Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • Is it a long movie? I could put it on tonight after the football.
  • Nope. Not too long from memory. Worth it as Amy Adams is so sexy in this
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Cheers. Will give it a go later I think.
  • Webbins wrote:
    I got it. I dunno maybe I just wanted some more edge even though it wasn't the film's intention. I did like the final third and ending. I've watched The VVitch and Possessor this year so far so the yardstick is long.

Fair enough. I think I partly just liked seeing a movie set in Creswick which is a tiny town outside of Melbourne. One of my gf's friends is living in the exact situation as the movie with the 3 generations under the one roof and the grandmother with dementia. I met the friend and her mum and I kinda wanted to suggest they watch the film but opening up a dialogue about inter-generational mental disease isn't a first meeting kind of conversation.

But you're right, it's been a solid period for horror lately. Although I guess it always is when you know where to look. There's a bunch of stuff on my list to watch. The next being The Vast of Night I reckon
  • Fair enough. I think I partly just liked seeing a movie set in Creswick which is a tiny town outside of Melbourne. One of my gf's friends is living in the exact situation as the movie with the 3 generations under the one roof and the grandmother with dementia. I met the friend and her mum and I kinda wanted to suggest they watch the film but opening up a dialogue about inter-generational mental disease isn't a first meeting kind of conversation.

That's cool, I can see how you would connect to the movie more. There are those movies that you connect to more emotionally based on life experiences, Captain Fantastic was probably the last film I watched that really achieved that. Your average horror doesn't usually count, and touch wood I don't ever experience a hockey mask wearing razor fingered pin headed well dweller or I'm shit out of luck.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Watched Pulse for the first time a few weeks ago, finally finished off the Arrow extras yesterday. What a film, it really stays with you and I find myself still thinking about it now.
    Some parts were spooky AF, really well done.
    And I watched Friday 13th V today WTF. Even worse than 4!
  • And hi @Webbins ! Return my calls x
  • The Conjuring : The Devil Made Me Do It

It was ok. Decent story and nice to get away from the whole haunted house setting of the previous movies.

Just wasn't very scary which is a shame.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Fair enough. I think I partly just liked seeing a movie set in Creswick which is a tiny town outside of Melbourne. One of my gf's friends is living in the exact situation as the movie with the 3 generations under the one roof and the grandmother with dementia. I met the friend and her mum and I kinda wanted to suggest they watch the film but opening up a dialogue about inter-generational mental disease isn't a first meeting kind of conversation.
    That's cool, I can see how you would connect to the movie more. There are those movies that you connect to more emotionally based on life experiences, Captain Fantastic was probably the last film I watched that really achieved that. Your average horror doesn't usually count, and touch wood I don't ever experience a hockey mask wearing razor fingered pin headed well dweller or I'm shit out of luck.

I have an attic in the house I currently live in. Opening the door to it lets you see only half of it before the light drops off to pitch black. Definitely demons living in there. Or maybe I've just watched too many scary movies.
    I'm trying to think of if I've connected emotionally with a horror movie like I have with other films but I'm not sure I have. I think a lot of recent horror movies have tackled some interesting and complex themes about the self especially. I found reading and listening to podcasts about Saint Maud to be interesting because of elements of it that I hadn't fully realised.

Out of nothing, did many people watch Calibre on Netflix? Just came back into my head recently, was really quite good.
  • 53. The Map of Tiny Perfect Things
    A twee-er and not quite as entertaining version of Palm Springs (funny that they're both Amazon) but it does enough different and is enjoyable throughout if you're in the mood for another one of these sorts of things.
    [6]
  • Hyde wrote:
    And hi @Webbins ! Return my calls x

Ahh, so you're the heavy breather. You need to stay on the line, it takes me longer to get a semi nowadays.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 22. A Quiet Place Part II - 5 June
    More of the same cliched nonsense with lots of stupidity, but it was still fun and enjoyable.
    [7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Hyde wrote:
    Watched Pulse for the first time a few weeks ago, finally finished off the Arrow extras yesterday. What a film, it really stays with you and I find myself still thinking about it now.
    Some parts were spooky AF, really well done.
    And I watched Friday 13th V today WTF. Even worse than 4!

You should track down two if his other films: Cure and Creepy. Cure is one of my favourite films, criminally underrated imo. Tokyo Sonata also good.
  • 67. Saint Maud
    Powerful and unsettling study of a private nurse's religious fervour whilst in the grip of psychosis. Gripping and original psychological horror debut from Rose Glass with an excellent lead performance by Morfydd Clark. 9.5

Loved that this was filmed in Scarborough too, which I didn't know beforehand. I'd recognise that seafront anywhere, many summers spent traipsing past the Olympic Leisure and Coney Island amusement arcades, a pocket pull of 10ps. That final scene on the beach tho...

I've revised scores for The VVitch and Possessor in line with Saint Maud. All outstanding pieces of filmmaking that have stayed with me post viewing. Fantastic stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yar, my favourite film so far this year.
  • Possessor is fantastic. Has Wookie watched it yet?
    PSN - minkymu
  • I have not
  • Oh mate. Watch that. I am absolutely dying to hear what that experience was like for you.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Try November next, Webbins, if you're going down that line of horror.
  • And then if you’ve never watched kill list watch that too.

Mind fucked lol
    PSN - minkymu
  • Great film, should watch it again really.
  • Aye I shall look into those, cheers chaps.
  • 54. In & Of Itself
    Recording of a New York one-man stage show that's part illusions but mostly something else. Don't really want to say much more about it except that if you're curious you should watch it and go in blind.
    [9.5]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Seems unstreamable in the UK
  • Minkymu wrote:
    And then if you’ve never watched kill list watch that too.

Mind fucked lol

Kill List was amazing. Saw it in an empty cinema on my own.
    Took me 5 minutes after the credits finished to be able to stand and walk out. I was frozen in my seat in utter shock
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Seems unstreamable in the UK

Yeah I think it's a HULU thing. I had to dive into the seas for it. Worth it though IMO.
  • Minkymu wrote:

Mind fucked lol

Took me 5 minutes after the credits finished to be able to stand and walk out. I was frozen in my seat in utter shock

Yeah i was stunned for a few minutes after trying to unpack what i just watched. Wasnt sure how i felt about it for a bit, but after a day of it being in my mind i decided i rather liked it, and it was a special film.

Possessor is only other film recently thats hit me the same way, harder in fact. Absolutely class in a fuck me that’s disturbing kinda way.
    PSN - minkymu
  • https://youtu.be/FyRkoL45JGk

Even the trailer creeps me out
    PSN - minkymu
  • 55. Quiet Place Part 2
    Same problem as the first for me. Love the high concept sci-fi but there's too many moments that require you to not think about it for me to really get immersed in it.
    [6]
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Minkymu wrote:

Mind fucked lol

Yeah i was stunned for a few minutes after trying to unpack what i just watched. Wasnt sure how i felt about it for a bit, but after a day of it being in my mind i decided i rather liked it, and it was a special film.

Possessor is only other film recently thats hit me the same way, harder in fact. Absolutely class in a fuck me that’s disturbing kinda way.

Ok, I'll watch it this weekend. My wife and kids are away for a few days so I'll settle in and have a viewing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!