A Love Letter to.....
  • UFO: Enemy Unknown.

giphy.gif
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I would do one for Journey if I could actually write well. (Or Ico.)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Do one on Journey please, I need a chuckle
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Breakout - Atari 2600

Some of my earliest video game experiences are around old dedicated Pong consoles so the paddle control scheme is something that still resonates with me. This isn't only because of the nostalgia associated with it; I honestly believe we lost something when the control style disappeared from gaming quite early on. The Atari 2600 came with a pair of paddles along with a pair of joysticks and although the joystick soon supplanted its elder sibling, and for good reason, a precise and responsive method of game control was lost.

The 2600 library is peppered with some games that make good use of the control scheme over and above a pong variant compilation called Video Olympics that was a launch title. 2600 paddle games also offered 4 player modes as a pair of paddles were plugged into a single controller port ; a feature that was used in Video Olympics (in its Quadrapong mode for example) but is utilised to greatest effect in Warlords.

Breakout was originally an arcade game and it was highly accessible to those who cut their videogaming teeth on Pong despite its relatively high difficulty level. But Breakout is hampered by a lack of variety and longevity. Even for the hardcore player there is a 2 wall limit and a maximum score which once achieved strips the game of any replay value. The 2600 got a fairly accurate port and it even used the 4 player capability of the console to implement 2 vs 2 team games, but it retained the 2 wall limit.

Super Breakout came out later on and it could be argued too late; but it is a game that has aged extremely gracefully. The arcade version of Super Breakout features 3 modes:

Double - the player controls a pair of paddles stacked vertically and has 2 balls to juggle. This initially feels like a pointless addition to the game but one soon finds out that it is an exercise in synchronisation. The 2nd ball is served after you hit the 1st ball allowing you to keep both balls in play with some practice. But the ultimate aim of Double mode is to take out the last brick while one of the balls is at the top of the screen; ensuring it becomes trapped in the space behind the new wall so allowing it to demolish it from behind whilst the player only has to control one ball on the other side. The game scores double points when both balls are active so great variance in scores is possible.

Cavity - the wall of bricks has 2 cavities each of which has a ball trapped within. So the aim is to release these balls in a controlled way to ultimately achieve the x3 multiplier by keeping 3 balls active as long as possible. Liberating the trapped balls from above is optimal but requires a fair degree of skill to achieve with any level of consistency above pure chance.

Progressive - in this mode the player is presented with a series of walls with gaps between them that slowly move down the screen toward the player's paddle. At first the wall drops by one notch every 8 hits but it eventually cranks up so that the wall moves with every hit of the ball. As bricks move down the screen they become worth less points and they will disappear once they pass the point at which they are very close to the level of paddle - where they can cause ball deflections that require an extremely high degree of skill to deal with.  This is an early example of an endless mode and probably enjoys the most replay value of each of the 3 modes.

Super Breakout on the 2600 implements all 3 of these modes AND the original classic mode with the 2 wall limit removed. Two player alternate turn modes are implemented in classic, double and cavity modes; with progressive only supporting one player - likely because of the restriction of the 2600's 128 byte RAM.

The unwritten aim of each mode is to roll over the 4 digit score. Achieving 10,000pts in any of these modes provides quite a challenge - and anyone who achieves it in the extremely tough progressive mode would deserve acclaim.

The 2600 difficulty switches can be used to reduce the size of the paddle. Given that the game reduces the original size of the paddle when the ball first hits the top of the screen, the game is tough enough at default paddle size so the more difficult option would provide a stiff challenge for the hardcore.

Control is faultlessly implemented with the 2600 paddles - their accuracy and responsiveness (in spite of their age) embue the player with the feeling that any life loss is not the fault of the game.

Atari also added a little feature that changes the sound effect "pallette" each time a new game is started - a simple effect that prevents the blip blop sound effects from becoming too monotonous.

This genre died after this game. And apart from an arcade cameo appearance in the popular Arkanoid, it never became a viable game style again - although coding one up is probably a rite of passage for game developers. The 4 modes offered by 2600 Super Breakout deliver a complete package of everything the genre has to offer requiring no further adornment such as that offered by Arkanoid and its variants.

It remains a beautifully pure game  - the simple act of keeping the ball in play whilst trying to chip away at a desired part of the wall is in equal parts hypnotic and satisfying. The simplistic graphics - well within the capabilities of the humble host hardware - and attractive colour palette means I still find it aesthetically pleasing to the eye as well.

It also happened to get a proper PAL port running slightly better than the NTSC original for some reason and I also happen to own the game complete with packaging and manual.

I still play this game today - 30 odd years on - and as long as my woody console and CRT work I see no reason why I will stop.

superBreakout1Small.jpg

superBreakout2Small.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Just look in the mirror.
  • Quality stuff Davy.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Loved Breakout, and the paddles were brilliantly underrated controllers

Pah and we think it's only Nintendo that do innovative immersive control schemes
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I contemplated contributing to the thread regarding my favourite game.

It’s NiGHTS Into Dreams.

But the quality of the writing, and the amazing effort shown by some already in this thrread has put me off. No way I could reach that standard, or anywhere near.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bollocks, I gave it a bash, just stream of consciousness crap, it's fine - fuck mine wasn't even the right game

Also @Andy, liked your piece, never played it, is it related to God Hand at all, just the character models and interactive environment bits looked familiar
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I played halo with yoss. He's even worse at it than I am.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My skills are mostly in campaign, TBH, that’s always been my focus with the series. MP has always been about having a laugh with badgers.
  • Quality stuff Davy.

Yeah. Worthy of time extend.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

Just look in the mirror.

Who's that good looking chap?
  • I like the sound of Journey.
  • They're not as tight as Fruminous Bandersnatch.
  • I guess won’t bother then. 

Carry on gushing about the utter rubbish that you like.
  • Oh c'mon, don't stop believin'.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Gushing, not dousing.  You should definitely bother.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I guess won’t bother then.  Carry on gushing about the utter rubbish that you like.

Sorry, Elf, I couldn’t resist. A bit hypocritical of me. Please don’t let it put you off writing something.
  • Saight, not taken too seriously. Your vid was kinda funny.

Guess what probably got to me was that I personally like seeing others being somewhat passionate about the games they liked. Even if it’s a game that I didn’t like.

I’d write something but I’m not very good at it. We both seem to like Ico, maybe you can do another one for that... in fact I’m sure you already have in a previous thread...?
  • Andy's Bushido Blade -
    I always thought this was a game that sounded interesting, but also feared it would play a bit too 'clunky'...never had the opportunity to play it.

Davy's Super Breakout -
    I had the paddles for the atari 2600 as a nipper, they were pretty cool. Also pretty certain we had a breakout game for the atari, yet in my brain the game is muddled with arkanoid so I'm not sure which one...basically i remember the paddles, which means the atari, and i remember power up drops and multiball etc., which I think means arkanoid! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I'm going to retro Bushido Blade and have a look. I remember it coming out and getting a decent Edge review.
  • I found it too hard at the time. But then, I was pretty shit at most games.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Guess what probably got to me was that I personally like seeing others being somewhat passionate about the games they liked. Even if it’s a game that I didn’t like.

This. So do it for everyone else. Ico would be good.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Also @Andy, liked your piece, never played it, is it related to God Hand at all, just the character models and interactive environment bits looked familiar

Sorry, meant to reply earlier. I’m not aware of any relationship between the two.
  • @gazelle maybe link to each persons entry in OP? Would be good to read back now and then and find entries easily.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    We both seem to like Ico, maybe you can do another one for that... in fact I’m sure you already have in a previous thread...?

My write-up on Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons referenced Ico, but I don’t think I’ve written about it specifically. I may have to remedy that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I contemplated contributing to the thread regarding my favourite game. It’s NiGHTS Into Dreams. But the quality of the writing, and the amazing effort shown by some already in this thrread has put me off. No way I could reach that standard, or anywhere near.

Nonsense - go for it. We have different styles. I have some experience in writing on line reviews and I fall into that - how I write about a game doesn't really fit a forum style in my opinion.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dynamite Headdy

I'm partly picking this one because it's overlooked.  It's hardly an obscure hidden gem, but it faces such stiff opposition from Treasures own titles it struggles to get a look in when most people are gushing over their wares.  From memory it was their third or fourth Mega Drive title, depending on when Yu Yu Hakusho was released, and it's my pick for their best 16-bit release.  The holy trinity of Megadrive platformers for me would be Headdy, Rocket Knight Adventures and Sonic & Knuckles with Sonic 3 cheekily shoved in the top to count as one game.  In terms of inventiveness and variety, Headdy tops the list hands down.  There's just so much to it, so many variations on the standard left to right progression.  Most stages are pure platform side scroller, but then you'll find an aeroplane strapped to your neck and all of a sudden it's a shmup.  Other stages see you ascending spinning towers, or give you the ability to move up and down the plane on rotating platforms.  It's long, it's difficult (I had to rent it twice to beat it), it's chock full of secrets, the bosses come thick and fast and it pulls off visual tricks Mega Drive owners were accustomed to viewing with jealous eyes.  Special mention for the soundtrack: plug some headphones into the MD and treat yourself to one of the console's greatest scores.  

The two main Sega mags at the time cottoned on to the greatness, I think it received a huge 96% from Sega Magazine and something similarly whopping from Mean Machines Sega (94%?), and I make them as right now as I did back then.  It's an absolutely glorious shimmering masterpiece from start to finish, and if Shining Force II didn't exist it'd probably be my favourite MD game.

28-Dynamite-Headdy-Genesis.gif?ssl=1

And if Bangai-O and Guardian Heroes didn't exist it'd be my favourite Treasure game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!