SNES mini
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Tell me, why buy this over an actually SNES + 100 carts?
    Space limitations?
    Does the mini have more memory then?

Cost is the main thing, LTTP is 30-40 quid alone.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Space limitations?
    No, I meant about having 100 carts lying about the place.

But what has that got to do with RAM or ROM?
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Space limitations?

Well you need somewhere to RAM them.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Space limitations?
    Well you need somewhere to RAM them.

Touche.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It’s also cool how the old programmers used the blurriness of crt to make pictures look better than they would if they were crystal clear.

Link.png

JonB wrote:
    On Amazon there are 95 sellers selling new stock, all at £130+. It's a ridiculous situation.

That's our housing for you.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Space limitations?

Cost is the main thing, LTTP is 30-40 quid alone.

The Final Fantasy and Earthbound will set you back in the hundreds each. Probably some others too.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • There's always the Virtual Console option for some of the games.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime

Until early next year!

Until early next year!

If you already own them, they'll be okay, won't they? I haven't been paying attention to Nintendo's plans tbh.
  • Somewhat. The redownlability of them ends in 2019.
  • That's just the Wii.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Guy sold in two of these in work today. Got £110 each for them. Going out at £150. Yikes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I really should back my Wii SD card up.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • That's just the Wii.

Aka, good virtual console.
  • Agreed but they are available elsewhere, the selection on past Nintendo consoles is actually better on Wii U than Wii.

What I want to know is what the plans are for the service on the Switch.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Really hoping they load the virtual console with some Wii titles. Never had one, so completely missed out on heaps of stuff.
  • the wii u vc has wii titles. Cheapest way of getting Metroid Prime Trilogy (if you have the wii u already)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The U could be hacked to run emulators until its latest firmware.
  • Didn't have the Wii U neither. That I've not played the Metroid Prime sequels or Mario Galaxy, saddens me. I had the GameCube so could've played the other Metroid's I suppose, but by then Halo and Xbox had taken over my life
  • Mario Galaxy is worth the purchase of a Wii.
  • The WiiU is a great bit of hardware to have considering it covers the entire Wii and WiiU range and means you can use hdmi for Wii.
    Load the Wii app and it is just a Wii without the GC capability, it takes backwards compatability a step further by emulating the entire console OS including store.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Mario Galaxy is worth the purchase of a Wii.

I tried my best to get into it, but it just kept annoying me. The tiny little planets that afforded impressive graphics via the lovely skybox of space; Bowser kidnapping Peach again; the enforced waggle...

You play on worlds rather than having Mario immersed within them, and despite him controlling well, that funnelling felt really constrictive. It's the most prescribed 3D Mario, arguably more so than 3D World. And it's slow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Mario Galaxy is worth the purchase of a Wii.
    I tried my best to get into it, but it just kept annoying me. The tiny little planets that afforded impressive graphics via the lovely skybox of space; Bowser kidnapping Peach again; the enforced waggle... You play on worlds rather than having Mario immersed within them, and despite him controlling well, that funnelling felt really constrictive. It's the most prescribed 3D Mario, arguably more so than 3D World. And it's slow.

My argument against that is that it's a platformer - immersion isn't the aim.

It's one of the few games that gen that I played all the way through - got all 120 shines. I started playing as Luigi but abandoned it as it seemed excessive. I have still to make a considered assault on MG2. Both magnificent games.

I'm no waggle apologist either but I found MG's use of it restrained and appropriate. It added a kinetic feel to the spin jump - it could have been just another button press but the little flick adds something. And using the pointer to pick up star bits while in flight was something I found compulsive.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's an airy obstacle course with Mario's cheerful toons, yeah. But not the immersive adventure that I was after. I didn't play Fable II because I had no 360, but that was probably more my cup.
  • I think I should probably revisit them in light of Marius 3d world.

My feeling of the galaxies is not dissimilar to escapes in that the planet hopping was quite restrictive. I’m sure there was really good feel throughout, and some parts remain memorable (the Luigi version of the 8bit Mario level). But I’m not convinced it’s galaxy spanning served it’s openness credentials that much and I don’t think the platforming was as good as the later 3d land and 3d world.
  • The Galaxies are theme park rides to M64's sandbox. They're fun and I can say I enjoyed them, but they lack depth. Also, MG2 was the point before that I just felt I'd done it all too many times before. I could appreciate the quality of level design, but the whole concept and its characters had worn thin.
  • Had a quick dabble on Super Metroid last night. 2 hours later...

There are still so few games today, that can match the atmosphere and sense of place.

20 years later and still managed to die on the first boss lol
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    The Galaxies are theme park rides to M64's sandbox. They're fun and I can say I enjoyed them, but they lack depth. Also, MG2 was the point before that I just felt I'd done it all too many times before. I could appreciate the quality of level design, but the whole concept and its characters had worn thin.
    Mario Galaxy certainly delivers the illusion of an open exploring game at first glance but of course it isn't. You see through that very quickly - and that's precisely why I loved it. I still prefer a more or less linear experience.

I have come to believe that apart from 2D shmups, arcade racers and puzzle games, I can only take so much of a genre no matter how good an example of it is published. 

After obsessing over Mario 64 I had no desire to play a 3D platformer for years. Don't know why - I loved M64 - but when I was done with it I had had enough. Wasn't interested in Rare's efforts and I bypassed Sunshine.

By the time Galaxy came around I was ready for another one and I really got into it. I got MG2 before I had got every shine in MG1 thinking I would carry on playing #2 - but I didn't. I played MG2 until I saw what Yoshi was like and then stopped.  I actually prefer MG2's map to MG1's hub world - but - I had had enough. Maybe in another decade.
  • I think you'd have preferred 2 to 1 @davyK
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!