Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Finally finished Army of the Dead. And the accompanying RLM vid.
    So I didnt hate Army. It just wasnt great. I dont get why there is talk or it making no sense, it was about as basic as you can get. But there were some/many super stupid bits for sure. I didnt like the shallow DOF, but I really quite liked the colour grading. The music choices were lol. Zombie by the Cranberries? hahahahaha.
    My biggest complaint was the editing. It was fucking some of the worst Ive seen ever. I could see the scene he wanted to have on screen but fuck me the editing made sure that didnt happen. Woeful.

Funny seeing the lifted scenes in the RLM vid. Didnt realise there were so many :D
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I dont get why there is talk or it making no sense
    Literally nothing in the film makes any sense.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I think it's more that nothing is in the film for a reason. So many ideas and potential story threads in there but none of them are utilised properly or seen through to completion. It's a trash fire of a film
  • I think it's more that nothing is in the film for a reason. So many ideas and potential story threads in there but none of them are utilised properly or seen through to completion. It's a trash fire of a film
    Yeah this I agree with.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Bond’s cancelled, no hidden superpowers or magic. Clearly rubbish.

James Bond has regenerated like, 10 times mate.

Ms Onnatop, can you please confirm, for the video, that you agree to fuck.
  • We watched short circuit last night for a family film. Other than the casual racism it still holds up and was enjoyed by all.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Wrath of Man.
    I actually enjoyed this quite a bit.
    It’s Statham on a revenge bent, directed by Guy Ritchie. I won’t spoil anything by telling you about the structure but it subverts the obvious a little bit.
    And has a slight whiff of Winding Refn about it.

Not incredible but one of the better movies released over lockdown.

Sorry I don’t know where you can stream it.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I asked my kids yesterday what they would like to do for the Bank Holiday, and it being the hottest day on record they agreed unanimously that they wanted to go and sit in a dark room and watch A Quiet Place Part 2.  So we did.

Brief aside about going to the cinema in general.  I'm still not wildly comfortable with it.  Odeon advertised that seats would be socially distanced, which they sort of were, in that every row only appeared to have one party on it.  However the people both in the row in front of and behind me were immediately in front of and behind me.  Thus lots of space to the side, but I had a guy coughing over my shoulder for the duration. (sigh)

Anyway - the film.  It's a reasonably good popcorn flick. It's very much more of A Quiet Place, for better and worse.  It mostly takes place immediately after the end of the last one, and there is once again lots of tiptoeing about whilst big old monsters threaten to eat the kids. It once again contains a whole bunch of breathtakingly stupid decisions and plot holes that make literally no sense.  However in contrast to, say, Army of the Dead, the ride is sufficiently good that you're mostly content to push them to one side until the film is over.

In fact, my favourite part of the film was the drive home afterwards, where I had a lively discussion with the kids about what was the most stupid thing in the movie, and whether it was really a film series about how boys are morons. (I should explain that my kids are two teenage girls.) 

As a film, its biggest flaw is that there's nothing in the runtime that comes close to matching the opening 15 minutes - a highly effective flashback to Day 1 of the attack, that left me wanting more of that movie. The finale maybe comes close, but it's so dense in those afore mentioned dumb character decisions that suspense does, finally, give way to outright incredulity.

Still, it's fun, and does pretty much what you expect it to.  Not sure it's worth venturing into a cinema for though, unless you're vaccinated to the hilt.
  • Unless the nail has a larger role this time, not interested.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Does John Krasinski's amazing plan board make a return?
  • JonB wrote:
    Unless the nail has a larger role this time, not interested.

Sadly not - though there continue to be a lot of slightly unnecessary close ups of feet.
    regmcfly wrote:
    Does John Krasinski's amazing plan board make a return?

No, we get Cillian Murphy's Wall of Sketches instead.
  • JonB wrote:
    Unless The Neil has a larger role this time, not interested.

• I've never seen this Jaws poster before. Its absolutely fantastic.

E24x3PmXMAE0D1V?format=jpg&name=large
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Is that og 70s? If so it is insane.
  • Nah, that's a Mondo.
  • I want that on my bathroom wall
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I want this on my bathroom wall

iAl8jtH.png
  • I mean if you need something to make you shit...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I want to seen Cillian Murphy's wall of sketches
  • The top left is yoshi and the giant Mars attacks is Toad

(Spoilers)
  • Ooooh that's a sexy jaws poster
  • That Jaws image would be about 100million times improved without that stupid cloud.  The Mario one is impossible to top and should be the template for all future movie posters.
  • Bloody designers always trying to be ‘clever’. The OG Jaws poster is near-perfect, leave it alone.
  • Go to admit if I fancied a crack at reimagining a movie poster I would probably avoid one as iconic as Jaws, setting ones self up for a fall.

Is it the most iconic poster Jaws? I think it might be.
  • poprock wrote:
    Bloody designers always trying to be ‘clever’. The OG Jaws poster is near-perfect, leave it alone.

Wankers, all of 'em.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Go to admit if I fancied a crack at reimagining a movie poster I would probably avoid one as iconic as Jaws, setting ones self up for a fall. Is it the most iconic poster Jaws? I think it might be.

Damn close. We had a thread that had a temporary burst of classic poster related activity...pretty sure Jaws was amongst them.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • That Jaws image would be about 100million times improved without that stupid cloud. 

You probably won't like this either then.

E285wlFX0AIaYnP?format=jpg&name=large
  • These are clever, but I can't say I like either of them tbh. Each to their own.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Jaws as goblin shark certainly would have been a choice.

goblin-shark-576x270.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!