Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Our little friend deserves his own thread...

Particularly given the beauty that is

It's superb.  I've been working my way through World 1, and is has a great balance of easy to finish but actually pretty hard to find everything.  A nice one to take it easy through on a Sunday evening.  It deserves more love - so come give it.

Might as well make this a home for the earlier ones too.  I have Yoshi's New Island unstarted, may give that a whirl at some point, but Wooly World has my attention for the time being...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    In yoshi has anyone tried level 1-S? What a beast.

Yes, just now.  Finished it, but not got all the stuff along the way (despite a good couple of goes!).

Question: does gold-starring the levels unlock stuff?  Or just flowers for the x-S levels, and yarn for the yoshis?  On OG you had to get everything on all levels, including S, to get an S2 in each world or something, didn't you?  Same here??
  • Really like the look of that. 

May pick it up tomorrow.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've probably spent two hours 100%ing world one.  It's been a joy.  And that's the easy levels.  A lot of fun for your £30.
  • I carelessly drowned or dropped the thing into myriad chasms while playing SMW - just to get a bit more air on my jumps. 

My bad for murdering so many Yoshi. My bad.
  • I hear the Yoshi platform games never hit the heights of the amazing Yoshi's Island. Woolly World is the first one I'm playing and it's good. Does Touch & Go count? In my mind it doesn't as it isn't a proper platformer, but I enjoyed that.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm not sure about unlocks.

I've starred every level in world 1(not flower finishes but the game doesn't seem to care about those I think - there's no indication that it distinguishes between flowered levels and non flowered levels)

Clarification: you can star a level by collecting the four things: hearts, flowers, wonder wool and stamps. Apart from hearts you can collect all of the others across multiple plays of a level. So if you missed the middle of five flowers the you only have to collect that middle one in a later play of the level to have that as complete.

You get a flower on the end of level black board (only on the non boss levels - which is why I don't think it matters) when you hundred percent the four things in one run. But afterwards the game forgets.

Not sure what unlocks s levels. But I got world 1 on beating level 6 or 7 (not eight tho') 100 percent (but not all flowered).

In og yi did it have the second special levels? I thought they added them to gba. One set of levels was for beating the game and the other was for points I think.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    S definitely unlocks once you get all the flowers (not necessarily a "flowered finish" as you put it, just got them all at least once).  It tells you a score out of 40 as your progress (8 levels, 5 flowers per level).

Not sure about what there is (if anything) beyond that.
  • You get a flower on the end of level black board (only on the non boss levels - which is why I don't think it matters) when you hundred percent the four things in one run. But afterwards the game forgets.

You sure that's right?! I thought I got a flower after getting everything on 2 runs.
  • Btw world two starts off so well, first two are a delightf.
  • World 2 is amazing, they really aren't holding back on the yarn aesthetic, and it's delightful because of it. The level with the big fire guy is amazing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The flower-> bonus level thing is lucky dip when you finish a level. There's like a roulette wheel going round the end circle. The number of flowers in it = number you picked up that go through, so more collected = more chance of getting a flower / bonus level.

Not sure about the 100% on one go thing.
  • I find each level just improves as you go along. Each world is so charmingly adorable you think it can't possibly be bettered and them you go on to the next one. Fluff and Feathers has been a favourite so far, I liked the change of pace. The attention to detail in each one is lovely.
  • Best looking game this year.
  • Yeah I'd take Felt Batman over Arkham City tbh
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    The flower-> bonus level thing is lucky dip when you finish a level. There's like a roulette wheel going round the end circle. The number of flowers in it = number you picked up that go through, so more collected = more chance of getting a flower / bonus level. Not sure about the 100% on one go thing.

That's the scheme the original Yoshi's Island used. To unlock the world's secret level in that game you had to find all the collectables (flowers and red coins in the original) AND have a full Baby Mario countdown. This game looks and sounds like a return to the 1st game's glory with elements of the N64 sequel and the impossibly cute Kirby's Epic Yarn thrown in.

I liked the N64 followup which was easier and was more of a score attack game - but I'm in the minority on that opinion  - the 1st game was a pretty hard act to follow.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The DS and 3DS Yoshi's Island games are the same. The N64 game is the odd one out with the Yoshi platformers.

The SNES one is so fucking good, I find it frustrating that Nintendo have kept outsourcing the series, Artoon and Arzest handled the handheld games and Good-Feel have done this Woolly World one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's so good and it just gets better. Been playing it since beginning of June.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Artoon can fuck off. I don't think they've made anything but shite.

But good feel have done a really good job here (caveat only on world 2)
  • davyK wrote:
    That's the scheme the original Yoshi's Island used. To unlock the world's secret level in that game you had to find all the collectables (flowers and red coins in the original) AND have a full Baby Mario countdown.
    As someone said, the GBA version added a second unlockable level at the end of each world. Real bastards they were too. I'm not sure how you accessed them - maybe you had to get 100 on the 1st bonus stage.

I've never got max scores on all the levels on YI, only up to about world 4 I think. It's probably the hardest Mario game to do 100%.
  • Me neither. Well 'ard.
  • I wish they'd make a vc port of the proper one b
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Think I 100%-ed YI on SNES to about World 3 or thereabouts - must check. I went back and did some 100%-ing the last time the retro club covered the game.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I 100%-ed it on SNES. Better than SMW imo, which only adds to my frustration that Nintendo seem to treat it as a mere spin off instead of giving it the attention it deserves.

Its probably is the hardest Mario to 100% as it requires you not to get hit and finish with 30/30 stars which essentially act as the energy bar in the game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just looking at my save file on the GBA. All 100s for the main levels on the first 3 worlds, and most of world 4. Not many on the secret levels though, and only a few on worlds 5 and 6.
  • Badly wanna play the original. Best way to do so? GBA version good to play???
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    GBA was top for me but I think has audio issues
  • Not too fussed with some slight audio issues if that is all there is. Should look mint on the micro, right?!

Don't wanna be spending though dammit, I'm getting rid at the moment, not the other way round. But the pull to replay one of the all time greats is so much.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    YI had loads of atmos too, loved the muddy jungle levels with the monkeys.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • regmcfly wrote:
    GBA was top for me but I think has audio issues
    And the colours are pale
    And touch fuzzy is somewhat ruined.

It's not bad at all. But the vibrancy of snes is something I want to see on a big screen.
  • Yeah go for SNES over GBA if you have the choice.

@hylian_elf sell that GCN component lead you mentioned in the retro thread and pick up the SNES version of YI.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!