Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Agree, and I'd say even that was worth watching.

Edit: Deathproof
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I couldn’t make it through Deathproof.  Did not like.
    Get schwifty.
  • Deathproof was fine if you like feer
    PSN - minkymu
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Deathproof is absolute garbage. So is Tarantino. Most overrated director in the world.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Edgar_Wright_%2835706257512%29.jpg
  • Kow wrote:
    Deathproof is absolute garbage. So is Tarantino. Most overrated director in the world.

This man-cow knows.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Deathproof's fine.
  • It gets shat on because it's a weak offering from from a director with a high average imo. If it wasn't Tarantino it'd be the sort of thing people might find tucked away on Prime and describe in the movie record thread as 'surprisingly good fun' and maybe award a [6] or over-inflated [7].
  • I've only seen it the once tbf, and that was on release, but memory tells me it's a reasonable job at imitating a Russ Meyer effort, right down to the dodgy pacing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It would be garbage by any director but coming from Tarantino it gets given a pass. It was where it became apparent that his fame for dialogue was just smoke. The first half of the film is just really fucking awful characters having the most inane conversations, all sounding like Tarantinos yammering on about shit. Then the second part is a really boring and slow chase film. The deliberate fudging of cuts, poor image quality (only in some places too) etc is just pretentious crap that adds nothing. Hey let's make the film bad quality because that will be good and everyone will know I like obscure cool films.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Deathproof was forgettable shite.

I'll give Tarantino a pass on a lot of films, because I like his style but also didn't care for Hateful Eight and while Brad and Leo are great in Hollywood, the film doesn't do it for me as a whole. Both films just felt like an overindulgent wank fest for his own interest in cinema rather than actually good films.
  • The indulgence is what I like about them, or at least something I will defend even if it doesn't land for me.

There aren't many directors left who are allowed to do as such with a big budget.
  • S. Craig Zahler has a crack at the homage indulgence thing. I've enjoyed all of his films but mileage varies on the internet, he seems hated by many.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sadly when I met Tarantino it was at a signing for the Deathproof script. He was lovely though. I asked him about the rumours he was going to direct an X Files episode. He said they were true but it never quite came together. There you go. Sleep soundly
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I do still have my signed Deathproof script though
  • That’s like when I went to Miyamoto signing, but only had Mario Sunshine at my uni accommodation. Shoulda gone back home to get my LttP.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • As lockdown is dragging and I've been slightly under the weather, lots of movies and TV going on.

Just did 2 decent efforts.

The Drop yesterday. Little new York crime story with James gandolfini and Tom hardy. Very good.

Synchronic. Solid b grade SF thingie with the bloke from falcon and the winter soldier and second season of altered carbon. A little contrived, and characters are a bit unlikable in that very American everyone is an asshole kinda way, but I've seen a lot worse.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I rate Q highly. He is derivative but he has elevated being that to become a genre all its own.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My Son

Drama/Thriller with James McAvoy and Claire Foy. Their son goes missing - thats about the entire premise. The wonderful thing about this is McAvoy's entire script is improvised. He had no idea where the plot was going, what the motivations were, and he had no lines of dialogue given to him. A rough outline of his character and away he goes, he finds things out as we do. And fucking fuck me is he astonishing in it.

Really, really good film, which even without this 'gimmick' would be a solid and enjoyable thing. I always thought McAvoy was very good but this has elevated him.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

McEvoy is a class act. We have a great batch of homegrown at the mo.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • When people talk about Deathproof are they talking about the original version of it which is the shorter official Grindhouse version or the one the studio made him expand and push out when the Grindhouse idea tanked at the US box office? Cos Grindhouse Deathproof is short, sharp and fun but the full length version is a bloated mess that was never meant to exist.

Not that I'm saying Tarantino is a god and untouchable but seems weird to slag on a film that wasn't the original intention. Like saying Ridley Scott made a bad film with the original narrated Blade Runner.

My Son sounds good, I'll get onto it.

Same with Synchronic but only cos those filmmakers earlier films are excellent indie sci-fi films. Definitely check them out and in order of release Face.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm talking about both versions of Deathproof. I'm probably one of the few that watched the entire Grindhouse feature at the cinema (Machete trailer though) and me and the then missus wandered off to play a quiz machine near the end of his segment.

It's all round gash. Watched it recently and it does nothing right
  • Same with Synchronic but only cos those filmmakers earlier films are excellent indie sci-fi films. Definitely check them out and in order of release Face.

Word. Nabbed them now.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    just felt like an overindulgent wank fest for his own interest in cinema rather than actually good films.

This is defo accurate on Hollywood.

BUT sitting in a cinema and watching Pulp Fiction was fucking unbelievable. My mouth dropped open around about the time Hunny Bunny dropped the F bomb at the opening credits and pretty much stayed that way through out.

Epic

PSN - minkymu
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think anyone would really argue that Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction aren't both great films. His films just get worse and worse from then on.
  • I'd mostly agree, although Jackie Brown is decent.

I got off the QT train after Kill Bill, I enjoyed it in the cinema but rewatching it I just thought it was indulgent tripe. I need to give Django a rewatch, and am yet to see H8. I'd sooner watch Deathproof than either Kill Bill.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I got an hour into the Hateful 8 and gave up. More of his "great dialogue" and pointless, meandering nothing.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I loved The Hateful 8.
    Get schwifty.
  • I think Kill Bill is the last one I've seen. Not for any particular reason, I like all his films up to that.

True Romance is the best.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think Jackie Brown is his best film.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!