Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Matrix context -

It was the last movie I saw with my friends before I moved to Salt Lake City. We were all massively underage but went to a cinema that would let us in. We all wanted to see it because we watched the thumbnail videos of it on the Internet.

I moved to America after that summer and the Marrix was the second DVD I got (after a Bugs Life which touted a film to dvd crystal transfer)

I spent hours on that dvd finding extras and weird bits and bobs.

The new website excited those weird things in old man reg.

Give me this new movie.

Went to see The Matrix the summer it was released, at the Leicester Sq Odeon, when I was working in London on a job placement from uni.

I didn't know anything about it - didn't know who was in it, didn't know what it was about, didn't even know what genre it was. All I knew about it was from an advert I'd seen on the side of a bus: "What is the Matrix?"

It completely blew me away and remains my greatest cinema experience. The DVD was the send one I bought too - after Fight Club - and so I'm very, very excited for this. Trailer was fantastic.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    For reasons unknown I watched Superman v Batman (or is it the other way around?).

I felt queasy after it because I ate a whole bag of popcorn. Jeremy Irons was good value but then he always is.

Amy Adams looks great in it and Gal Gadot is smoking. Sheesh.  I like the two big guys but they are wasted in this.

That pretty much sums it up.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Watched it. Can’t remember a thing about it.
  • Why did you say that name?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. What a load of old tosh, eh?   :)
  • I think your point about the big guys is spot on. Not sure if you meant characters or actors or both.
    I think Cavill and Affleck make for great Bat Wayne and Supermens but unfortunately appear in dire movies.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That last line nails it. I think the small bits of both Wayne and the Bat that Affleck put into Justice League was great and he deserved his own film.

I have to admit I have a soft spot for Man of Steel. I know a lot of people on here hate it, but I liked all the Krypton stuff and I think Zod was well cast.
  • Always worth a re-post...

Come with g if you want to live...
  • I don't mind Mano Steel either.
    Costner death is weird but I'm not overly bothered by it.
    The main criticism of Superman destroying everything is addressed well at the start of Batsoup. Its everything after that is the problem.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Man of Steel is the absolute worst of all the superhero films. Terrible on so many levels.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I think your point about the big guys is spot on. Not sure if you meant characters or actors or both. I think Cavill and Affleck make for great Bat Wayne and Supermens but unfortunately appear in dire movies.

Meant actors but I do like the characters. Superman in particular seems to cause problems; his main one being that what do you put him up against? Haven't seen a good Superman film since Superman 2.

The fight sequence at the end showed in bits what a full on Superman battle could look like.
  • Kow

Nah thats the Whedon Justice League.
    Man of Steel at least had a plot.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Maybe, I haven't seen it.
  • In other news I have just learned The Substitute is a thing and now I must see it.
    What If Dangerous Minds but instead of Michelle Pfeiffer inspiring kids Tom Berenger throwing them out of windows.

• g.man wrote:
    Always worth a re-post...

I have never seen that before. It has made my day
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    I think your point about the big guys is spot on. Not sure if you meant characters or actors or both. I think Cavill and Affleck make for great Bat Wayne and Supermens but unfortunately appear in dire movies.
    Meant actors but I do like the characters. Superman in particular seems to cause problems; his main one being that what do you put him up against? Haven't seen a good Superman film since Superman 2. The fight sequence at the end showed in bits what a full on Superman battle could look like.

You make this:

81JDRABs0zL.jpg

You're welcome Warner.
  • Its doable but the studio will never go for it.
    All the DCU movies with Superman in made stupid money. They wont risk that for a softer, more complex Superman that probably would upset the average American cinema goer.
  • Anyone got any good, low-action scifi films to recommend? Despite saying it wasn’t her genre at all, my girlfriend enjoyed watching Arrival and Ex Machina with me, and I’d like to find others we could potentially enjoy together.

she didn’t enjoy Alien nor Bladerunner
  • Actually we planned to watch that his Sunday. Should have mentioned, but thanks. Def the sort of thing I’m looking for
  • Its a great movie.
  • Definitely Moon.

Silent Running
    Robot and Frank
    Interstellar
    Sunshine
    Annihilation
  • Yea I really enjoyed it, too. Iirc I remember thinking toward the end that there was an obvious tweak to the story that would have made it better overall, but in this moment I really can’t remember what exactly it was.

Thought Arrival was great too. Never heard of it before, but maybe that’s not surprising as until very recently I was only watching a film a year and I really don’t make any effort to keep up to date with these things.

I also enjoyed Ex Machina, but I’m utterly baffled why it didn’t end 10 or so minutes earlier. There seemed to be a really obvious and effective place to call it a day, and yet for some reason the professionals in charge or putting the whole thing together tacked on a bunch of pointless scenes on the end. For me it really detracted from my overall impression of what was an otherwise enjoyable experience
  • poprock wrote:
    Definitely Moon.

Silent Running
    Robot and Frank
    Interstellar
    Sunshine
    Annihilation

Cheers! Only one I’ve heard of here is annihilation. Didn’t enjoy it tbh, but happy to have some other suggestions to look into

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!