Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • Watched The Pledge last night with Jack Nicholson, really enjoyed it. Quite a depressing end but its stuck with me a bit, been thinking about it at points today. Its cool when a film gets you like that after the credits have rolled.

Anyone here seen it?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I have seen it and have vague memories of liking it - I gave it a 7 on IMDb.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Restless Natives, like most Scottish Movies (cf Local Hero) sucks balls.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Webbins killing it with his recent watches. Kudos.

You watched The Lighthouse yet?

Aye that was last year. Brilliant. This Eggers chap is a bit good.

Very much looking forward to his new one

• 21. Iron Man 3
    The more Shane Black you watch the more you realise he's quite a misogynistic director who likes the word "spaz". He can spin a good yarn but this didn't land as well for me this time.
    [5]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched the 1st Jack Reacher film. Hellish better than the sequel. I thought I had watched it before but I must have just watched a couple of YT clips of it.  I still think Cruise does the part justice.

Werner Herzog is always a treat to watch.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    First one is mint, second one is terrible.
  • I love how quiet the first film is. He doesn’t talk much, Reacher.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    26. Twilight: Eclipse the third film adds more violence and sexual three way tension. Full report in the main movie thread. I even laughed once. Are these films growing on me?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I love how quiet the first film is. He doesn’t talk much, Reacher.

Aye. The second one is more of a caper style of film. Very typical Hollywood fare. It was OK just not up to the standard of the first which is very different. Very Reacher.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    26. Twilight: Eclipse the third film adds more violence and sexual three way tension. Full report in the main movie thread. I even laughed once. Are these films growing on me?

Just you wait till some of the stuff that pops up later. Gets a bit wild.
  • b0r1s wrote:

I might go back and watch the first one now. I've only seen the second one and it is fucking awful.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 22. Sword and the Stone
    Been a long time since I'd seen this and I must have mixed it up in my mind with The Black Cauldron and others as I'd forgotten how nothing it is. Really quite cheap and boring. Squirrel part is still weird and overly sad.
    [2]

23. Minari
    Not bad. I'm liking Steven Yuen's current career trajectory and he does well but the film seems to be made by someone grab bagging from typical drama tropes but not knowing how to really make them work.
    [5]
  • Harsh! Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood are both Disney childhood favourites of mine! I still can remember the opening song from Sword in the Stone, 'When Knights were brave and bold....'

Probably not going to revisit now, wouldn't want to taint them, but remember Merlins battle with Madame Mim being decent.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I remember the funniest bit being a sugar pot getting into a fight with the other cutlery.

Robin Hood's better.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    22. Sword and the Stone
    Been a long time since I'd seen this and I must have mixed it up in my mind with The Black Cauldron and others as I'd forgotten how nothing it is. Really quite cheap and boring. Squirrel part is still weird and overly sad.
    [2]

What the fuck?
  • I'd go with that too. I think that era of Disney film is where they got handy recycling frames from other films too.

Black Cauldron was the first film I remember seeing at the cinema.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    I might go back and watch the first one now. I've only seen the second one and it is fucking awful.

First one is far, far better.
  • Eric’s right though, Merlin vs Madam Mim is top tier classic Disney. The rest of the film just doesn’t match up.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    I think that era of Disney film is where they got handy recycling frames from other films too.
    The animation from that period is so lively and expressive, I can't blame them for cutting some corners.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Harsh! Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood are both Disney childhood favourites of mine! I still can remember the opening song from Sword in the Stone, 'When Knights were brave and bold....' Probably not going to revisit now, wouldn't want to taint them, but remember Merlins battle with Madame Mim being decent.

That was a bit of a slump in the Disney output. Still decent stuff but not quite the same lush backgrounds etc.  But maybe that was part of the new style but looking at it now it isn't to my liking. I remember enjoying the films when I was a kid though.

First film I remember seeing in the cinema was Aristocats. Big single screen cinema. Stalls and circle. :)
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Monster Squad -  It’s...not great...
    Always loved your posts, but I am now stealth-suited up and just sliding into my Battle Hanglider. Before I launch for sweet England, pray tell what are your thoughts on The Goonies and Beastmaster?
  • Ive started watching Zak Snyders Justice league
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Ive started watching Zak Snyders Justice league

Me too
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    23. Minari
    Not bad. I'm liking Steven Yuen's current career trajectory and he does well but the film seems to be made by someone grab bagging from typical drama tropes but not knowing how to really make them work.
    [5]
    What!? You didn't like it? I really enjoyed it, just the right amount of humour and drama.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

I’ve heard of people like this, but never thought they really existed.
  • Minari is on my watch list. A 5 doesn’t sound good and I usually trust Shabby’s judgment. I’m still going to watch it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I watched Minari last night and thought it was pretty good. I mean nothing much happens but it's a nice simple story.

2/10 NEEDS MORE EXPLOSIONS AND SPACE MARINES.
  • Hyde wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Monster Squad -  It’s...not great...
    Always loved your posts, but I am now stealth-suited up and just sliding into my Battle Hanglider. Before I launch for sweet England, pray tell what are your thoughts on The Goonies and Beastmaster?

(Checks the skies)

I'm going to have to admit that I don't quite love the Goonies as much as everyone else, but I like it enough that when one of my kids saw a Belly Dancer for the first time she shouted "look Dad she's doing the Truffle Shuffle!"

Like I say, I suspect that had I seen Monster Squad as a kid I would have enjoyed it, but now?  I don't know, a film where the heroes spy on, photograph and then blackmail a topless teenage girl is kind of difficult to enjoy in this day and age. 

I would say though that the makers of Monster Squad definitely enjoyed The Goonies as much as you did, as lots of the beats are lifted almost straight from it. (Disparate group of kids who form their own secret society?  Check.  Overweight boy who is bullied mercilessly, but ultimately comes good?  Check.  Lumbering monster who appears terrifying but is actually a big old softie?  Check.  It's just the Monster Squad version of each of those tropes isn't quite as fun as the Goonies iteration - with the exception of swapping out the criminals for classic monsters, which is genius, if only the  monsters got to do more...)

The thing I most enjoyed about Monster Squad?  My wife shouting "you're all bloody virgins you idiots!" at the TV during the finale.
  • It seems I have upset everyone!

Do yourselves a favour and try and rewatch Sword in the Stone. It ain't great. There's really no plot at all which just makes it draaaaaag. I don't understand how there didn't have him get the sword and then have the vignettes be about him learning to be a good king. That's a story. A wizard turning a boy into animals for no reason is not.
    Now Robin Hood, that's a classic. It has an actual story too.

Minari made me think of Paterson and how Paterson showed you could tell a nice simple story without it resorting to the tropes. It was just too obvious in how it set itself up I think and just didn't really make use of the characters and setting that it had. I thought that kind of film had been done better and that affected my enjoyment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!