Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • 19. Employee of the Month
    Inoffensive and watchable comedy as two cash and carry dudes compete for the affection of new girl Jessica Simpson. 6

20. Another Round
    Four teaching friends in a mid life rut decide to test a theory that holding a certain amount of alcohol in your blood can improve life. Danish tragicomedy with the mesmerising Mads Mikkelsen in typically top form. Not as moving as the hype led me to believe, but both sobering (heh) and life affirming at the same time. 8.5

21. A Quiet Place Part II
    A solid sequel with a good addition in Cillian Murphy but just lacking the tension and focus for me that made the first film so successful. 7.5

22. Nobody
    Hugely entertaining action thriller starring Bob Odenkirk as a man in a rut pushed to return to his dangerous and deadly past. Lots of beautiful John Wickesque violence, and a high body count with a perfectly pitched turn by Odenkirk. 8.5
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 25. The Batman
    Great idea to make a crime thriller with Batman as the lead instead of making a typical Batman movie. There's better crime thrillers out there but this looks great and sounds great and RPats is great.
    [8]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    20. Bicentennial Man - sentimental to the max, there is something charming about the combination of early doors CGI with real world effects that were the rage in the late 90’s. Only Williams could have given this overly sentimental film some grounding with his usual effortless performance and humour. [7]

21. The Monument Men - surprisingly great WWII film with a stellar cast. Enjoyed it all and taught me something important about the war that I did not know. Really enjoyed it [8]
  • 19. The Godfather - 1/3
    50th anniversary 4K re-release of possibly the greatest film ever made, and still a/the GoaT.
    [10]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    20. Bicentennial Man - sentimental to the max, there is something charming about the combination of early doors CGI with real world effects that were the rage in the late 90’s. Only Williams could have given this overly sentimental film some grounding with his usual effortless performance and humour. [7]

21. The Monument Men - surprisingly great WWII film with a stellar cast. Enjoyed it all and taught me something important about the war that I did not know. Really enjoyed it [8]

Bicentennial Man remains the absolute worst film I have ever seen at the cinema - and I went to see Revolver. The wife and I still use it as a benchmark reference for total shitness.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    My cousin made me see XXX with him. I’ve still not forgiven him.
    Get schwifty.
  • The World is Not Enough is the only film I've ever walked out on, and Terminator 3 was the most disappointing by an absolute mile (with IT Part 2 still acres ahead of the chasing pack). Not sure what the straight up worst film I've ever seen in the cinema was though. Probably something on the American Pie bandwagon.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I saw The Sweetest Thing at the cinema. Only I was wedged in the middle of a row I would have been gone. Definitely the worst at the cinema, maybe the worst in general.
  • Forgot about that, I saw that in the cinema too so that's my final answer.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Last saw 12 Monkeys in the cinema at launch. Watched it again last night. There is still plenty to enjoy and while with a rewatch it has a stronger sense of tragedy about it , I found it just a bit shallower than I remember and not as slick. Pitt does a great turn in it and Gilliam's visions are always great to take in.

It's a splendid story and more could have been done with it. I'm in the like Willis school and he is good in this, and Madeleine Stowe is beautiful in it.

It is over 25 years since I saw this so I have to take that into account - but my initial reaction is it hasn't aged well but maybe that's because it's leaner than modern works are. Still a fine film.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    12 Monkeys is one of my faves.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's definitely in the upper portion of an imagined best film list.
  • I was wondering about that film a few days ago (after my sister in law said it was her favourite Kiefer Sutherland movie :eyes:). I remember liking it at the time but thought time might've been unkind.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    19. The Godfather - 1/3 50th anniversary 4K re-release of possibly the greatest film ever made, and still a/the GoaT. [10]

Watched the BluRay of this today. Still great. It's a 10/10 alright.
  • davyK wrote:
    Last saw 12 Monkeys in the cinema at launch. Watched it again last night. There is still plenty to enjoy and while with a rewatch it has a stronger sense of tragedy about it , I found it just a bit shallower than I remember and not as slick. Pitt does a great turn in it and Gilliam's visions are always great to take in. It's a splendid story and more could have been done with it. I'm in the like Willis school and he is good in this, and Madeleine Stowe is beautiful in it. It is over 25 years since I saw this so I have to take that into account - but my initial reaction is it hasn't aged well but maybe that's because it's leaner than modern works are. Still a fine film.

Hmmmm, might be time for a Fisher King rewatch. Been a while since I saw it but I remember loving it.
  • 26. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    What an absolute trashfire of a film. You can tell from the outset it had a trouble and chopped up production just in how characters and story and themes are all chopped and changed and the flow is completely fucked up throughout. Complete waste of time. 1 point for some well made practical effects that were poorly shot.
    [1]
  • davyK wrote:
    Last saw 12 Monkeys in the cinema at launch. Watched it again last night. There is still plenty to enjoy and while with a rewatch it has a stronger sense of tragedy about it , I found it just a bit shallower than I remember and not as slick. Pitt does a great turn in it and Gilliam's visions are always great to take in. It's a splendid story and more could have been done with it. I'm in the like Willis school and he is good in this, and Madeleine Stowe is beautiful in it. It is over 25 years since I saw this so I have to take that into account - but my initial reaction is it hasn't aged well but maybe that's because it's leaner than modern works are. Still a fine film.

Hmmmm, might be time for a Fisher King rewatch. Been a while since I saw it but I remember loving it.

This talk has made me realise I need to see The Adventures of Baron Munchausen again asap. Article I just read for prep: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/adventures-baron-munchausen-trauma-behind-classic-1193214/
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I rewatched Munchausen just recently. It’s still the wonderful folly of a film it always was. I was one of the twelve people who paid to see it in a cinema. I loved it then and I still love it now.
    Get schwifty.
  • I saw it twice as a kid. A gang with very particular skillsets? Can't go wrong. Was one of the first films I can remember being in awe of. I've seen it once since, when it was released on dvd I expect, but I'm definitely ready again.
  • 26. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    What an absolute trashfire of a film. You can tell from the outset it had a trouble and chopped up production just in how characters and story and themes are all chopped and changed and the flow is completely fucked up throughout. Complete waste of time. 1 point for some well made practical effects that were poorly shot.
    [1]

It really was shit wasn't it?
    I was bored. That's the worst crime for me
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brazil is still peak Gilliam for me. It's a masterpiece.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    24. The Tender Bar
    I didn't know anything about this going and it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. I'm finding it slightly hard to say exactly what I liked about it so much, I think it was just a really fun and easy going film which doesn't seem that common. Affleck is on great form and is the heart of the film even thought it's not his story. Several great supporting turns help and also that the plot (which is minimal to be fair) doesn't always go where I expected it to, which would have been the route of Hollywood cliche. Funny, heartwarming and an all around good time. [8]
  • davyK wrote:
    Brazil is still peak Gilliam for me. It's a masterpiece.
    Brazil is a legit masterpiece, but I have to say I found all his post-Brazil movies to be disappointing...except for The Zero Theorem, which is both brilliant and overlooked. 
    Worth seeking out if you haven't seen it.

Come with g if you want to live...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I was hyped for Zero Theorem but ended up not liking it very much at all.
    Get schwifty.
  • It's definitely not for everyone, but i really liked it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think Gilliam is best when his budget is tight. When you look back at the Python films they were cheap but he has a talent to make them look like they have a bigger budget.

I have heard of Zero Theorem - must check it out.
  • davyK wrote:

Have you seen the series?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Have you seen the series?

Didn't even know it existed.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It isn’t very good.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!