Now eating/drinking
  • Handsome-looking chrimburger from Honest:

B4AkxSACMAAUVWz.jpg
  • A three minute stalk away from established Glasgow based burger eateries is a crossroad that is set to become the centre locale for some shite burger based Triad film. They're opening a Hand Made Burger Company, a Gourmet Burger Kitchen, and a Five Guys, all practically next door to each other.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I got my crate again this week, today was the last meal out of it, and it was the best as well. A vegetarian dish, and I'm gonna share. Don't think it will be very expensive if you buy the ingredients, so it might be something for the students! 

Kohlrabi - leek tortilla (recipe is for 4 people, I halved it for Bas and me, and we had about a third left) 
    -2 kohlrabis's (600 - 700 gram) 
    -1 large potato 
    -2 think leeks 
    -10 eggs 
    -150 grams of grated cheese 
    -lollo rosso 
    -1 clove of garlic 
    -salt and pepper 
    -olive oil 
    -curry powder 
    -1tbsp balsamic vinegar 
    -2 tsp apple syrup, sugar or honey
    -mustard
    -Preheat oven to 180 degrees and put a large pot with water and salt and cook the water.
    -Peel the kohlrabi, cut in half and then again, and then into slices half a centimeter, so pretty thin. Do the same with the potato. Mince a clove of garlic. Cut the leek into thin rings and
    wash clean.
    -When the water boils, add the potatoes and blanch from boiling weather, for 6-7 minutes, until the potatoes are nicely al dente. Drain and set aside until needed.
    -Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan or wok and fry the garlic in it lightly. add kohlrabi and stir equally well. Put a lid on the pan and cook gently for about 10 minutes simmer until the kohlrabi is al dente
    -Remove the lid of the pan with kohlrabi and turn the heat back high. Fry the kohlrabi until he begins to brown. Add the leeks, turn the heat back slightly, and cook until the leeks are soft, in about 8 minutes. Check whether the kohlrabi is soft enough (to taste), then turn the heat off
    -Meanwhile put 10 eggs in a bowl with the grated cheese, 1 teaspoon curry and considerably salt and pepper. Knock loose.
    -Grease a large baking dish with a little oil
    -Place the potato slices at the bottom of the baking dish, place the kohlrabi leek mixture on top of it and pour then the egg mixture over it.
    -Slide in the oven, after 10-15 minutes, the egg needs to be solidified and the tortilla nicely browned. If it is too going slowly (every oven is different) you turn the oven higher after 10 minutes.
    -Meanwhile, make the dressing: 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons apple (or if you do not have that, a small spoonful of sugar or honey), 1 teaspoon mustard, salt and pepper. Tip: An empty jam jar with lid makes it easy to make salad dressing!
    -Wash lettuce leaves and flavor to the dressing.
    -Serve tortilla with lettuce.
    Salad wasn't that great, but it's more or less a direct google translate translation, so I kept it in. Think a tomato salad works better, but I enjoyed this tortilla quite a bit.
  • Never heard of kohlrabi before.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Wikipedia says it can be called a german turnip or turnip cabbage as well.

I like it, but didn't bake it as long as the recipe suggests. The one that does the recipes seems to like mushy and slightly-cooked-too-long vegetables.
  • n0face wrote:
    Never heard of kohlrabi before.

They sell them in Morrisons, so I'm sure some of the other supermarkets sell them too. They're quite nice.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Khol Rhabi is excellent, you can make 'slaw in it's natural form with it but I prefer to make oven chips from it.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    KFC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Can't sleep so I am eating christmas presents. I buy good chocolate.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Me too, derr.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Just had bacon sandwiches. Tasty.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    McDonalds breakfast. I feel dirty.
  • No, but that would work in a very similar way. The way I cooked the cheek was just to sear it on all sides, then add it at the point you go in with your stock, coffee and other liquids. Dat collagen breaking down provides a truly luxurious sheen to the thing, sure oxtail would do similar.

Got super nervous around the 6 hour mark when the cheek refused to alter its structural integrity, but at 7 hours it gave, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

With 500g beef mince, one chorizo stick, and the cheek (all from Ginger Pig, this was not a cheap chilli!) we fed 5 adults easily, and have enough in the freezer for Nicki and I to enjoy a plateful each at some stage soon. Cannae wait for that.

Ooh, I'm at the Ginger Pig right now, might pick up a cheek while in here.
  • Makes an absolutely stupendous chilli. We had quite a bit left to freeze, I chipped off a chunk and used it to make some beans at the weekend.

-  caramalise onions for as long as you can
    -  mix in garlic powder, celery salt, smoked paprika and cumin
    -  grate in ginger and fresh garlic
    - deglaze with good dark beer
    - pour tin 'o' heinz beans in
    - mix in defrosted chilli portion
    - heat though

now that's beans. Serve with sausages oven baked that have been smothered in mustard in honey.
  • Was gonna make a daube Nicoise tomorrow, might make a chilli instead now.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Gonna go Tesco and buy summat for lunch dunno wtf though. EXCITE!
  • adored wrote:
    Was gonna make a daube Nicoise tomorrow, might make a chilli instead now.

Was it the London Bridge one? Get the cheek?
  • Aye, Borough Market, gonna try and call in on my way home, maybe treat myself to a scotch egg or two as well.
  • My yards! Mate, make sure you go into Utobeer in the market too. If you can only take two beers from there I recommend

This if you like sour/lambic/Belgium/complex

This if you like toothpick chewin' smashmouth USA hops

Edit: That Duchess especially. Seriously one of the greatest drinks I've tried. The layers of flavour you get out of it are mental.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Gonna go Tesco and buy summat for lunch dunno wtf though. EXCITE!

Cheese and motherfucking ham sub, peperami, McCoys S&V and a Kit-Kat. Best day.
  • Pimp that sarn with the meatstick 'n' crisps you know it makes sense.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've bunged extra cheese on and microwaved it, lush as.
  • My yards! Mate, make sure you go into Utobeer in the market too. If you can only take two beers from there I recommend

This if you like sour/lambic/Belgium/complex

This if you like toothpick chewin' smashmouth USA hops

Edit: That Duchess especially. Seriously one of the greatest drinks I've tried. The layers of flavour you get out of it are mental.

Hmm, not sure I've come across the Duchess before, hopefully I'll have time to nip back to the market before I get the tube back to Kings Cross.
  • Cosby wrote:
    McDonalds breakfast. I feel dirty.

Don't feel like that - McDonald's breakfast gets eaten by me occasionally - sausage mcmuffins with a crappy coffee... bliss.

For dinner I had hotpot with some of the missus' workmates. I tried pig brains...fucking lush!
  • Same here. It's the best thing on the Maccy menu, all know this.
  • My yards! Mate, make sure you go into Utobeer in the market too.

Managed to grab a few bottles of Duchess from Utobeer, was a bit of a queue at Ginger Of so I had to give the cheek a miss - just as well, only just made it back to Kings Cross, that queue would've been enough to delay me by an hour (I refuse to get the train on the half hour, bloody commuters).
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've had some cured pork in recent weeks. But I've not had any bacon for ages.
  • adored wrote:
    My yards! Mate, make sure you go into Utobeer in the market too. Edit: That Duchess especially. Seriously one of the greatest drinks I've tried. The layers of flavour you get out of it are mental.
    Managed to grab a few bottles of Duchess from Utobeer, was a bit of a queue at Ginger Of so I had to give the cheek a miss - just as well, only just made it back to Kings Cross, that queue would've been enough to delay me by an hour (I refuse to get the train on the half hour, bloody commuters).

Fucking sweet mate, really hope you enjoy.

It goes through flavours that include: cherry (it contains no cherry), toffee, caramel and apple juice/apple cider vinegar. One of the few things this year that hit my palette and made my eyes dilate in wonderful surprise. When you're as jaded as I am that's quite something.
  • The missus is more a fan of the lambics than I, but hopefully it'll hit that sweet (and sour) spot.

Will report back later (as I neglected to bring a bottle opener with me).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!