Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I saw Pulp Fiction in the cinema, knowing nothing about Q. There was little animated short before it in which everyone was Kirk Douglas - I'd like to see that again. Overall it was a magnificent experience - you felt you had to hold onto the chair arms as you swept through those scenes.

I cooled off Q a tad after Kill Bill but I have since reviewed my opinion of it and enjoy it for what it is. I suspect if I had seen more JP cinema I'd enjoy it all the more.

Django is great entertainment - Waltz is the highlight among its many great turns.

I enjoyed Hateful 8 too. Hollywood felt a trifle slow in some places but it made up for it in others. I watch any Q film I've seen again.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I like most of his stuff but I would agree with people's criticism that his stuff has gotten more self-indulgent since his usual editor died. I think from Django onwards.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Let’s do it.

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Jackie Brown (growing appreciation over many rewatches and probably because I’m getting old)
    3. Inglorious Basterds
    4. Reservoir Dogs
    5. Kill Bill (I’m putting em together)
    6. Django Unchained
    7. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
    8. The Hateful Eight
    9. Death Proof
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    1. Jackie Brown
    2. Reservoir Dogs
    3. Kill Bill
    4. Inglorious Bastards
    5. Pulp Fiction (I was 9 when it came out and I came to it late)
    6. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    7. The Hateful 8
    8. Django Unchained
    9. Deathproof (although I also was lucky enough to see it as part of the full double bill. FU MANCHU)
  • 1. True Romance
    2. Reservoir Dogs
    3. From Dusk Till Dawn.
    4. Pulp Fiction
    5. Kill Bill
    6. Jackie Brown
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Unbelievable but I'll entertain- True Romance somewhat holds up, Dusk Till Dawn is a bit of a shanner. Where's 4 Rooms you coward.
  • You know full well True Romance wasn't directed by Q. May as well throw NBK in there.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Like saying Scarface is an Oliver Stone film.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    S tier: Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction.
    A tier: Hateful 8, Django.
    B tier: Jackie Brown, Inglorious Basterds, maybe Kill Bill.
    C tier: Death Proof
    F tier: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Having said that, I’ve only ever rewatched RD and Pulp Fiction, so it’s possible that the other films may move if I did so. Except OUATIH.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    He's giving us the Joan rivers treatment
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I only watched True Romance recently, generally a good film, but the Walken racism scene didn’t sit right with me at all, left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I only watched True Romance recently, generally a good film, but the Walken racism scene didn’t sit right with me at all, left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.
    Yeah we watched it 2 years ago and flora had never seen it. She was looking at me during that scene going "this is the great movie?"
  • I know it wasnt directed by him but its his script. Natural Born Killers was re-written so heavily Tarantino doesn't consider it to be one of his films.

I've not seen 4 Rooms, so its not on there.
  • I think Hollywood might have overtaken Jackie Brown at the top for me, could be recency bias though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dogs, Fiction and Jackie Brown on one tier.
    Then the rest altogether one notch down from those.

I have yet to see Death Proof.
  • Y’know, I’ve enjoyed a lot of Tarantino’s films but I don’t think I’ve really loved any of them.

He creates amazing moments, literally incredible scenes, but for me that’s never really tied together into brilliant films or stories.

He’s a master of atmospherics, and of styling that’s so thorough you’re forced to believe in the scene - however ludicrous the character behaviour.

But the stories are often just not there. Which I get is deliberate. I know. But … imagine if his films had both. They’d be glorious.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah. He's a great director. But he isn't a great director. And I believe he would say that himself.

He can write. And he's damn good at casting.

He has made his mark and that's all anyone can hope to do.

Q is a lover of scenes more than the overall film. That's what I take away from watching his stuff.
  • Death Proof is much better if watched as part of the Grindhouse double bill with trailers as well.
  • Pulp and Dogs at the top. Inglorious and Deathproof at the bottom. Everything in between is interchangeable depending on mood.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Do we add Tarantino to the Ghibli and Nolan roundabout
  • Never mind page turn already dealt with it lol
    PSN - minkymu
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Bought The Matrix on Apple movies for the 4K/HDR goodness, came with the sequels for a decent price. The original holds up well and it corrects a lot the visuals that got messed in the HD/Bluray versions.

Watched Reloaded last night, with very low expectations of course, and it’s still shockingly poor in places, first hour boring background building of places and people I don’t care about. A very poor CGI fight with multiple Agent Smiths. The freeway scene is of course is the highlight and is just about worth the rewatch.

What I’d totally forgot about was how it ends, the musical ‘dun nuh nuh!’ when the cliffhanger is revealed, has to be a pisstake.

Not looking forward to the final part of the trilogy, I cannot remember a single thing about it, but have a horrible feeling all the boring characters introduced in the previous film are going to feature more.
    Things can only get better.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah watched em all recently to see if I was a bit unfair on my original watch and while I was probably a bit angrier about it back then they really are not great films at all.
  • There are no sequels to the Matrix.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Deathproof was forgettable shite.

I'll give Tarantino a pass on a lot of films, because I like his style but also didn't care for Hateful Eight and while Brad and Leo are great in Hollywood, the film doesn't do it for me as a whole. Both films just felt like an overindulgent wank fest for his own interest in cinema rather than actually good films.

But who doesn't love a wank?
  • davyK wrote:
    Dogs, Fiction and Jackie Brown on one tier.
    Then the rest altogether one notch down from those.

I have yet to see Death Proof (theatrical release) is off the bottom of the scale.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kate on Netflix. Really liked it, beautifully shot.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Let’s do it. 1. Pulp Fiction 2. Jackie Brown (growing appreciation over many rewatches and probably because I’m getting old) 3. Inglorious Basterds 4. Reservoir Dogs 5. Kill Bill (I’m putting em together) 6. Django Unchained 7. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood 8. The Hateful Eight 9. Death Proof

I'd need to do a proper rewatch of all, but my gut says....

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Inglorious Basterds
    3. Dogs
    4. Kill Bill
    5. Django Unchained
    6. Hateful Eight
    7. Jackie Brown
    8.Death Proof

Have Once upon a time loaded to watch.

Outside of Pulp, I'd say the above chat about moments is what's driving my list order.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Jackie Brown
    Hateful Eight
    Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs
    Hollywood
    Django
    Basterds

Kill Bill 1
    Kill Bill 2

Death Proof
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I fucking love Hateful Eight so much

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!