Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • Jaws is my all timer and the genre a fave so I’m likely a point or two higher on these things just because.

I thought the sense of hopelessness was perfectly realised and the effects of the main event were astounding for a low budget affair. It felt pretty classy overall. Not as showy as that Worthington croc one which I also really liked but I enjoyed my time with it just as much.
  • 21. Godzilla vs. Kong - 22 May
    Perfect popcorn spectacle movie to mark the return of cinema. As expected, story, script, acting, and exposition are all super shit. But I went for the monsters and found entertaining fights and spectacle.
    [6]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Ring 2002 Pointless remake but I had the lovely Naomi Watts to watch.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 43. Armageddon
    I'd forgotten how much I liked this stupid, stupid movie. It's in the so bad it's good category for me and the combination of grade A cheese, ludicrous set pieces and a fun ensemble cast made it a great Saturday night watch. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yeah Armageddon is superb nonsense
    PSN - minkymu
  • Jaws is my all timer and the genre a fave so I’m likely a point or two higher on these things just because.

I thought the sense of hopelessness was perfectly realised and the effects of the main event were astounding for a low budget affair. It felt pretty classy overall. Not as showy as that Worthington croc one which I also really liked but I enjoyed my time with it just as much.

Yeah I was impressed with how they did that but for the most part. Maybe less camera shake needed though.

davyK wrote:
    The Ring 2002 Pointless remake but I had the lovely Naomi Watts to watch.

I actually prefer the remake to the original. I think it's an absolutely stunning looking film for one, the cinematography is beautiful, and I like how it leans away from the supernatural/ghost/spirit side of the Japanese original which makes it a bit more grounded. I think it's that difference in cultural folk storytelling.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ring 2002 was perfectly fine. It's just I had seen the original (which I found slightly underwhelming anyhow) and didn't really see the point. But it came on after Eurovision and Wifey wanted to watch it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 44. Army of the Dead
    Fuck off Zack. 4.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Well edited review Grem... [9]
  • 47. Les Diaboliques
    The next film on my horror podcast. Very enjoyable thriller from the 50s. Possibly a bit longer than it needed to be but it tells a fun story. Good quality version on YouTube.
    [7]

48. The Fly
    Cronenberg did a good job hiring Goldblum and Davis because they really sell this. A lot leaner than I remember too but there's solid "flesh" action throughout.
    [7]

49. Army of the Dead
    Abysmal
    [0]

50. Ant-Man and the Wasp
    I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought i would. First time was probably hampered by coming off of Infinity War. Some really nicely done light comedy throughout.
    [7]
  • Those Who Wish me Dead
    At some point somebody said "We want to make a movie that honours the heroes in the forest fires". Then they made it into a competent thriller, largely forgetting that bit making the heroes laddy doofuses except for our hero Angelina Jolie played by Angelina Jolie. Jolie a dedicated forest fire lady made a mistake or something and wants to atone. She finds kid on the run from hitmen.

The movie goes along at a reasonable pace with some interesting action bits. It is all very OK.

The end is a tonal mess
    Spoiler:
    I wasnt really engaged enough to really care too much about that though.

The biggest crime is whopping great blue lens flares on a forest fire.

Its an OK [7] watch or dont.
  • Spiral: From The Book of Saw
    Much better than I thought it would be. Hated how the later Saw movies turned into pointless gore fests focussing entirely on the suffering of those in the traps.
    This was much more a police procedural focussing on the detectives investigating the cases and the villain reveal at the end made more sense than I was expecting.

Not bad
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 51. The Croods
    Very typical DreamWorks fare except this time all rather ugly to look at and some very average writing.
    [3]

52. Endgame
    Now I don't mean this is a perfect film but dang if it ain't a perfect viewing experience after smashing through all the previous films. They really did knock this out of the park in tying up pretty much all the threads and making it a satisfying ending. It got me again even on 2nd viewing.
    [10]
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I liked the Croods.

And yeah, as a film on its own Endgame is ok. But as a finale/victory lap it's excellent
  • 45. White House Down
    Absolutely cheese ridden dumb as all fuck action film, but was entertaining throughout and features a surprising amount of hand to hand grunting action. Like, really quite a lot of unnecessary and very noticeable grunting. 7.
  • 59. In Search of the Last Action Heroes
    Similar in vein to In Search of Darkness, however this concentrates on the great action heroes of the 80s (and touching on the 90s). Not as epic in scale or as exhaustive in content, the shorter two and a half runtime seeing to this. A good whistle stop tour of the likes of Arnie, Sly and Van Damme, with slightly more offbeat looks at the likes of Cynthia Rothrock, etc. 7.5

60. Dead & Buried
    Stan Winston effects driven 1981 horror with a notable early pre-Freddy Robert Englund appearance. A local sheriff investigates a spate of killings and uncovers a sinister, reanimated townspeople plot. 7

61. Relic
    Australian psychological horror starring Emily Mortimer. A dark, demonic presence hangs over the grandma of a family that her daughter and granddaughter struggle to comprehend. An interesting film that explores themes of dementia but was just lacking a little more edge for me. 6.5

62. Hellraiser
    Clive Barker's iconic 1987 gothic horror. The Cenobites and Pinhead in particular are great pieces of horror character design, although time and my age have dulled their impact over the years. 7

63. Hellbound: Hellraiser 2
    A part of me slightly prefers this to the original, it carries a slightly weirder tone and offers a more bleaker, gothic vision, plus Kenneth Cranham's Cenobite is gruesomely realised. 7

64. Ring
    I think again time and tide has dulled the impact of this since I last watched many years ago near release. The story and premise is still interesting, Sadako is still a creepy TV bothering chick, however it is a slow burn and the pay off now is not what it was back then. 7

65. Ring 2
    A lesser sequel that doesn't really add more to the legend and forgoes shocks and dread to play out like a conventional horror lite. A couple of stand out creepy moments that again have lost impact over time. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    In 2021 those feel like fair scores for Ring and Ring 2. I assume it wasn't Ringu?
  • It was 'Noot noot'
  • Aye, Ringus.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Ringi?
  • 66. Benny Loves You
    A manchild's stuffed toy turns apeshit plushie nutjob in this chucklesome, Child's Play meets Toy Story, zany, lo-fi British comic horror. 7
  • Shame you didn't like Relic so much, I loved it.
  • I got it. I dunno maybe I just wanted some more edge even though it wasn't the film's intention. I did like the final third and ending. I've watched The VVitch and Possessor this year so far so the yardstick is long.
  • Oh and The Wailing too, top stuff. Need to add Saint Maud to this list too.
  • American Hustle
    ’70s glam with the edges worn off. Incredible performances from Bale, Adams, Lawrence, Renner and Cooper, as con artists get out of their depth and the American dream sours.
  • I've been meaning to watch that for bloody ages.
  • I think that was my third time watching it. Cracking movie, really elevated by the acting (and wardrobe).
  • And Amy Adams' cleavage
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!