Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Brosnan is an enigma to me. A household name, maybe due to Bond but really quite shit.

What are the genuinely good Brosnan films then?

Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies are the half way decent Bonds, the rest go in the bin.

Mamma Mia bin.

Thomas Crown, not my jam.

Dante's Peak, only interesting as one of those twin Hollywood movies and Volcano was the good one.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ll reiterate Fourth Protocol, but I think it was more the book, if I recall, than the film. And it was a Caine film mainly. Great 80’s nuclear paranoia though at the time.

But he hasn’t done anything great. I do feel he was the most Bond (in my mind’s eye) and if you compare Goldeneye to what had come before, it was definitely a more “gritty” take on Bond.
  • He was already a big star because of Remington Steele, it's really not aged well though. I'd put him firmly in the Roger Moore category, he was a star, not a great actor. 

I was going to say his choice of role after Bond was particularly bad, but I think his wife died,so he maybe didn't care and just took the money.
  • Er. I'm going to have to admit here that when you guys were talking about Remington Steele I genuinely thought you were talking about razor blades/electric shavers.
    Someone earlier said he couldn't do Bond because of a Remington Steele contract, I thought it was a sponsorship conflict given that some (all?) Of his Bond films were sponsored by some other razor brand.

This is quite the facepalm.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just proves you are a youthful fellow.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Brosnan is an enigma to me. A household name, maybe due to Bond but really quite shit. What are the genuinely good Brosnan films then? Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies are the half way decent Bonds, the rest go in the bin. Mamma Mia bin. Thomas Crown, not my jam. Dante's Peak, only interesting as one of those twin Hollywood movies and Volcano was the good one.

Mars Attacks.
  • I do love Mars Attacks and I like him in it. Likewise Sarah Jessica Horse.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Er. I'm going to have to admit here that when you guys were talking about Remington Steele I genuinely thought you were talking about razor blades/electric shavers. Someone earlier said he couldn't do Bond because of a Remington Steele contract, I thought it was a sponsorship conflict given that some (all?) Of his Bond films were sponsored by some other razor brand. This is quite the facepalm.
    Fabulous stuff.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • LivDiv wrote:

The Matador.

(Brosnan plays an arsehole hitman, who is a kind of Bizarro-World Bond. It’s far from a perfect film, but Brosnan’s great in it.  I feel like it’s the movie Daniel Craig had in mind when he started picking up all those over the top scenery chewing roles in things like Logan Lucky and Knives Out.  Not remotely subtle, but all the more fun for it.)
  • That sounds appealing Tin.
    I will add it to the list.
  • Look, I think we can all agree this was Brosnan's finest moment:

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Brosnan played a good smarmy arsehole in Mrs Doubtfire (pre Bond)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Forgot about Doubtfire... good call Mike.

Think I need to watch Taffin.
  • Doubtfire is a great shout but I'm not sure he adds too much. I guess accepting you are second fiddle/straight man shows professionalism.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    His comedic timing is spot on.
  • BTW there are now campaigns to release the R rated cut of Doubtfire. Supposedly Williams went in on the improv and there is gold in them there archives.
  • No one actually wants that. A gag reel would suffice.
  • 4 hours or nothing!
  • Look up Brosnan’s art sometime. His paintings.
  • Could get some NFT for that if he knew how to use a computer.
  • poprock wrote:
    Look up Brosnan’s art sometime. His paintings.
    Well...it's...um...colourful.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Brosnan is an enigma to me. A household name, maybe due to Bond but really quite shit. What are the genuinely good Brosnan films then? Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies are the half way decent Bonds, the rest go in the bin. Mamma Mia bin. Thomas Crown, not my jam. Dante's Peak, only interesting as one of those twin Hollywood movies and Volcano was the good one.

Woah woah woah now! I watched both of those recently and Dante's Peak is easily the much better one. Volcano is quite boring and the effects have dated quite poorly, I'd forgotten how small scale it feels. Dante's Peak has fun Hollywood characters, snappy pacing, and the miniature work and effects still really hold up. Seriously, it's still good fun.
  • Kow wrote:
    I made the mistake of just reading about serial killer Albert Fish and I felt almost ill for days.

Should not have Googled this. Ugh.
  • tin_robot wrote:

The Matador.

(Brosnan plays an arsehole hitman, who is a kind of Bizarro-World Bond. It’s far from a perfect film, but Brosnan’s great in it.  I feel like it’s the movie Daniel Craig had in mind when he started picking up all those over the top scenery chewing roles in things like Logan Lucky and Knives Out.  Not remotely subtle, but all the more fun for it.)

I was going to post this, enjoyed it. Seraphim Falls is great too (ignore the Tomatometer).

Also, where we're you lot when I needed the point on The Times Daily Quiz recently, there was Remington Steele contract Bond question - which actor was prevented from being Bond in the 1980s etc (I put Lewis Collins ffs, and also assumed it was a shaving product).
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    There's an age factor. Probably 30 years ago I would have been morbidly curious but now it would most likely upset me. I made the mistake of just reading about serial killer Albert Fish and I felt almost ill for days.

I was told a story from an undercover cop about his work with a known peado. They were planning to abduct a child and he told us what he was planning to do. I won't burden you with the horrifying details but suffice to say, the fact that the knowledge that a human being exists that wanted to behave this way to another human, let alone a child, is etched in my memory and has eroded some of my faith in humanity.

Thankfully they managed to get enough evidence of intent (as opposed to just "fantastical thinking") to put him away for a long long time.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's kind of the Albert Fish thing. He not only brutally murdered kids but he wrote detailed letters to the families explaining exactly what he had done. Unfortunately you can still read these letters. I can feel some kind of shudder of delirium knowing that these type of people exist.
  • Going back to Brosnan … I don’t think anyone’s mentioned his terrible Oirish accent in The Foreigner, where he plays a cipher for Gerry Adams and gets beaten by Jackie Chan.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Just goes to show even Irish people can't do proper Irish accents.
  • It’s an embarrassing one, for sure. Sounds like he’s trying to do an exaggerated caricature accent for the American audience.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!