• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    She was exec producer, wasn’t she? You would assume she had a legitimate say in distribution …

From the article I read it seems that her pay was based on the box office take, so I understand her position.
  • I don't see it taking off.
  • House of Gucci is looking pretty great.

• Yossarian wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    She was exec producer, wasn’t she? You would assume she had a legitimate say in distribution …

From the article I read it seems that her pay was based on the box office take, so I understand her position.

Yup. And an email from Disney saying if they change it Disney+ the contract will be renegotiated... Which never happened
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Worse than that, she tried to instigate that promised renegotiation and Disney refused to talk.
  • It says a lot about Disney when they can even attempt to fuck over the highest-paid female actor in the industry. Literally saying ‘nobody can stand up to us, not even you’.
  • I thought it was a particularly disgusting touch for Disney to play the Covid card as well.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I suspect they knew this was coming and decided the lawsuit and subsequent settlement was better than Johansson potentially blocking the D+ release.
  • Yup. I know I know she doesn't need the money etc but it's the principle to me. If they're willing to fuck over someone who is such a major star and has the money to go to court, how badly are they screwing everyone else?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Whatever about their content, Disney is a shitty company to work for. I did a lot of work for them here and I saw how they treated their employees.
  • They are very American about things. Not an excuse of course.
  • I saw The Sparks Brothers last night.

As most of you probably know it's Edgar Wright's much anticipated documentary about Sparks.

It's a pretty magnificent love letter to the band. What it isn't is a revealing expose of who the Mael brothers really are. After seeing the film I know almost as little about them as I did going in. Which is probably as it should be, really.

What the film does incredibly well is to make the case for Sparks as both an important part of collective musical history, and as an almost unassailable example of the power of sticking to your art irrespective of what everyone else might say.

Mainly though it's Edgar Wright convincingly going "I Fucking Love Sparks Me And So Should You" for two and a half hours.  Every single one of their 25 albums is discussed, as well as various side projects.  Every now and again Someone Very Famous pops up to tell you that they love Sparks too, but really all Wright needed to do was point the camera and Ron and Russell.

The bits featuring the brothers themselves are easily the highlight. They are clearly humble passionate artists, and very funny to boot. Every time someone popped up to tell us one anecdote or another I found myself hoping we'd cut back to Ron and Russell soon, and to Wright's credit, the film usually did.

There are little hints of tragedy - the realisation that much of the band's power comes from Ron writing songs about his misfit status and putting them in the mouth of his prettier, more popular brother.  (The irony being that Ron is clearly awesome, and doesn't know it.) The period in which the band sat writing songs for literally nobody. But mostly, it's a gleeful thing, and left me wanting to listen to all 25 albums right now.

The film's a little too long perhaps - a victim of that insistence on treating every album with equal (ish) love - but it's certainly effective.

So, yeah, tl;dr - I Fucking Love Sparks Me, and So Should You.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I only heard of Sparks for the first time about 2 years ago. I only know one song. I'll still watch the film, though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I saw them supporting Blur at Mile End at the first big concert I attended when I was, I dunno, 14? 15? Something like that. I definitely did not get them back then, but I’ll be willing to give the doco a go, my tastes have matured since then, perhaps I’ll be convinced.
  • They were pretty damn big in Blighty in the mid-seventies. Big run of hits, and a great many TotP appearances.
    I guess my awareness of them would have started with this banger...

Come with g if you want to live...
  • Great write-up, Tin. I really enjoyed it and had no knowledge of the band whatsoever. Seeing how influential they are I was a bit confused about how I'd barely heard of them. But then they mentioned that wilderness period of around 8 years or so when they practically disappeared and I realised that period pretty much coincided with me first getting into music and watching Top of the Pops etc. It's a lovely doc.
  • What would people say is the best film where an actor depicts an actual real life musician?  I quite enjoyed Val kilmer as Jim Morrison from the doors. I suppose Joaquin phoenix as Johnny cash in walk the line the most watchable film.

Keep on meaning to properly watch that one where smeagol plays the guy from hit me with your rhythm stick.  Did Sacha baron Cohen ever get round to playing Freddie Mercury?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (the Ian Dury one with Serkis) is pretty good yeah. 
    Well worth a watch.
  • The Boyle Sex Pistols series looks intriguing.

Currently Lydon is trying to block the Pistols' music being used in it but I suspect he won't get very far.
  • I'm biased because the artist is in my top tier, but the Blaze Foley film is a decent watch, for fans of Townes Van Zandt also.
  • He doesn't have a leg to stand on from what I've heard.
  • Nope. 
    Seems like the other members (inc Rotten's estate) have been pandering to him for years but have put their foot down on this one and he doesn't like it.
  • Lydon is a fucking head case at the best of times tbh.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Gary Oldham as Sid Vicious is an incredibly good likeness. I forget the name of the film.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sid & Nancy.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That rap guy Andre whatever did a really good job of playing Hendrix in the biopic. Unfortunately, the film is the absolute worst film I've ever seen.
  • Aye, nobody wanted to see a film with Hendrix played by Peter Andre.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!