A Love Letter to.....
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    @gazelle maybe link to each persons entry in OP? Would be good to read back now and then and find entries easily.

Will do this afternoon.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Err, how do I link a post? Right click Quote not working.
  • Ta.
  • OP updated.
  • This is what I wrote about Journey in my top 100. It's not a writeup I'm particularly pleased with though, because it's difficult to explain why it works so well. Basically, it creates a feeling of going on a journey of discovery, with ups and downs, acquaintances met on the way etc. Anyway, FWIW:
    Journey: Often criticised for not being a game, and it's hard to argue against that, but the reason it works as an experience is in the title. You merely need to travel, over deserts and through ruins, always towards a mountain that towers over the horizon. Why? No idea - it's not the destination that counts. Journey captures a sense of traversing a magical and long forgotten environment, interacting with its ancient machinery and wildlife to advance, and uncovering its secrets along the way. Or, even better, bumping into another player and sharing the trip with them, guiding each other to the most interesting sights for no other reason than the social interaction. It's all part of a 'game' built to capture the surprise and wonder that come with advancing into the unknown. This is further scripted by the constant changes of pace and scenery - from a slow trek under the sun to an exhilarating downhill slide to running scared in darkened tunnels to a brutal climb through a blizzard. And then a joyous finale that rewards you by removing all the fatigue and the effort of travel to set you flying free. Throughout, the mystical atmosphere, expressive colour palette and exceptional soundtrack control the mood expertly. Then, within three hours you're back at the title screen, and even though there's not much beyond a few minor secrets left to find, or maybe another companion, it's worth going again just for the... well, the journey.
  • Want me to put that in the OP? Or feel to expand on it if you like. It's be nice to not just link from other threads or Skerret's imagination, which by the way is filthy. That Thief 2 letter was disgusting.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m half tempted to update my Halo post. Halo deserves it.
  • I'll never look at goats in the same way again.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m half tempted to update my Halo post. Halo deserves it.

Go mental, at The Guardian's expense.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'll never look at goats in the same way again.

OUNyd.jpg
  • Want me to put that in the OP?
    No, don't bother. I only posted it because of the Journey chat.

I'm sure I'll pick something else if I get round to writing anything more substantial.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Dynamite Headdy I'm partly picking this one because it's overlooked.  It's hardly an obscure hidden gem, but it faces such stiff opposition from Treasures own titles it struggles to get a look in when most people are gushing over their wares.  From memory it was their third or fourth Mega Drive title, depending on when Yu Yu Hakusho was released, and it's my pick for their best 16-bit release.  The holy trinity of Megadrive platformers for me would be Headdy, Rocket Knight Adventures and Sonic & Knuckles with Sonic 3 cheekily shoved in the top to count as one game.  In terms of inventiveness and variety, Headdy tops the list hands down.  There's just so much to it, so many variations on the standard left to right progression.  Most stages are pure platform side scroller, but then you'll find an aeroplane strapped to your neck and all of a sudden it's a shmup.  Other stages see you ascending spinning towers, or give you the ability to move up and down the plane on rotating platforms.  It's long, it's difficult (I had to rent it twice to beat it), it's chock full of secrets, the bosses come thick and fast and it pulls off visual tricks Mega Drive owners were accustomed to viewing with jealous eyes.  Special mention for the soundtrack: plug some headphones into the MD and treat yourself to one of the console's greatest scores.   The two main Sega mags at the time cottoned on to the greatness, I think it received a huge 96% from Sega Magazine and something similarly whopping from Mean Machines Sega (94%?), and I make them as right now as I did back then.  It's an absolutely glorious shimmering masterpiece from start to finish, and if Shining Force II didn't exist it'd probably be my favourite MD game.          28-Dynamite-Headdy-Genesis.gif?ssl=1 And if Bangai-O and Guardian Heroes didn't exist it'd be my favourite Treasure game.
    Quoting for page turn but also just to agree. That boss in the GIF is one of the great 'wow' moments of the time, most of which I was used to seeing on SNES games.

It's probably just a little too tough in the end, especially with the limited continues system, but other than that basically faultless. I played the opening levels again recently on the MD collection and it still controls really well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Liking the looks of Headdy - never played it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Earning continues was a bit of a lottery, I often missed them despite approaching a fallen boss with a 'don't fuck this up' determination.  It made success sweeter, all things considered it's one of the hardest games I can/could get through without infinite attempts, but yeah, despite being fair when dishing out damage there probably wasn't enough margin for error.
  • Headdy is a great game. I found it far too hard to get far into the game though.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I still own it and on Moots recommendation a couple of years ago booted it up again and found it still too hard for me. I should play it on the Retron 5 and save state it to death. Doesnt have the immediacy of Gunstar Heroes that's for sure.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • It's definitely more of a slow burn/redouble your efforts game than Gunstar. First time I rented it I couldn't get past the level 7-1 boss, but it gradually gave in. Probably still my favourite ending sequence too, none of your single screen 'congratulations!' pish for Headdy, it lasted about 15 minutes.
  • C, A, left right B is yer title screen level select cheat too, if anyone fancies skipping straight to Spinderella.
  • The one issue really is that it's a long game to start from the beginning each time. It's a shame it kept the arcade style progression system. I think I got to level 7 when I owned it originally, and the thought of doing all that again got too much after a while. The last couple of bosses are bastards too, and would certainly have cost another few restarts.

It's well worth playing now with save states though. It doesn't really get tough until about halfway through anyway.

The other thing of course is that the best Treasure game is Astro Boy.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    C, A, left right B is yer title screen level select cheat too, if anyone fancies skipping straight to Spinderella.
    FFS. Maybe if I'd known that...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ikaruga 4 lyf.
  • Astro Boy is 4th for me I think.

Bangai-O, Guardian, Dynamite, Astro Boy, Sin & Punishment 2. What a 5, it's ridiculous.
  • Gradius V is top notch. Needs a re-release!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Shamefully I owned that but sold it without even breaking the factory seal, so it's pretty high up my list of games I'd like to see rereleased too.
  • Ikaruga, S&P 2 and Mischief Makers would complete a top 5 for me.

It's not like I've played all their games though, at least not enough to judge clearly.
  • Ooh, Treasure Top 5's? Nice.

5. Astro Boy
    4. Gunstar
    3. Radiant
    2. Ikaruga
    1. Sin & Punishment 2

Imo etc
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Shamefully I owned that but sold it without even breaking the factory seal, so it's pretty high up my list of games I'd like to see rereleased too.

Sealed copy would probably be worth a fair bit right now.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Treasure top 5...

1) Gunstar Heroes
    2) Guardian Heroes
    3) Radiant Silvergun
    4) Astroboy
    5) Gradius V

I think.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Mark knows!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!