have had this kicking around in his brain. Harsh stuff. Does feel like a first film film at times, threatens to derail itself, but always held together by the main performances, especially Olivia in one of her first serious roles who knocks it out of the park.
    [8]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There are about 8 "The Stranger"s - which want y'all meaning?
  • I’d guess it’s the 2022 one with Joel Edgerton given that’s exactly what DS said it is.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh I only read the immediately preceding post ever. Sigh.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Think it's on Netflix
  • Tis a Netflix film. Apparently. I reckon it's more that Netflix bought it when it was up for distribution mroe than them making it.

Nice to know Muzzy has DS on ignore though. The little secrets we uncover.

You should watch Nitram as well DS.
  • Spirited
    Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds doing postmodern Christmas Carol as a musical. It’s glossy and big budget enough that it couldn’t really be bad, but it’s completely forgettable. It lacks nuance too - every musical number is treated like a big finale. No variety in tone.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    59. Looper - it had been a while since watching this. It was a film that I loved, then watched a few too many times then stopped loving it. Watching now after all this time it’s still a great film and the missus loved it too. [9]

60. The Holiday - cheesy rom com in the Curtis vein, with rich people falling out and in to love. It’s naff but I still like it. [8]

61. Saving Private Ryan - missus had never seen it and she was in bits by the end. That opening scene is still a shocker. It’s a classic and always make me want to watch Band of Brothers [10]

62. Nativity - Freeman on top form as a school teacher who tells a lie at Christmas. Another Scrooge-type character who hates Christmas but could learn to love it again, filmed nearby in Cov [8]

63. Last Christmas - an ode to George Michael songs with down-on-her-luck Emilia Clarke seeming to drift through life causing one disaster after another. The film was not what I was expecting at all when I first watched it last year and has become a bit of a Christmas favourite. Solid supporting cast too. [8]

64. Frozen - is it a Christmas film? No. Is it great? Yes. From the songs to the story to Olaf, it's all good baby. [9]

65. Muppets Christmas Carol - while I'm only just about to start watching this, I know it's just the best version of Scrooge (sorry Scrooged) so is getting a [10]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Spirited Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds doing postmodern Christmas Carol as a musical. It’s glossy and big budget enough that it couldn’t really be bad, but it’s completely forgettable. It lacks nuance too - every musical number is treated like a big finale. No variety in tone.

I really couldn't get on with it. It clearly wants to be a stage production and being filmed as such didn't work for me. It was also dragging and gave up after an hour with another hour to go.
  • Aye, right from the first number I was thinking ‘bet they turn this into an actual broadway show next year, then tour it forever. Cash cow in the making.’
  • 144. Creep 2
    The first one was good fun and so was this. I always like seeing found footage films that have a new idea or something interesting to do with it. Can recommend both of these.
    [8]

145. The Rover
    I feel like this was wanting to be a The Road or even a Mad Max of sorts but I couldn't really get on with it. It has some cool stunts and effects but it was the world that didn't land for me. Didn't seem to make sense that it was a violent world but people were pretty chill instead of on edge all the time. Some good acting by the mains although maybe a little too good by Pattinson who might be slightly over playing it.
    [5]
  • I only saw The Rover once but remember really liking it.
  • Barbarian.

Knew nothing about this other than a couple of mentions in here. I couldn't suspend disbelief with too many nonsensical character choices so it ended up annoying me. Didn't hate it I guess, but it's not very good.
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Starts well but by the end it's devolved into complete trash.
  • I also watched that last night, was alright but felt a little half baked once the overall thing was revealed.
  • 146. Troll Hunter
    I feel like I needed to have watched it at the time. I think the effects hold up mostly but the rest is a little boring and the characterisation is a bit weak. Pretty scenery though.
    [4]

I'll watch that other Troll movie soon, it's by the guy who made The Wave and that was very good if you like distaster movies
  • Those Troll movies are great.
    Anna Kendrick and Justin Timberlake have some cracking songs on the soundtrack too
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!