SMITE - Xbox One Beta
‹ Previous12345
  • 33eq42e.png

Beta codes have started to go out so seems like a good time to start this.  Can register for the beta here: http://www.hirezstudios.com/smite/xbox

Smite is basically a free to play MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena) game similar to DOTA or League of Legends.  What makes Smite unique in the genre is that its played from a third person perspective which means that it translates really well to playing on a controller.  Other key features are a high emphasis on team work, 60+ characters all with unique skills and abilities and a variety of different game modes.

Beginner Game/Meta Guides

Smite Newcomer Guide - Gives you basic a overview of the classes, roles and objectives in Conquest.
    New Players Basics Of Conquest - Video explaining the basics of the conquest game mode
    Conquest 101 - Starting Positions and Openings - Shows the starts/openings for each role
    Beginner God List - Video listing easy to learn gods by DukeSloth
    Beginner Xbox God List - Similar video but focusing on Gods that are easy to play with a controller
    Beginner Guide to Farming - Explains how farming, gold and exp work in Smite, for Season 1 but majority of the info still applies
    Guide to Warding - Shows common places to ward

Advanced Game/Meta Guides
    Word of Thoth - Explains various mechanics of Smite (very detailed)
    Smite Counter building - Guide on Counter building

Builds & God Guides
    Tiermonster Guides and Builds - Most up to date guides and builds for gods
    Smitefire Guides and Builds - Not all guides are currently up to date
    Grappul Build - These builds are based on the most common items people get, they are not optimal
    SmiteStuff Builds - Made from the data of ranked players and amalgamated together to give a better view than Grappul
    Smite.Guru Builds - Also similar to Grappul but does include some Tournament builds

Useful Youtube Channels
    Smite's Watch & Learn
    Incontinentia's Guides
    Weak3n's Guides
    Hinduman's Learn by Watching
    FG3000's Youtube
    GloriousSmite's Youtube
    LostScarf's Youtube
    Drybear's Youtube
    SamDaDude's Youtube
    Krett's Youtube
  • Does it work with the PC version?
  • Not as far as I know, not yet anyway, It really is superb though. Haven't played LOL or DOTA but this has been great fun so far - can certainly see fightman aspects to it.

Freya is my favourite character so far but I want to give the Chinese archer of legend another crack. Also, fuck Thor.
  • I have registered. Should you expect a code quite briskly or not at all if you don't hear soon enough?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Registered. That Neverwinter FTP game hits tomorrow too. No idea if thats any good.
  • I bet some people will jump from PC to Xbox and utterly shark it to get over BM sessions on PC.

Best tip: get reading guides on your heroes, the recommended builds are nearly always utterly average.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Registered too.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Best tip: get reading guides on your heroes, the recommended builds are nearly always utterly average.

I think Smite does a good enough job of making this not necessary and its requirements like this that generally put people off the genre. Yeah sure if you want to play in the most efficient way and pretend to be a pro then you’re going to need to read a guide. But I think the autobuy feature generally does a good enough job of giving you a semi-competitive build so you can focus on learning the mechanics and just having fun in some of the more casual modes. Then once you’ve got the basics down you can start experimenting with the item builds.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Thank god for that. I don't want to have to read a pile of paperwork just to stand a fighting chance. Fair enough if you want to get really good at it, but not otherwise.
  • It's rarely a pile of paperwork, just a list of times to buy and a smart order to skill up. It's not necessary but as a quick example the autobuy guide for Athena leaves her as tough as wet tissue paper, wheras the top rated guide on smitefire when I was using her had the option to make her an immovable pillar of stone or a slightly frailer bruiser that hit like a truck.

Entirely depends on the crowd you're playing with, but if the opposition have a better understanding of the item builds than you, matches will be pretty rough. Searching 'heroname smite build' on yr phone and following a different build guide takes like, seconds, and usually has info in the blurb/comments that does a good job of explaining why the choices work.
  • Obviously some auto guides are better than others, but I still find using other guides is a better way of learning how items work than experimentation as the latter is full of matchup variables and just takes longer.
  • Templeton knows.

Its fine to say you don't like reading up on strats or builds for moba type games because ain't nobody got time for that, but if you're an ain't nobody got time for that person, then you need to be prepared for a rough time online because a lot of players do have time for that, and their that will shrekt your that and leave you feeling all BabyRage NEVER LUCKY BabyRage.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Luckily smite isn't too brutal, and characters don't roll too hard, and surrender is an option.

...He says, having stopped playing after being sick of the way the new patch made Osiris and the Bee God so OP that they appeared in 50% of matches and cent on to solo the game.
  • Its a pretty different experience on xbox at the moment. Yeah you'll run into the occassional team full of PC vets but more often than not people are pretty inexperienced. This is why its such a good time to get into the game as there are a lot of people in similar positions and in this context reading up on item builds is pretty low down on the hierarchy of things to know.

Tiger got like 15 kills in a game yesterday after only a few hours of playing the game...
  • I just signed up then remembered I dont have an XBone. Fucking hell
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Registered. That Neverwinter FTP game hits tomorrow too. No idea if thats any good.

It's good. Better than most F2P models. Anyway, back on topic - is there an ETA for Smite?
  • Nexx wrote:
    Tiger got like 15 kills in a game yesterday after only a few hours of playing the game...
    Yes... but I am slicker than the average. A veritable MONSTER.

Re: builds. Yes, you're going to be at a disadvantage to those who know their shit. But there are enough people playing who don't and it's a great time to jump in without any of that learning. It's simply not needed at this point and shouldn't put people off jumping in.

Give it time, and yeah, you'll need to optimise if you want to roll with the higher tier. But we'll all be fucking godlike by that point.
  • Anyone on tonight?

Anyone else even in the beta yet? I'll pop up my key if/when I get one.
  • Although the level of play might be different, suggesting that you just don't need to learn at all is a bit glib.

Use the time to look at builds, git gud and SMITE yr foes
  • Typed something fairly long, but it didn't seem worth posting.

Basically, huge distinction between jumping in to try something early doors and learning strats to get competent. I don't think you need to read anything before jumping in as long as you're playing with someone who can talk you through the basics. Builds and kit and synergy are obviously very important, but don't feel you have to do that stuff straight away. Auto-selection will do a job for your first few games.

Medusa is being added today. Also, Lady Tiger has just invited someone round to play Catan. Boo-urns, I wanted to play this all night. Will still get on at some point.
  • You don't need to read anything before jumping on, no, I didn't say you did. All I did was say that my best tip for Smite was to look at a handful of guides for your characters because they will give you better advice than the generic builds. It's not a requirement at all, but there's years of groundwork laid by others, so I think it's worth using it instead of not.

Also I thought that:
    Tempy wrote:
    Entirely depends on the crowd you're playing with, but if the opposition have a better understanding of the item builds than you, matches will be pretty rough.

Covered what you just said. Not trying to dictate anything. Wasn't expecting resilience to just trying to give some advice tbh *shrug*
  • WELL WHO WERE YOU CALLING GLIB THEN?
  • Well I either misread yr post or it got edited (probably the former) cos I thought you'd said you just flat out didn't need to bother learning anything or utilising the info out there but reading it back now it doesn't say that so another *shrug* from me.

Also my initial response was to Oli, to not put him off the idea of guides, which aren't mental tomes but just handy resources to have that in my opinion do a better job than the generic ones. Unless they've changed it, the Athena one was really bad for example. 1.8k health vs the 3k you can easily give her! That extra health makes Taunt super useful, rather than a death wish.

Shame it's not cross play w/PC. Godspeed (lol) on yr beta trials!
  • But you need to build Athena for damage to get kills which is all that matters tbh.

Tiger let me know if you get time to play tonight and I'll jump on.  Also, fwiw Knight has a code too but he's f'd off somewhere.
  • I'll post on here when I'm coming on. Having a single game now. Will probably be on from 9-9:30?
  • Nexx wrote:
    But you need to build Athena for damage to get kills which is all that matters tbh.

I usually played her dual as a tanky CC absorber, score for her looked like 2/3/28 usually.
  • Oh, wait... no I'm not. Not fully downloaded.

But, yeah, crossplay would be good. Seems like they've gone full eSports on this.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I've signed up for a key. I'm terrible at Dotes though so, yeah.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Lies, you were good, DOTA is just mental hard
  • 9ish works for me Tiger.

I have a feeling that they're sending out codes in the order that people signed up as I signed up quite close to when they opened the registration.  Anyway, Gandhi has been giving away a lot of codes (like hundreds) on his twitter and twitch: https://twitter.com/scottgandhi
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!