52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • 152. Bastion - Switch (4hrs)

Revisiting this as I'm building up to either Pyre or Transistor.  Couldn't stand what I played of the latter and I've never even tried the former (despite buying at launch, which still rankles), but I have it on good badger authority they're both crackers.  I recently installed Pyre on my PS5, so I Am Ready.  Obviously Hades is goat, despite what Muzzy says, so I'm willing to force the Super Giant love if needs be.  Bastion was great in 2011, and definitely one of the big boys from the glorious 360 era indies-on-consoles boom, but how does it hold up?

Superbly, as it happens.  The cream of that era might represent the point where indies started to become timeless - this could easily pass as a modern game, even though smaller digital titles have come a long way in the past decade.  Fez, Super Meat Boy, Trials Evolution, Geometry Wars 2, The Stanley Parable, Peggle - all pretty much as perfect now as they were back then.  Has Braid stood the test of time?  Possibly.  There are multiple dozen Apple Jacks and Shadow Complexes these days, so maybe 'good' games have dropped down a rung or two, but the true S/AA tier of XBLA have still got it, and Bastion would make an Xbox 360 XBLA top 10 in 2022, imo.  I wondered if the v/o might have lost some of its appeal but it's still pretty much perfect (Tilly has been doing her own version of it for most of the week), the music is aces and the artwork is just as lush as it was when this had to be paid for with points.  Some of the weapons are a bit unappealing, but that's probably just down to my personal playstyle.  Most importantly, they're all fun for the brief moments where you're forced to use a new addition.

It doesn't outstay its welcome and has a reliable screen clearing core with a good parry system.  Combat isn't Hades, but it's mighty fine nonetheless.  Was really impressed with this all over again, and iirc it only cost £2ish for the privilege of revisiting on Switch.  A big clout indie classic.  Loses a point for the way it seems to cycle through auto-targeting anticlockwise rather than focusing on the closest threat, but still a damn fine game. [8]

1*YUTcUj7uin2k6FVDfLIRSg.gif
  • 47: Nier Automata End Of Yorha Edition (Switch) 10/10

I was going to give this 9/10 because it's the same game as before but slightly worse, given it's running on Switch, and the clunky map and menus could do with a do over.  But that's the 3rd time I've played it and the 3rd time I've been completely engrossed, so stuff it it have have a 10/10 for what must be my favourite game from last generation.

A lot of noise has been made about how it's a shockingly good port and it really is.  Running at a pretty solid 30fps wasn't ideal but wasn't a problem after a minute either.  Looks fantastic and is probably the best looking kinda realisticish Switch game I've played.  Some of the textures look dodgy and sometimes they don't load in quick enough but mostly it's all good stuff and playing in bed with headphones on is a treat.  The story and music are still the best.  With all that said next time I play it will almost certainly not be on Switch.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Best Game!

Glory to Mankind!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It really is!  Glory to Mankind!

Decided to give the PlayStation version a quick look for comparison’s sake, have to admit the high frame rate really does make a big difference to how it plays.  It feels so much faster and more responsive, even just getting around, especially in the 2D bits.  Way more than I credited it.

Still though!  Hugely impressed with the Switch version.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FAIRGROUND THEME BEST MUSIC IN ALL OF GAMING
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I need to take my Emile coasters out of their box and actually use them.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    FAIRGROUND THEME BEST MUSIC IN ALL OF GAMING

City Ruins for me!
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I have this on PC and I really should give it a go at some point
  • 153. Axiom Verge - Switch (10hrs 11mins)

Brilliant love letter to Metroid than manages to consistently surpass its inspiration but can't quite maintain magnificence throughout.  This is so very nearly the best Metroid of the 'vania games I've played as it does so much right for so long, it's just a shame that progression eventually slows to map scouring and the final, disappointing stretch culminates in a one-two punch of bosses that are equally shit and disappointing.  For that reason I'm still having Metroid Dread as the best in this particular subsection of its particular class, but this pushes it damn close for a long time. 

I don't want to focus on the negatives because for the most part this is an exquisite game, so here's a quick round up of what it does oh so well: stylish visuals with multiple neat touches (such as the ice gun melting on contact with surfaces), God tier secrets to sniff out at every turn, great controls for the most part and brilliant trickle of upgrades to assist with the exploration.  More than perhaps anything else I'd highlight the exceptional soundtrack.  I bounced off Nier Automata, which has had plenty of praise for its score on these boards, but I'd be surprised if the highs are as glorious as the best tunes here (average music was an ever-present disappointment in M Dread).  I'd wager the whole audiovisual package is a pixel perfect execution of the original vision and therefore this stands as one of the most stylish games of the past decade.  We're talking Hyper Light Drifter levels of panache.

I guess I've set this paragraph up for the negatives then, so just quickly: things get messy when a particular ability is unlocked, which requires a double tap of a direction and can't be assigned to a button (at least on Switch).  I tried with Joycons and a Pro pad, and neither was reliable enough for the move to not spam itself willy nilly whenever I was moving in mid-air in the final third of the game.  I just had to live with it in the end, but it was fucking annoying.  As mentioned, the last two bosses are poor.  The penultimate guardian is a shocker and I ended up brute forcing it, and the final boss is an unenjoyable damp squib at best.  The rest of the bosses are okay, but they're pre-Dread 2D Metroid standard tbh (i.e not fine but not great).  Some enemies are annoying and the majority of the many secret weapons were rarely useful imo.  Perhaps this changes on the harder difficulty setting but for the most part the first three weapons did the trick for me.  This probably makes me a heathen for the purists, but the lack of any sort of 'head towards this bit to progress the main quest' map assist came back to bite it after a few hours.  It was fun finding the secrets of course, but I found the vast majority of mine when I was actually looking for the next main area, and (after a fair few hours of fun) I had to dig my glasses out as it eventually descends into looking for connectors on the tiny map screen for places you've missed.  Haters can hate but I like the glowing waypoints in Dread and Ori.

Overall it's an incredible game that kept up my run of playing something a bit special during my caravan hols, and despite the minor imperfections it's definitely one of the best gaming experiences I've had this year.  A high [8] and a big one crossed off the pile of shame.

1*PkyyFWrBCCbtpDkPDgjIGw.gif

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    149. Paradise Marsh - Switch (2hrs) Existential philosophy disguised as a collect 'em up.  Catch critters in a low detail, procedurally generated game world with a handful of distinct habitats, restore the night sky and join the dots to enlightenment.  I read next to nothing before playing and assumed it was a cross between Alba and a walking sim, which I guess it is at a stretch, but it's far more oblique than I expected.  Tilly lost interest in the first fifteen minutes.  I suspect mainly because it gives the player zero direction (as you saunter around I'm pretty sure it jumbles the layout of the marsh anyway), but the actual mechanics didn't help - it's all a bit imprecise, even just trying to centre the camera on a clickable object can be problematic, and the net wafting feels a bit like trying to catch a budgie with a T shirt (but without the guilt after repeated failure). It's a decent enough curio on the whole, just not my cup of tea really.  Plus the Switch port is horrible.  I'm fine with the visual style, but surely such a simplistic looking flat shaded approach should result in a game that doesn't run like shit?  It may have been patched by now, but we've got no WiFi for the week (in the family caravan, which I've probably already mentioned umpteen times as the daddy/daughter half term tradition is easily my favourite week of the year, no offence to Mrs. Moot who stays behind to work).  I've got no reference points but I'd suggest avoiding this version for now - I'd wager the Bone/PC versions run smoothly.   This next bit should probably go in spoiler tags as I'm not sure if it's a technical problem or a deliberately coded beard stroke:
    Spoiler:
    Considering the treacly controls and the fact that it chugs into flickbook mode whenever it rains or snows I'm settling on a [6] for this.  Not a bad experience, with some decent writing propping it up, but a swing and a miss on Switch overall. 7c3754_01b32a2025ac434780ee3546581d3298~mv2.gif

So this has been patched fwiw, and runs reasonably well now.  Which is just the sort of bullshit we're expected to put up with these days.  I'd put my rant hat on if I could be bothered, but what's the point in buying anything at launch?  Mini rant: You're paying a premium for a version of a game that, with very few exceptions it seems, will be improved after a month or two.  Or in this case, less than a week (which also happened to be a week where I had no WiFi).  Don't release a game if it's fucked, surely that's a reasonable rule of thumb?  I get that minor bugs and glitches will be ironed out over time, but to go from shocking performance to 'runs quite well' in 6 days is some bullshit imo.  Just delay it a week so the day 1 players aren't shafted.  This version was in development for two years apparently.  /removes hat.
  • 34. Operation C (GB) - 1hr 10mins

Contra for the Game Boy. I'm amazed it works as well as it does. The controls are spot on and the game even introduces a few firsts for the series such as rapid fire by default and the homing weapon.

For a handheld game in 1991 it would have been up there with the best of them, but it's limitations hold it back from being anything more a a curio for fans of the series or the GB.

First off it plays a lot slower than the console games, no doubt due to the quality of the original GB screen. It's also very easy, only the fifth and final level poses any real challenge and the lack of co-op is a real shame.

I really enjoyed my playthrough and would wholeheartedly recommend playing it if your a Contra fan, but in the grand scheme of things there's better games to be playing.

Still better than those PS1 efforts though!

5/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 43. Scorn [7]
    Too obtuse for its own good maybe, but it works to create a surreal and truly alien world.

44. A Plague Tale: Requiem [8]
    Takes the best stuff from the first game - characters, locations, rats - and expands everything else around them to great effect.

45. Signalis [6]
    An atmospheric psychological horror game that I should have loved, but found it too bogged down in item management and dull combat.
  • 27.Super Mario World - 8 Hours - 8/10 - Switch

Played this on Holiday and don’t think I’ve played it since finishing it on the SNES in 92. Can’t really say much about it aside from it’s still an incredible platformer that now feels a little short with a million simple type levels and a few excruciatingly irritating ones.

Absolute classic, 8/10.

28.Super Mario World 3D - 10 Hours - 7/10 - Switch

This was kinda fun but, this and pretty much Mario for the last 20 years has been something I just run through, and though I collect as many of whatever bizarre level unlocking currency there is, I never really want to go back and dig for more.

It’s always quite interesting and clever but it’s always the same really, which isn’t a bad thing at all, I just always think it’s gonna blow me away and it ends up just being a good solid Mario.

Another good Mario…7/10

29.Star Fox - 2 Hours - 5/10 - Switch

I mean…this was good…but so bad. Has not aged well. Just feels awful, looks awful, the sound is decent, but after a few goes it’s still fun somehow. Ran through the campaigns and then tried the second before deciding somehow it was even worse and gave up.

They could make it…but…should they have done?! Memories smashed 5/10

30.CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - 15 Hours - 9/10 - Xbox Series X

Same as every CoD, could copy and paste this review every year. Looks great, sounds awesome, batshit mental, smooth as fuck and the gaming version of a Steak, it won’t last long, it might be a bit fatty, bloody or chewy in bits, BUT you’re gonna love every fucking bite.

Felt a little slower than some of the other CoD’s but it just always works. Absolutely had a blast, 9/10.
  • CoD gets a higher score than Mario World. What has this forum come to.
  • It’s a strange one I admit…but I got a lot more enjoyment from the rollercoaster that is CoD.
  • I’ve been meaning to replay SMW on my SNES. Haven’t played in… a long time.
  • It’s still a great game but even with all the secrets it’s over in no time, remembered it being such a challenge but I was like 7 years old.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    SMW 8/10? Ban request pls.
  • If it wasn’t for nostalgia I’d have given it even less…
  • I’m with Vere. 2D Mario games are 5/10 at best.
  • 154. Dawn of the Monsters - Switch (5-6hrs)

The answer to the question What if King of the Monsters was resurrected as a scrolling beat 'em up with a love it or hate it visual style?  I hadn't heard of this until it was included in a saleswatch gems vid.  It was reasonably well received in most of the scant reviews out there, settling on a Metacritic score in the low 80s on Switch.  I was feeling a little flush on payday (and EShop deals are my crack/craic) so the unexpectedly high sale price of £15 didn't deter me for a never-heard-of-it title as I do like to bask in the glow of a once dormant yet now thriving genre.  Belt scrolling beat 'em ups have returned with a vengeance of late, and I'm always up for the plod.

For at least the first hour or so I couldn't understand how on earth some of the reviews were so gushing.  Do people really like the kaiju city crush stuff so much that they're willing to overlook obvious gameplay flaws to get their monster smash on?  It's a scrolling beat 'em up with no run, no hold moves or throws and no jump. Having swept all those elements off the table you'd assume that the meat and potatoes would have to be on point.  Spoiler alert: I eventually realised that it almost is, but I was utterly baffled for the first chapter.  There's a dearth of moves available, and it's one of those games where you get locked into the long cycles of attacks, which didn't bode well for my compatibility with the combo system.  I thought the core brawling was borderline awful, and knowing that the campaign was a whopping 6hrs long didn't fill me with optimism.  Member people moaning about Shredder's Revenge lasting almost as long as a Spiderman film?  There's a sweet spot for these things, and I think everyone can agree that six hours isn't where it's at.

However!  The more I played, the more I grew to appreciate the initially clumsy, treacly brawling, then I got to grips with the weird evade system, and suddenly the rhythm and addiction set in together.  I'm not saying this is a great game - it's far from the top tier - but it is rewarding and enjoyable once you get into the swing of things.  And yes, it is fun to smash monsters with buildings, especially so with two players.  The balancing is way off and the tricky-ish solo game turns into a walk in the park with an extra player thanks to the limitless revive system.  Thinking about it though, perhaps that's ideal for the genre.  Does anyone really want a couch co-op game like this to put up too much resistance?  I'd suggest more players would prefer a spot of breezy battling.  

Aside from the standard stuff each of the four playable characters has three augment slots, which can be used for various perks to increase your numberwangs.  Quite why anyone would ever switch out the double heath recharge execution ability is a mystery (mercifully OP), but options for tinkering are there.  It goes on for far too long, variety goes for a burton pretty early on, there's a slight whiff of cheapness to the whole thing despite some nice touches (an assortment of bugs including audio drops don't help), and the core mechanics really need to be learned to get anywhere close to the most out of it, but overall I had a good time and would recommend it at half price/on a subscription service for fans of the genre.  I can't quite put my finger on the specifics of the spell it weaved, but it's different enough to warrant attention, and the combat is proficient enough to sustain interest despite the fact that it goes all on. [7]

bHctvY.gif

Disclaimer: Switch version is functional and has a performance mode for added FPS, but I assume any other format is preferrable, especially for anyone playing with a friend.

• 35. Flashback (Switch) - 6hrs

Another iconic release ticked off the gaming bucket list.

I completed Another World a couple of years ago and as expected this is slightly superior in everyway.

The game has two main flaws, firstly every subsequent level gets a tad less intersting, the first three are generally good with the final two becoming a bit of a slog.

Secondly is the general clunkiness of the combat. You do adjust to it and it is playable once you do, but even after hours of play you'll find yourself wanting to break a pad because of Conrad not quite doing what you want.

As far as this modern re-release goes it ticks all the boxes. A few gameplay QoL features along with the option to toggle extra graphical effects etc, make it the definitive release.

Overall a product of its time that only gamers who played it back in the day likely to get any enjoyment from.

3/5

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 155. Soma - PS5 (5hrs)

Hugely atmospheric first person walking/narrative game that presumably contains plenty of stealth segments when played properly, but has (mostly) passive enemies on the safe mode I opted to play.  In some ways this was brilliant, and if I'd been less irritated by certain annoyances there'd be a strong case for this to be considered one of the best games of its type.  Some of the interactions were almost willfully obtuse though, to the point where I consulted a guide for the back half of the game (partly because I was often annoyed with the vagueness of its progression and partly because I was against the clock to get it done before my PS Extra sub lapsed).  'How the fuck was I supposed to know that?' is the anguished cry of a simpleton with this sort of thing, but I'm not sure I would have even spotted certain things without assistance, let alone plugged them in, rotated them, lined them up or what-have-you.  It's clearly my mistake for expecting a Finch type ride with Sci Fi trappings, but this is much more of a puzzle game than a sightseeing tour and without a guide I expect this would've taken me a good while longer to plod through.

The story is excellent, the voicework is mostly superb and the general sense of claustrophobic horror is strong.  It's not just dripping with atmosphere, it's submerged in it.  In terms of story/narrative this is super stuff, really well told and very nicely paced.  In terms of mechanics though, I think it would benefit from a remaster.   It's not an old game - appearing on PS4 in the early years of whatever that console generation is known as - but certain elements feel dated, from the way the interactions require too much needless button fiddling to the hilariously bad human character models (which mercifully you only see once or twice, but we're talking a possible low for the gen).

I'm doing that thing where I complain too much about a game I enjoyed again though, so I'll stop there.  Time moves pretty quickly, especially with genres I'd still consider relatively young, so what probably would've been a nailed-on [8] in 2015 gets a [7] now.  Play it if the thought of a creepy Bioshock, Alien Isolation, Tacoma and Enemy Zero hodgepodge floats your boat.  Well worth a crack, but don't expect it to hold your hand.

tumblr_p57ftl9J9a1soet89o1_540.gif
  • Three DNF's from me, but I've played as much as I'm likely to for now (especially as Black Paradox has been unceremoniously deleted).  

156. Sega Ages Virtua Racing - Switch

Still beautiful arcade racer that was a blast in small doses, but better suited to the bells and whistles coin-op format.  It's a decent game but there's so little of it my heart bleeds for Michael Newnham, who sat near me in year 8 and begged his folks for the Mega Drive port.  Which he then lent to me, which was great, but £69.99 for three tracks (and probably a MIRROR MODE), JFC.  I only played this long enough to finish each course before the timer ran out.  It's a stunning converstion but the controls felt odd - I favoured the dpad aside from one nasty turn in the third track (the analogue just seemed to turn more sharply), but because my JoyCons are fucked if I touched the stick the car did its own thing for a little while, which resulted in it veering all over the place coming out of the corner until it settled.  WD40 time again I guess.  #First world problems.  

Anyway, it's a great game to dip in and out of for a nostalgia wallop, but not something I'm inclined to hammer until my name tops the leaderboards.  A good arcade game that wouldn't grace a legit Best Of Sega hall of fame imo.  Switching between views on the fly is still a glorious a thing though.

tumblr_no6560OZpy1r7sijxo1_500.gif

157. Black Paradox - Switch

Roguelike horizontal shmup that made a good first impression.  It plays well, looks neat and sounds great.  It didn't take long for the rot to set in though, and unfortunately it's one of those grindy kind of rogues where you've got no real chance of initial success because you need to put the graft in to upgrade your ship over time with permanent perks.

Not for me thanks, not with this genre anyway.  Would've enjoyed a whistlestop tour if they'd added a simple arranged arcade mode with level progression saved, but sod going through the same motions from stage one for 15hrs in order to slowly pimp up the spacecraft.  Shame.

Black-Paradox-game-download.gif

158. Curses & Chaos - PS5

An old PS+ drop that I used to play on the Vita.  Thought I'd have another bash while I had access to my locked software again (mainly because Tribute Games didn't mean much to me back then, but now they're one of my favourite nu retro indie devs).  It's a simplistic screen clearance game where you deal with ten waves of enemies per stage.  You'll know if you'd enjoy it from a glance at the gif - and most people wouldn't, I'd wager - but it's nicely put together and well balanced for old arcadeheads, albeit in what might be considered a crushingly repetitive way for modern gamers.  It's okay solo, but very tricky, so I've shelved it again until I can rope someone into playing co-op with me, which is where it'd come alive I reckon.  Tilly wouldn't entertain the idea for a second, and it's not like I can win her over by saying things like 'think about how much you would've enjoyed something like this on the Amiga!'.  Will keep that in the locker for when certain mates pop round.  Good game.

5QQ1yv.gif
  • 158. Demon Throttle - Switch (2hrs)

Brilliant little forced scrolling, vertical run & gun shooter that unfortunately only exists in physical form, ergo Plato (GonzoTM) it costs around five times more than you'd expect it to - £27 on Amazon, plus postage.  Reviewing the game removed from the price, it's great.  In terms of value it's ridiculous though, so be warned.  It's a treat for sure, but I can't recommend buying it.

With that out the way I'm free to big it up.  Anyone who enjoyed - and might still enjoy - the straightforward shmuppery of Commando, The Ninja or GunSmoke will be at home here.  Difficulty is firmly in the doable zone, and although there are only four levels, with no continues and an old school back to the start approach when you run out of lives, it shouldn't take anyone affiliated with the genre too long to see off.  I got to the end of level three on my third go, but my Godly skills are infamously legendary so ymmv.  In single player you can freely switch between two characters, in co-op you get one each.  The gunslinger does a ton of damage, but the witch fires a hugely useful (but weak) spreadshot.  The more you use each character the more they level up, making them hit harder and move faster etc., but only for that particular attempt (nothing is carried over).  At first I favoured the guy, but the more I played the more useful I found the gal.  Bosses are a highlight, and can take quite a while to chip away at so you'll have to settle into their patterns early as hits can come in quick succession if you're not careful.  Visuals are as good as they need to be, overall it scores high on style points and at least some of the music must surely be the work of the Shovel Knight guy as certain motifs are so similar.  Each stage has a hidden area with a chalice to find to get the true ending, but it doesn't send you back hunting GnG style if you miss any.  The bad ending is all I've seen so far, 'cos some of the optional bosses are tricky in sp.  

So I dunno really, I loved it despite the fact that I have a weird obsession with how much games should cost according to the gospel of me.  It wasn't worth the money, and yet I've got no hard feelings because I had a blast. Considering the price it's a [5] really, but the game itself is an [8].  Pick one.

Demon-Throttle-Switch-1-1200x630.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Done for the year. Nier, P5R and Bayo 3 arrived for switch today. I've got Pokemon as part of F's Xmas. It's a switchmas for me.
  • 159. Metal Slug 3 - PS5 (90 mins)

Credit fed blitz through the main game.  I'm not sure how the series has passed me by for this long - I've been meaning to get around to it since the mid-90s, but the sequels kept stacking up and I wasn't sure where to start.  It's unlikely I'll play them all, so I consulted a random franchise top 10 on Youtube.  This was no.1, and the guy chatting over the footage didn't seem to think it was a close run thing.

Obviously it's soul crushingly difficult.  It has the decency to ease you in at least, but by stage 3 I could feel it in my plums - I wouldn't have the patience or skill to beat this game properly.  I tested myself with the level 4 boss, which I decided to see if I could beat without dying by setting a save state.  In the end I couldn't quite do it, but I managed it in two lives and it's clear that practice makes perfect, which is what you want with this sort of thing.  At certain points enemies were just munching through what was left of my 100 lives as I pushed through the rest of the game though.  Thankfully continuing gave me another 100, and I managed to do it in under 200 all told.  Touch me.  It wouldn't have made for much of a stream, but I had a blast.  The final level just keeps going, but the insane difficulty of certain segments is irrelevant with infinite credits so I was just shooting things, stabbing things, occasionally turning the volume up a wee bit more and chuckling to myself.

Visually it's easily one of the best looking 2D games I've ever seen.  There are some gorgeous indies around these days, but this would still place near the top of an all-time top ten pixel art graphics list. The animation, phwoar; beautiful stuff, with some top tunes to match.  The gameplay is great, but (and this may be due to the way I played it, of course) perhaps not the peerless run & gun perfection I was anticipating.  It's very, very good, but based on what I played not quite SS-tier.  Maybe co-op pushes it into the God tier.  Marvellous stuff though, I've popped some of the others on my watch list, will treat myself as and when. 92%

tumblr_inline_o3hpdqn2mr1ri065t_500.gif
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    2. (Yes I know.....) Stray - PC (6 hours)
    Picked this up almost on release then life distracted me from playing it. Had a bit of time over the last week and thought I would play it. I knew it wasn't too long. I really enjoyed it - they got a lot of what life with a cat is like (the random punting of shit off ledges) and the jumps felt very cat like. They obviously know cats too as the mannerisms they show for the cat are really lifelike.
    I had a bit of a disconnect with the robot being able to talk to the cat, even in some sort of weird future, how would they know words... but that's a me problem, I know. I went full collectible with the playthrough, hence the 6 hours, because while I would say I'll go back and get everything, we all know, me especially, that I won't. None of them were in too much of an out of the way place, so it wasn't as frustrating as it could have been.
    A very good game, that stops short of being great, but that's OK - greatness should be rare. [8]
  • tumblr_oab6z5g4pG1qa5250o2_640.png

Enjoyed Stray.  Agree that it wasn't quite great though.
  • 160. Grounded (Xbox Series S/Xbox One S) - 12-15hrs co-op, maybe 7hrs solo

I've been chipping away at this with Tilly in co-op for just over a month, with her on the hobbled One S version downstairs wearing her snazzy new gamer headphones, and me in the nerd den upstairs on the current gen version.  I'm amazed MS allow this on a single profile, so +1m points to them.  She's been hooked on the Honey I Shrunk the Kids premise since the footage first appeared, but other than a quick mooch around an early access build we didn't jump in until the 1.0 release.  

It's a survival game, which means plenty of crafting, resource management and item hunts.  Which also means it's not my sort of thing whatsoever, but I didn't have much of a say in the matter.  Thankfully the accessibility options are plentiful.  If you don't want to know the score, look away now: we played with stamina, weapon degradation, hunger, thirst, backpack loss and structural integrity off, and also set the bugs to ignore players. This allowed us the focus on the adventure, which now has a full set of story missions, but even so there was a hell of a lot of busywork required.  Even in what was basically full moran mode I had to spend hours looking for stuff Tilly couldn't be bothered with (there's a lot to do in the game, but looking for stuff is what you'll be doing the most).  It felt like Spiritfarer all over again, which I also had to grind solo for it to allow progression in co-op.  

I'm aware that this is the deal with the survival genre, but to me the gameplay loop felt a little like having to go to the shop if you want a cup of tea.  Then when you get there it turns out they only take cash, so you have to go to a cashpoint somewhere else.  The first one you find isn't working, so you eventually find one that is, but it's only dispensing £20 notes and the shop that sells tea has no change.  So you have to trek to another shop way over yonder to break the note, then return to buy the tea.  Which doesn't come in bags, so you'll also need a teapot and a strainer.  You've got cups and milk, thankfully (you went on a long winded mission for those yesterday, you're not an idiot).  An hour later, after much to-ing and fro-ing, you return with the necessary ingredients/materials to brew your tea.  Then, once you settle down to enjoy it, you accidentally press RB and chuck it all out the window like a mug and have to start the fetch quest again because you can't find the cup in your garden...

It's not all bad though.  Elements of the game are fantastic and at times it rivalled the best experiences I've had this year.  It's great to play co-op with a screen and a mic each, which has opened up a new set of possibilities for our co-op sessions.  Music is great, plus it runs nicely on the Series S (and reasonably well considering on the Xbox One, not that Tilly noticed or gave a shit).  I blame the Series S anyway.  The blur effect on distant items made no sense to me, as it seems to randomly waft in and out of focus, but that's minor in the scheme of things.  Parkour is a bit annoying, but that's to be expected in a first person game really.  If you're anything like us you'll fall off stuff a lot, even if you switch to the third person view.  Combat is crap too in fairness, not that it matters a great deal (to us anyway; indifferent spiders ftw).  It's easy enough to pick holes in this and that, but it's greater than the sum of its parts, as they say for slightly janky games that are still decent, and despite the crushing boredom of certain tasks I loved playing this in two player.  I accidentally made Tilly cry when I threw my toys out the pram yesterday, which took the shine off a little, but I'm forgiven apparently (there's a known glitch in the final mission that fucks everything completely - like lol start again stuff - but luckily I found a workaround that did the trick on a forum somewhere and stopped stropping/declaring that I was never ever going to play it again ever).     

Late game (fairly obvious) spoiler: You have to craft an embiggening cocktail to finish the story, and I sourced the ingredients with the help of YouTube.  This appeared as 'how to get embiggening cock...' in the viewable text of my search history, which of course one of my mates immediately spotted when I had people round for a drink on Saturday.  You love to see it.

A nice little game with enough charm to outweigh its flaws.  You'd have to be insane to play this properly though, imo, as it would literally take 100hrs to make a dent in it, but there must be some people out there who love to inject that sort of laborious grind into their veins.  I bet it's a blast with more players through.  [7] feels about right - for all the wonkiness you can feel the love that's gone into this in places.  Worth it for the absolute joy from Tills throughout most of the game.  She was absolutely buzzing when we got through the final mission.  I expect she'll review it at some point if I ask nicely, so there's probably a [10] on the way.

AlarmedVeneratedCrownofthornsstarfish-size_restricted.gif

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!