SNES mini
  • RE: Ocarina of Time: I'd say it is only the graphics that hold it back to be honest, and the 3DS update helps with that. The majority of the gameplay is solid.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • OoT was 256mb - I remember merely because I was at school at the time and valiantly defending the N64 against the PSX fanboys. Numbers were a big deal back then! lol

Still a staggering amount of game in a number that wouldn't even cover a bunch of new guns in a CoD update
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    kestla wrote:
    OoT was 256mb - I remember merely because I was at school at the time and valiantly defending the N64 against the PSX fanboys. Numbers were a big deal back then! lol Still a staggering amount of game in a number that wouldn't even cover a bunch of new guns in a CoD update

256 megabits = 32 megabytes. It's amazing - isn't it? I assume some sort of compression was used but then 3D polys don't actually take up a lot of space as they are vector data. Textures would take up space. But really to get a world of that size and the associated code into that amount of storage is impressive.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I remember Sega boasting some Master System games were 1 Megabit. They were quite into that thinking about it, they still had the odd MD game that had its size advertised on the box.

Mad times.

Just like kids thinking the floppy disc icon on MS Office is the save icon and not that it used to be a physical disc with 1.44MB.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Biggest N64 cart was RE2 I believe, 512 megabits, or 64MB in real money.

Biggest SNES was 64 megabits iirc, a late JRPG.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just like kids thinking the floppy disc icon on MS Office is the save icon and not that it used to be a physical disc with 1.44MB.

And that was only after we moved to HD (high density) floppies … beforehand it used to be half that!
  • Any word on the hack for this being released? It's a pain in the arse having to get up to change games.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • davyK wrote:
    kestla wrote:
    OoT was 256mb - I remember merely because I was at school at the time and valiantly defending the N64 against the PSX fanboys. Numbers were a big deal back then! lol Still a staggering amount of game in a number that wouldn't even cover a bunch of new guns in a CoD update

256 megabits = 32 megabytes. It's amazing - isn't it? I assume some sort of compression was used but then 3D polys don't actually take up a lot of space as they are vector data. Textures would take up space. But really to get a world of that size and the associated code into that amount of storage is impressive.

Oooh, ok. I've slipped my feet into my othopedic shoes and stand corrected :D
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    Any word on the hack for this being released? It's a pain in the arse having to get up to change games.

If you have a wii pro controller then the home button replicates the reset button.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    Any word on the hack for this being released? It's a pain in the arse having to get up to change games.

If you have a wii pro controller then the home button replicates the reset button.

I think I do have one of those. Would a Wii U Pro controller do the same? I would imagine my Wii controllers are stashed in a box somewhere.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • poprock wrote:
    Just like kids thinking the floppy disc icon on MS Office is the save icon and not that it used to be a physical disc with 1.44MB.

And that was only after we moved to HD (high density) floppies … beforehand it used to be half that!

Was that the actual floppy flopping discs? I remember the C64 ones being like that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember floppy discs with the Apple IIe and BBC micros in school. 5.25". 180K they stored. Proper floppy in a semi-rigid envelope. The classic save icon is usually of a 3.5" diskette in a rigid plastic casing.

There were larger floppy discs than 5.25 - I can remember seeing vinyl album sized ones when I went to technical college. They were used on what was called an RM 380Z machine.
  • poprock wrote:

Was that the actual floppy flopping discs? I remember the C64 ones being like that.

No, 3.5" floppy discs. The ones which were hard plastic squares, obviously.

The ST & Amiga both used single density discs until about halfway through their product cycle. The upgrade to high density was revolutionary to us at the time. So much space!
  • Impressive, C64 were the first I ever saw but the only ones I used regularly were the standard 3.5 90s PC ones.

Remember many a game coming on multiples of those, a version of Windows to, 95 maybe?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The joys of Monkey Island on floppy disk. 

Insert disk 6.  Grind grind grind.  Insert disk 1.  Grind grind grind.  Insert...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A RM380Z running with 5.25" floppies - Just look at it. And listen too. Love those sounds.

Bonus - now you know why a hard drive is called "C"

• Can't see the video but I thought the "C" designation was because "A" and "B" were typically reserved for floppy drives.
  • Can't remember if I used the 5" or 3.5" ones on our BBC micro. We barely ever bothered with the tape reader, helluva racket.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Can't see the video but I thought the "C" designation was because "A" and "B" were typically reserved for floppy drives.

Aye.  I reckon there will be a few here young enough to not realise that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I thought A was the floppy and B was the RAM, to which it would be read if executing direct from disk
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • YOU THOUGHT WRONG.
  • Yeah, BBC B used 5.25" floppies. Weird, fragile, things.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I never think, I just let my gums wobble. A lot of the time I'd get away with it

I mean who could afford two drives with removable media?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Though it does make sense not to be able to access the RAM directly, especially when back then we had a few k and that was it
  • Two drives in the St/Amiga days meant you were a serious gamer. You put the disc one in the internal drive and disc two in your external. No swapping discs mid-game for you. King among men.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Except for those games that didn't support the external drive......

Arseholes.
  • Or that came on more than two disks (see above).
  • yes, i've got one now for my A500 but didn't back in the day. Would've killed for one. Like Unlikely, it was games like Monkey Island (never had it but knew of the disk volume) and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade which took around 6. Even workbench had quite a few. Remember having almost a ninja like ability to flick my first two fingers to flick through disks in the disc storage boxes at great speed.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Pah, us poor folk had to note down the counter number on the cassette where different games loaded new levels or on som compilations where different games where. OutRun and California games I'm looking at you. ALternatively half press play and hope you had stopped it at the right sized pause in high speed extra high pitch load tones else you'd load the wrong game/level
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Or that came on more than two disks (see above).

Not when most of your games were cracked/packed versions. Nearly everything got compressed down to two discs max in the end. The cracking crews were bloody geniuses in those days.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!