Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Dammit, not done either of those. My list grows longer.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I remember the MD version of Flashback had a weird glitch where you could run through solid walls. Which because of the first rule of internet means there's probably a non-tool assisted sequence break speedrun out there.

Loved level two at the time.
  • Got through the first level of Metal Gear Slug 3 last night, after turning the player count up to what I thought would be a generous 15. Promptly reset the software and racked the extra lives up to 99. Will return today.
  • The issue with that, for my experience, is it means you never have to git gud. With 99 lives you just get through the game (er, maybe) and in my experience have little reason to go back. But with practice (not that much and including laggy controls), I can now get through level 1 without losing a life, rescuing loads of POWs etc. Level 2 is a bitch though
  • Completely.  In purist terms it's a silly way to play something like this but for some reason the older I get the more I treat games with a mindset somewhere between Augustus Gloop and Leroy Jenkins.  It's rare for me to gitgud at anything retro these days as I'd rather just play through it, form an opinion on what I played (in the manner I played it) and move on.  I can get a general feel for most 2D games based on years of experience, but brute forcing something with save states/silly extra life reserves means any feedback has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
  • I played through MS3 not long ago.
    I have no idea how people get through these things properly but Im happy to spam my way through. As a kid I was always more into seeing what was next, particularly the art. Never overly fussed by challenge or high scores.

I watched GameGrumps play through Super Ghouls and Ghosts the other day (pretty sure that counts as a Run n Gun), I say play through they actually save scummed. To be fair though watching someone play that game properly for the first time wouldn't make for a fun Lets Play. 
    Somehow despite being very much in the biz they had no idea about the 'fuck you do it again' ending. Very amusing when they found out. I'm sure a few SNES pads got broken on that one.
  • I played the whole Metal Slug series on infinite lives. It’s not ‘completing’ the game. It’s one step above watching a YouTube playthrough. But that’s completely sufficient for my purposes.
    The only other option available for me is to not play it at all. Same principle applies to heavily save-stating a game.
  • In the old days, doing something like that would ruin the game you’ve spent £40 on. It quickly gets boring. Now, just do it, see what it’s about, load up another rom.
  • Yeah back when you only got 3 games a year it wasn't so bad doing things over and over.
    Plus being a kid you had way more free time, no internet or TV streaming either.

On a wet half term it was play the same game over and over or watch Richard and Judy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Clearing level 1 with one life isn't that difficult with some practice if you take the easiest route. Despite appearances the game is well designed for 1CCing in how it hands out the right powerups at the right time though you are fucked if you lose a life and powerups at certain points. In level 1 ignore the submarine section and move onto the boat section.

I will credit feed at times. Have done it with Metal Slug 3 but you usually miss out on some nice level design that way. I really struggle with level 2 in MS3. 

It's a fine game for score attack too what with the pickups and the hostages. MS3 on PS2 (solo version) also has a gallery that shows the different pickups and hostages you have saved for completionists.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Lvl2 I think requires a bit of choice between being zombie or not. The zombie 'grenade' is so powerful and of course invulnerable to 'normal' shots and grenades - the bit with the helicopters, for eg, is much easier as Z, the cave is impossible as Z, the end boss is simple (with good timing) as Z

ANYWAY totally get the point - and yes this is how I've played through a number of games like this. Just with some, you get a bit 'ooh this is actually pretty good' and it motivates me to put a bit more work into it, not sure what the threshold is. Multiple routes help, tight controls and 'die and lose everything' also. Maybe it's just nostalgia for the days when I'd play one game until I'd ground it into dust, because as Liv / Munks say, it's all you had to do

Revenge of Shinobi (though I'm sure mine was Super Shinobi, was that the Japanese version?), Strider, SoR1 and 2, Hellfire and many more all 1CC
  • Hellfire 1CC is a hell of an achievement. We played that in here a few years back and I swear I struggled with save states.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Lvl2 I think requires a bit of choice between being zombie or not. The zombie 'grenade' is so powerful and of course invulnerable to 'normal' shots and grenades - the bit with the helicopters, for eg, is much easier.......

The zombie form is the way to deal with the boss section at least. Watched an expert play of it and it takes out the boss really quickly.

It you take out the lead red helicopter at the right time it takes out the rest in a combo chain and you get a pile of points. You can be in normal form with a powerup to achieve that.  (I talk a good game - have managed it once or twice but not without losing a life). :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Shinobi is a different game to Revenge - discovered Super when I bought an MD Everdrive. Excellent game.

Most 16bit games can be 1CCed but it takes devotion. In these days of ROM piles that isn't going to happen too often. :)

When I realised that modern shmups could be 1CCed, that turned me back onto that genre. I hadn't really played many modern shmups until I got educated on that point and it's why it's my main gaming diet now.

I love the fact that these games look impossible to the uninitiated. I remember first playing Gigawing on the Dreamcast and dismissing it as a coin muncher. Have since 1CCed it.  If anything modern bullet hell shmups can be 1CCed more often than the older ones which really are coin munchers.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Hellfire 1CC is a hell of an achievement. We played that in here a few years back and I swear I struggled with save states.

First game that ever made me break a pad! And that was in bad days when a new import MD pad was a small fortune for a kid :(

Bit like ikaruga, you get into this zone with the switching of directional fire. Great idea that but took a lot of practice and of course learning the levels / enemies and patterns

Shinobi I had to use the infinite shuriken cheat.

Misspent youth really
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hellfire's a fine game. It has that quality of looking easier than it actually is.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Shinobi I had to use the infinite shuriken cheat.

You disgust me.
  • I also magic spammed the bosses, especially dino. Only one I didn’t cheese was the hairy bastard at the end
  • Absolutely filth.
  • Metal Slug 3 done (with infinite lives). The last level takes the absolute piss. Wonderful stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The last level takes the absolute piss. Wonderful stuff.

Moot likes it rough, confirmed.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Metal Slug 3 - PS5 (90 mins)

Credit fed blitz through the main game.  I'm not sure how the series has passed me by for this long - I've been meaning to get around to it since the mid-90s, but the sequels kept stacking up and I wasn't sure where to start.  It's unlikely I'll play them all, so I consulted a random franchise top 10 on Youtube.  This was no.1, and the guy chatting over the footage didn't seem to think it was a close run thing.

Obviously it's soul crushingly difficult.  It has the decency to ease you in at least, but by stage 3 I could feel it in my plums - I wouldn't have the patience or skill to beat this game properly.  I tested myself with the level 4 boss, which I decided to see if I could beat without dying by setting a save state.  In the end I couldn't quite do it, but I managed it in two lives and it's clear that practice makes perfect, which is what you want with this sort of thing.  At certain points enemies were just munching through what was left of my 100 lives as I pushed through the rest of the game though.  Thankfully continuing gave me another 100, and I managed to do it in under 200 all told.  Touch me.  It wouldn't have made for much of a stream, but I had a blast.  The final level just keeps going, but the insane difficulty of certain segments is irrelevant with infinite credits so I was just shooting things, stabbing things, occasionally turning the volume up a wee bit more and chuckling to myself.

Visually it's easily one of the best looking 2D games I've ever seen.  There are some gorgeous indies around these days, but this would still place near the top of an all-time top ten pixel art graphics list. The animation, phwoar; beautiful stuff, with some top tunes to match.  The gameplay is great, but (and this may be due to the way I played it, of course) perhaps not the peerless run & gun perfection I was anticipating.  It's very, very good, but based on what I played not quite SS-tier.  Maybe co-op pushes it into the God tier.  Marvellous stuff though, I've popped some of the others on my watch list, will treat myself as and when. 92%

tumblr_inline_o3hpdqn2mr1ri065t_500.gif
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Come on, it's worth a 93% just for that gif alone.

Top write up.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Talking of Metal Slug, I've (heavily) hinted at my family for the Irem cart for the Evercade. It has In the Hunt on it, which is what the Metal Slug team made before they left to develop for SNK. Another copy of R-Type is just a delicious bonus.
  • Ha I spent way too long choosing a gif.  There are loads and they're all great.
  • Nice.  In the Hunt is definitely something I'd like to play.  Fell foul of the the BUT IT'S NOT 3D narrative in UK games mags at the time iirc, there were some pretty low scores around for the Saturn port anyway (which I assume was decent, but perhaps not).
  • I have it on Saturn, but my console died before I’d given it much time.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In the hunt is quality and yes...is Metal Slug in a submarine. Have the PS1 port but it's very MAMEable.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Shit. There’re Saturn/PlayStation ports? Do I need them for my Metal Slug collection I wonder…

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!