Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Rewatched the Jackass films in prep for the new ones. The gross out stuff is still awful but there's some absolute fucking gold in there.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think about the Jackass movies every time I pass through Mudchute on the DLR.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I saw The Sparks Brothers last night.

As most of you probably know it's Edgar Wright's much anticipated documentary about Sparks.

It's a pretty magnificent love letter to the band. What it isn't is a revealing expose of who the Mael brothers really are. After seeing the film I know almost as little about them as I did going in. Which is probably as it should be, really.

What the film does incredibly well is to make the case for Sparks as both an important part of collective musical history, and as an almost unassailable example of the power of sticking to your art irrespective of what everyone else might say.

Mainly though it's Edgar Wright convincingly going "I Fucking Love Sparks Me And So Should You" for two and a half hours.  Every single one of their 25 albums is discussed, as well as various side projects.  Every now and again Someone Very Famous pops up to tell you that they love Sparks too, but really all Wright needed to do was point the camera and Ron and Russell.

The bits featuring the brothers themselves are easily the highlight. They are clearly humble passionate artists, and very funny to boot. Every time someone popped up to tell us one anecdote or another I found myself hoping we'd cut back to Ron and Russell soon, and to Wright's credit, the film usually did.

There are little hints of tragedy - the realisation that much of the band's power comes from Ron writing songs about his misfit status and putting them in the mouth of his prettier, more popular brother.  (The irony being that Ron is clearly awesome, and doesn't know it.) The period in which the band sat writing songs for literally nobody. But mostly, it's a gleeful thing, and left me wanting to listen to all 25 albums right now.

The film's a little too long perhaps - a victim of that insistence on treating every album with equal (ish) love - but it's certainly effective.

So, yeah, tl;dr - I Fucking Love Sparks Me, and So Should You.

Had no idea this was a thing. I fucking love Sparks, they remain one of the greatest bands I've ever seen live. Saw them at the short lived but completely awesome Connect Festival in Inverary in 2008 in a packed tent. As the band was setting up the stage, they had the usual guitar and drum techs testing levels and so on.

Early in the set up, when no one was really paying attention, they brought out a big covered box on wheels and left it on the right hand side of the stage. 30 minutes later, the band came on and started playing their intro music. Russell appeared, the crowd went wild and suddenly the cover of the box was thrown off and Ron sat up like fucking Frankensteins monster, on top of his keyboards, stared into the crowd and slowly stepped down from the box, keeping eye contact with the crowd at all times. The place went absolutely FUCKING bananas and they launched into 'The Number One Song in Heaven'.

Amazing. I'm getting goosebumps just writing this. 30 minutes lying completely still on top of a keyboard! Mental.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • That’s outstanding. Ron’s all about commitment to the bit, isn’t he?

I was at that festival, but didn’t see Sparks. Sounds like I should have! Maybe they were clashing with someone I was more into …
  • poprock wrote:
    That’s outstanding. Ron’s all about commitment to the bit, isn’t he?

I was at that festival, but didn’t see Sparks. Sounds like I should have! Maybe they were clashing with someone I was more into …

To be fair, the line up at Connect was so fucking good that it's likely you were. My other half and my two mates that were with me were elsewhere as well.

Edit: on the same night it was The Breeders, Kasabian and the Manics. Fuck me
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Watched Mother! tonight.  It’s a remarkable piece of filmmaking by Aronofsky, and a stunning performance by Lawrence.  Great film.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Missus wanted to watch Jungle Cruise. Not my bag but seems like a very good example of its genre, even if 95% of it is CGI. Proper 80s style adventure family fun.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Watched Mother! tonight.  It’s a remarkable piece of filming by Aronofsky, and a stunning performance by Lawrence.  Great film.

Close to Black Swan as Aronofsky's best.
  • Mother! Is brilliant, an escalating nightmare.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rewatched the Jackass films in prep for the new ones. The gross out stuff is still awful but there's some absolute fucking gold in there.

I really tried to not like Jackass. But it just makes me laugh. Brainless arseholery of the highest order.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blood Red Sky was utter shite then. Just stick to the trailer
  • Is Sator any good then?  After the disappointment of In the Earth, I'm still on the look out for some jump scares in the woods.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Is Sator any good then?  After the disappointment of In the Earth, I'm still on the look out for some jump scares in the woods.

Watch Sauna, Finnish film from 2008
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Sauna's a fairly enjoyable blend of oppresive genres, but jump scares? I must have missed something.

If you haven't seen it, then The Witch (2015) gets up to some creepy things in the forest.

And although it does not partake of the woods, I just did my yearly viewing of Kiyoshi Kurosawa's early masterwork Cure (1997), and it is as haunting and disturbing as ever.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Blood Red Sky was utter shite then. Just stick to the trailer

This. I couldn't get through it in the end.
  • Watching Fast 9 and just as expected, it's utterly stupid.

I love it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I am a massive fan of Sparks but eurgh Edgar Wright. Shall pass.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    is he cancelled?
  • davyK wrote:
    Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles was top drawer. He didn't sing but who could do Ray Charles?
    Im pretty sure he did all the singing
    PSN - minkymu
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He didn't. He does a few when Charles is beginning his career but most of it isn't him.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    What would people say is the best film where an actor depicts an actual real life musician?  I quite enjoyed Val kilmer as Jim Morrison from the doors. I suppose Joaquin phoenix as Johnny cash in walk the line the most watchable film. Keep on meaning to properly watch that one where smeagol plays the guy from hit me with your rhythm stick.  Did Sacha baron Cohen ever get round to playing Freddie Mercury?
    Amadeus is the one for me. Far enough after he kicked the bucket that they could ignore his actual life and inject some drama.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I loved Amadeus but how can we really know how he was as a person?
  • Time machines
  • Fast 9 was a bit of a let down. Quite an incoherent mess of a plot surrounded by some very ok action set pieces.
    I'm a big big fan of the series but this just lacked a certain something for me
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    is he cancelled?

Ask Cinty
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cinty is he cancelled
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll answer- no he isn't I just think he's an ultimate wank director and that Spaced fucking suuuuucka so I won't watch anything he does because he sucks and cinty disagrees.
  • Is cinty cancelled?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!