Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • Avatar 2 blew me away with its visuals. So glad I went to see it on a big screen. There's a few jarring frame rate bits here and there but once it gets to the ocean it continuosly amazed me with the effects. The movie itself is another solid James Cameron film. If you enjoyed the first (and I did) I reckon you will also enjoy this it's not brilliant, it's over long and quite basic but I still would rate it as a much better blockbuster than much of the usual.

We also did double duty with Black Panther wakanda forever today. It tries a bit too hard heave things in (iron girl feels so rushed) but it has some genuinely cool moments and I really liked Shuris path in it all. Easily One of the better marvel movies of late.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I saw Avatar 2 on Christmas Eve with Nate and the nephews. Was better that the first one I thought, watched it in 3D too. Nothing unexpected, bit of cheese, but it looked lovely and the boys thought it was great
  • The Greatest Beer Run Ever
    Turns out Zac Efron can act. Who knew? A much better Vietnam movie than I expected from its ‘innocent abroad’ true story premise. Nice stuff, with some quality cameo support from Bill Murray and Russell Crowe.
  • Zac Efron is great in most things to be fair.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 63. John Wick: Chapter 2 - 28/12
    More nonsense action fun.
    [7]

64. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum - 29/12
    Even more nonsense and action fun.
    [7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So in the third one the nonsense & the action fun are distinct things, whereas in the second the action fun itself is nonsense? How intriguing.
  • 86. Uncle Buck
    "Moley Russell's wart" 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • "Buck melanoma" had me in tears watching the other day. Brilliant movie.
  • Tin, if you like horror movies that are About Something you should watch Soft and Quiet. Hits pretty hard but I think it's the best About Something movie of the year.
  • 154. History of the Occult
    Have to love little-ish indies with big ideas. This is a pretty fun horror/thriller thing that really goes for it and largely succeeds. Even though it's quite short I feel like it could have been a bit tighter but you can't get too mad at a film like this.
    [7.5]
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tin, if you like horror movies that are About Something you should watch Soft and Quiet. Hits pretty hard but I think it's the best About Something movie of the year.

What's it about?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tin, if you like horror movies that are About Something you should watch Soft and Quiet. Hits pretty hard but I think it's the best About Something movie of the year.

What's it about?

It's one of those that the less you know, the more it hits. It is graphic, however, not in gore but brutality in a few scenes.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    100. Tony Takitani
    An adaptation of a Murakami story. Felt and looked like a student film for the most part, and had a terrible score for at least the first half. Very sparse dialogue, lots of static shots but some interesting use of narration. It was only 80 mins but felt like an age, should’ve just read the story. [3]

101. Yesterday
    I can’t even be bothered to tear this down. By pretty much every metric it was shit and Boyle should be embarrassed to have it on his resume. Just so fucking dumb. [2]

Picked a couple of bad ones to end the year on.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Films of 2022 for me

Mirror
    The Turin Horse
    Black Swan
    JoJo Rabbit
    The Lighthouse
    In Bruges
    The Father
    Le Mans '66
    The VVitch
    Sicario
    Banshees of Inisheerin

Shortlist:  In Bruges, Mirror, Sicario....but it's stupid to even draw up such a thing. Ask me tomorrow and will likely list 3 different ones. A very strong year for me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • My Fave New New Film : Everything Everywhere All At Once
    My Fave New Old Film: 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
    My Fave Old Old Film: Signs
    My Fave Film I Hated at First But Loved By the End: Dinner in America
    Other recommended films: Drive My Car, Come True, The Humans, Petit Maman, The Quiet Girl, Soft and Quiet, Banshees of Inisherin
  • Oh I put mine in the 2023 thread. I said:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    2022:
    64 movies watched
    Average score given = 7.02
    Best new new film: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best new old film: Flowers of Shanghai
    Best already seen film: The Godfather
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • signs is underrated. good call shabby.

swing away
    PSN - minkymu
  • I watched Leon / The professional JDM release uncut version again over xmas.

This version focused a little more on Leon and Matildas relationship and made it slightly creepier. I can see why the international version had a few scenes trimmed to make that relationship a bit less nonce. TBF his child like needs for love of someone regardless of age and not physical sexual love make it all ok imo.

Still Besson at his best. great action sequence at tge end and every scene Gary Oldman is in is superb. Proper scenery chewing ham. loved it
    PSN - minkymu
  • So … looking back. My films of the year are Everything Everywhere All At Once, House of Gucci, and Amsterdam.

Top sequel/franchise/nostalgiabait was Prey.

Best piece of light entertainment was Do Revenge.

Worst piece of shit was probably The King’s Man.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    signs is underrated. good call shabby.

swing away

I'd forgotten how good his writing is in his better stuff. He's one of those writers that can add a lot of character and history in not much dialogue.
  • Best new film I watched in 2022: Banshees of Inisherin.

Best old film I hadn't seen that I watched in 2022: Showdown in Little Tokyo is the first thing that springs to mind...

Best old film I rewatched in 2022: cinema trip to see Elf. I might be one of those weird superfans now, it's well and truly displaced Home Alone as my 'must watch every Christmas' film.

Worst piece of shit: Barbarian maybe. Probably not the worst film, but the most annoying as it teased something half decent.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Barbarian was fucking awesome
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Unusual for DS to be wrong about a horror but there ya go.
  • I thought it was OK except for the introduction scene with Justin Long singing in his car.
    That made me wish for death.
  • You can't have an ending that shit without the sour taste overpowering everything else surely.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its just a fun ride. Bait and switch start, some good gross comedy horror madness down the line. Nowt wrong with it.
  • On board with that in theory but it didn't work with this one for me.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    signs is underrated. good call shabby.

swing away

I'd forgotten how good his writing is in his better stuff. He's one of those writers that can add a lot of character and history in not much dialogue.

Good writing? Aliens invade a planet that is 70% water... And they're allergic to water?
    Ok.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    War of the Worlds - Aliens invade a planet where their weakness is our common virus

Independence Day - Aliens invade a planet where Will Smith is a fighter pilot

They all have flaws. Essentially Aliens are shit at research, no matter how many anal probes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Independence Day was the last time I was disappointed by a Hollywood film because I expected trash from that point on.

Signs was a good 'un though. Maybe they were used to a different ph level in their water. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!