Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Nice. I reckon arcade mode would be a nightmare with shared lives if you're tackling it weekly. Rising mode lets you build up points to spend on extra lives/weapons iirc, so if you fail a level multiple times at least you can eventually start it with 4 lives instead of 3.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    ESWAT is shocking these days too. Got to the third boss and I'm done, awful controls.

Which version? Have to say, I have memories of this being another cheap Robocop-a-like.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Was the MD version. It's definitely got a spot of Robocop going on. Was probably okay at the time but it's kinda horrendous now. I borrowed the MS port as a kid, which I remember finishing and quite liking, but God knows what that one's like these days.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Was the MD version. It's definitely got a spot of Robocop going on. Was probably okay at the time but it's kinda horrendous now. I borrowed the MS port as a kid, which I remember finishing and quite liking, but God knows what that one's like these days.

Interesting - the consoles didn't seem to bother adapting the coin op ESWAT, instead going for a much more futuristic platform shooter. The arcade edition is a lot more Robocop and annoyed me by not allowing the player to fire more than 1 bullet at a time!

• Booted up the cabinet tonight. Gonna post a few interesting ones that I think are worth a look.

Mame : Biomechanical Toy (so wacky)
    Amiga : Rubicon (nice art style, even if it can't match Turrican in level design)
    Mame : Geo Storm / Gun force II(wants to be metal slug so bad it hurts)
    Mame : JJ Squawkers (cute animals killing each other)
    Mame : Narc (killing dirty old men in macs)
    Mame : Rolling Thunder (just for that 80s arcade nostalgia hit because this was in every arcade)
    Mame : Sunset riders (strangely camp cowboy shooter)
    Mame : Cowboys of Moo Mesa (literal cows)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rolling Thunder is quality. Loved the art style.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Operation C (GB) 

Contra for the Game Boy. I'm amazed it works as well as it does. The controls are spot on and the game even introduces a few firsts for the series such as rapid fire by default and the homing weapon.

For a handheld game in 1991 it would have been up there with the best of them, but it's limitations hold it back from being anything more a a curio for fans of the series or the GB.

First off it plays a lot slower than the console games, no doubt due to the quality of the original GB screen. It's also very easy, only the fifth and final level poses any real challenge and the lack of co-op is a real shame.

I really enjoyed my playthrough and would wholeheartedly recommend playing it if your a Contra fan, but in the grand scheme of things there's better games to be playing.

Still better than those PS1 efforts though!

2/5

My reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyone spent any time with Shin Contra (aka Shattered Soldier) on PS2? Been on my shelf of shame for ages.
  • Best Contra game for me, bloody amazing.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The time when someone made Metal Slug 3 look easy....well - not easy. The endurance required for that last level..

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    The time when someone made Metal Slug 3 look easy....well - not easy. The endurance required for that last level..

I don't think I can bring myself to watch that, it'll just make me sad about how shit I am at one of my favourite games.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    I don't think I can bring myself to watch that, it'll just make me sad about how shit I am at one of my favourite games.

I started to wonder if he had collision detection switched off!  It's an edited video - not a single run - he shows all the different routes though the levels and shows all the scoring secrets which makes it a delight.

It's actually made me want to boot it up and have a go at it. It's likely the pinnacle of the genre for level design alone. And I think whatever screen res this is running in is optimal. Making this type of game look non-pixelly with using higher res somehow ruins them.

It's also worth watching as he shows how to beat the bosses without incurring RSI.

He also states he is playing in MAME - with the keyboard!!
  • Midnight Resistance on the Amiga was quality
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just took a crack at Metal Slug 3 there - Jeez it's tough. Didn't get past level 1 on first credit.
  • I've been trying a bit of MS3 on switch after reading this thread. it's clearly a great game but the input lag on switch makes it unplayable if you try to play 'properly'. You'll try to chuck a couple of quick grenades to clear a screen side, nothing happens, you turn to take out the other side, the grenades finally come and miss, you die
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Lag is a problem with the Anthology on PS2. But MG3 came out on PS2 as a single disc release as well and that's what I was playing - feels fine.

Many of the Switch/PS retro games are emulated console ports and that will add lag even if the original game has none.
  • ugh no quick restart, only one quick save, what a load of shite that conversion is
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Could be just the bog standard NeoGeo emulation from MAME recompiled for Switch.

As much loved as MS is it's been very shoddily treated over the years on consoles. The Saturn and PS1 got decent ports of the first game. MS3 on PS2 feels great too and has a level select and some bonus modes, but most other ports are substandard.

Just checked the Switch port - looks like just the original NeoGeo arcade ROM emulated. Some filtering going onto to smooth things out but that may be optional.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Just took a crack at Metal Slug 3 there - Jeez it's tough. Didn't get past level 1 on first credit.

Played some more MS3 - cleared level 1 with no life loss (just make sure to take the easy route and get on the boat).

Level 2 though - that zombie malarky. The secret is definitely knowing when to run and leave them behind.
  • Also be a zombie for first phase of boss. Two ‘bombs’ or, er, blood vomit, wipe out the aliens
  • Remember the elephant cave
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Also be a zombie for first phase of boss. Two ‘bombs’ or, er, blood vomit, wipe out the aliens
    Funkstain wrote:
    Remember the elephant cave

This is why MS3 rules.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Was planning on picking the Switch version up at some point but I might not bother after funk's lag report. Can't have that in a game like this.
  • I did cut my thumb badly with a mandolin (kitchen variety) which could be impacting things. Will provide update once healed or thumb falls off
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saw an expert run through dispatching the level 2 boss (both phases) with the zombie vomit. Impressive. But of course experts have a habit of making something look easy. :)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    He also states he is playing in MAME - with the keyboard!!

Mental.
  • Metal Slug 3 is £3 on PS4/5. Hopefully it's a better port than the Switch one. Nabbed.
  • Flashback (Switch)

Another iconic release ticked off the gaming bucket list.

I completed Another World a couple of years ago and as expected this is slightly superior in everyway.

The game has two main flaws, firstly every subsequent level gets a tad less intersting, the first three are generally good with the final two becoming a bit of a slog.

Secondly is the general clunkiness of the combat. You do adjust to it and it is playable once you do, but even after hours of play you'll find yourself wanting to break a pad because of Conrad not quite doing what you want.

As far as this modern re-release goes it ticks all the boxes. A few gameplay QoL features along with the option to toggle extra graphical effects etc, make it the definitive release.

Overall a product of its time that only gamers who played it back in the day likely to get any enjoyment from.

3/5

My reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I got as far as the "game show" level and just gave up with it. Had no desire to carry on but I enjoyed the first few levels. SNES version I had back then.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!