Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • nick_md wrote:
    A golden age.

It was. No reliance on CGI and the stars could actually do the stunts and fight scenes.
    A car flips at high speed and explodes? That's not CGI, that's a car actually flipping at high speed and exploding.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    MMMmmmmmmm Anna Kendrick.....

She doesn't do it for me I have to say, though I can see why she would for others. She plays a great part in this. It's rarely I really feel for a character in a film but she does the business in this.

Toni Collette does her thing too - reliably brilliant.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Is Anna Kendrick the one that looks like a spoon?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought she was the one always in the foetal position... or something.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    She's the one who isn't Olivia Thirlby.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is Anna Kendrick the one that looks like a spoon?

She looks very young (to me) and has an air of vulnerability to her. It's what makes her great in this film when the character shows her mettle.
  • Not seen Kendrick in much but I liked her in A Simple Favor, Blake Lively edged her however. A good film.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Webbins wrote:
    Blake Lively edged her
    Hello
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Webbins wrote:
    Blake Lively edged her
    Hello

Now that I'd watch!!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Burn after reading was a good cohens film
    PSN - minkymu
  • Webbins wrote:
    Not seen Kendrick in much but I liked her in A Simple Favor, Blake Lively edged her however. A good film.

I really enjoyed A Simple Favour too.
  • 32. Nobody. John Wick with a different lead and slightly different motivations. Still a fun 90mins. [7]

33. Luca. Nice Pixar adventure. Nothing fancy but solid entertainment. Kids enjoyed. [7]

34. Girl, Interrupted. Thought it was gonna be One Flew Over... but with a mostly female cast. Was much better than that (not better than OFOTCN ftr, better than some pointless immitation). [8]
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • 72. Promising Young Woman
    Carey Mulligan is excellent in this vigilante revenge thriller as a woman, driven by the rape and suicide of her best friend, who lures men into attempting sexual assaults. Very good debut from Emerald Fennell. A strong story, the ending bumming me out as I was very emotionally invested in Mulligan's character. 8.5
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    45. Arrival - still amazing and still gets better after each watch. Into my top ten.

46. Cruella - on the other end of the spectrum we have this origin story that no one asked for. Terrible in pretty much every way possible. Gets slightly better towards the end, but that’s taking it from a 0 to 3.

47. The Dig - wonderful performances all around in this quiet measured period piece based on a true story. Curmudgeonly Fiennes is excellent in the lead role contrasting strong against his previous archeologically obsessed character in…

48. The English Patient - three overlapping stories come together at the end of World War II. A take of betrayal, love, lust and loss with Fiennes, Scott-Thomas, Binoche, Defoe and an amazing supporting cast.

49. Enemy of The State - conspiracy fun from Tony Scott this type of late 90’s/early 00’s action flick still floats my boat. Apart from the ridiculous meet cute with Jason Lee, this is just a great example of solid action, plot that twists and turns, and a supporting cast (guys in the van) make it more interesting than it should be.
  • 24. Days of being Wild - 26 June
    WKW starts hitting his stride, with his first collab with maestro Christopher Doyle and the gorgeous Tony Leung (with a small unexplained appearance).  A great film with the intertwining character arcs that became a WKW staple.  A sad story that is at times heartbreaking and thoughtful, and it is beautifully shot with great repeating musical themes/motifs.  WKW fans will love it.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Enemy of The State - conspiracy fun from Tony Scott this type of late 90’s/early 00’s action flick still floats my boat. Apart from the ridiculous meet cute with Jason Lee, this is just a great example of solid action, plot that twists and turns, and a supporting cast (guys in the van) make it more interesting than it should be.

Fun film that. Features a handheld PC-Engine too. :)
  • The Dead Don't Die.

Fancied this because Jarmusch & Murray + Sturgill, then deliberately slept on it based on very mixed feedback. Finally gave it a go and ended up really liking it! It's got a vibe that almost courts ambivalence, but as soon as the theme kicked in for the third or fourth time I knew it had won me over. This can go on the very short list of zombie films I enjoyed, definitely not a genre for me on the whole.
  • Interesting, I was also swerving it due to mixed reviews but I might just give it a go now. This would be a harmless Friday night's viewing with a glass. Ghost Dog is my prime JJ work (due a rewatch).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought The Dead Don't Die was pretty dull and pointless. Cameos from Iggy and Sturgill did nothing for it really. I wanted to like it but it wasn't happening.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Dead Don't Die. Fancied this because Jarmusch & Murray + Sturgill, then deliberately slept on it based on very mixed feedback. Finally gave it a go and ended up really liking it! It's got a vibe that almost courts ambivalence, but as soon as the theme kicked in for the third or fourth time I knew it had won me over. This can go on the very short list of zombie films I enjoyed, definitely not a genre for me on the whole.

I watched this last night having put it off for much the same reasons.  I also really enjoyed it, whilst absolutely getting why most people were unimpressed. In retrospect it's pretty much what I should have expected from "Jarmusch does zombies".

It's a trifle of a thing, but I was consistently amused, and have found myself contemplating some of the decisions within it, and the reasons for them, on and off today, to the degree that it feels marginally less slight than at first blush.
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Highwaymen is a factual telling of the hunt for Bonnie & Clyde by 2 Texas Rangers played by Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson. They play their parts just as well as you would think.

Despite the period (mid 1930s) this feels like and is shot like a Western. Splendid supporting cast and some great looking landscapes and big sky shots. Really enjoyed this. I often wonder what happened to Costner - he's one of my favourites.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A string of big flops sunk his career.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Obviously after Waterworld and The Postman which are both top notch.
  • Dennis Pennis happened to Costner
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    He beat him at crown green bowls?
  • I liked that film.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s a great film.
  • Haven't watched that in years.
    Its All Gone Pete Tong is good as well.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Still pissed they never did a Strutter movie
  • Love Strutter. No way they could do it now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!