Time for gaming?
‹ Previous12
  • Me and a few others were discussing how much we actually spend time gaming in the Next Gen thread earlier.  I'll just copy & paste:

I actually worked out how much I actually play this morning whilst baby was watching Peppa Pig.

I play for around 2 hours on a Thursday afternoon when I get house to myself.

Every Friday night for around 2 hours.

Sometimes a Saturday if it's pissing down with rain, for about 2-3 hours.

So an average of 4 hours per week, 7 max.  I'm defo a casual gamer these days.  God knows why I actually bought a PS4 - I don't really use it as much as I should but it was the same with the 360.

I realise how little I game these days when I read posts on here - I remember when GTA V came out, I was still playing single player when most had already done & dusted the campaign.

I guess I'm more of a Netflix addict these days - seem to have fallen out of love with gaming.

What about you guys?  So do you game as much as when you were a kid?  Maybe you do it even more now?

I was addicted to it when I was a nipper.  Now games are incredible compared to then and I'm not bothered.
  • Almost nothing.
  • Games are for when life offers nothing better to do; the less I'm gaming, the better my life's going. I'd still rather game than watch stuff, though.

This week I've played about 40 hours of Civ 5.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    On average I would say an hour a day - but the emphasis is on average - I would do none for a few days in a typical week and then play for maybe a couple of hours on others. If the kids want to play then a session will last longer on the Wii than me torturing myself trying to 1CC Mushi Futari or Layer Section.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I game at night for an hour when me and the wife watch a bit of telly. So civ on the laptop or something on the DS usually.
    Maybe some off TV play on the WiiU. Maybe.
  • Pretty much all I do these days is on my iPhone, or my Vita/3DS when the kids have gone to bed.

Mrs Prime encourages me to go to my games room (probably as much to get rid of me, than to play!), but it's often past 9 o'clock and I can't be bothered.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Almost nothing.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • So I'm not alone then.

We're all still very interested in the industry though, I take it?  I mean, we wouldn't keep coming back here otherwise.

AJ summed it up well above.  I suppose when I'm busy, I have no time for it.  And busy is good, usually - unless it's busy with a screaming child!
  • Through the winter I play more but summers coming and I'd rather sit in the garden. That said I've still managed to play 25ish hours of DSII but I'm sure most of that is me sitting by bonfires sing other things.
  • I actually game quite a lot these days, possibly due to my newfound interest in game design. It started a couple of months ago when I was pointed towards Game Maker and RPG Maker, and a friend introduced me to a fair few simple games, in an attempt to help me see how games can be made.
  • AJ wrote:
    the less I'm gaming, the better my life's going.
    AJ wrote:
    This week I've played about 40 hours of Civ 5.

Sorry to hear that.

I probably sink 10-20 hours a week on average on games, unless it's something that I've been waiting for has dropped and then I'll pretty much play it as much as I can and give moderation the finger.

No dependents though, so I pretty much just do whatever whenever I feel like it anyway.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Also, I have no interest in the industry apart from the end product. I don't like seeing through the curtain and prefer to believe it's all magic.
  • Roujin wrote:
    No dependents though, so I pretty much just do whatever whenever I feel like it anyway.
    I think that about hits the nail on the head. Most who have kids will obviously have much less time on their hands, whereas the folk without will be able to play as much as they want - work (whether it's a job, uni or whatever) permitting.
  • Funnily when my kids were little I played loads more then I had for ages because I was in the house with a sleeping baby most evenings rather then being out and about, now I don't play as much just because it doesn't grab me like it used too. A good game is still enjoyed but I just don't feel like devouring everything going any more.
  • On a normal weekday (when I'm not off work for over a week to play Dark Souls!), I try and squeeze in about an hour.

Weekends varies. A lot. Sometimes it's none all weekends, sometimes it's all weekend, ie around maybe 5 hours a day.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    Also, I have no interest in the industry apart from the end product. I don't like seeing through the curtain and prefer to believe it's all magic.
    But it is all magic.  Molyneux is a kindly wizard, and Cliffy B is an enchanted fuckwit.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The magic only existed for me with arcade games. A whole cabinet filled with sorcery. Seeing now how modest they are is sad.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I play 2 hours a day Monday to Friday and probably 2 hours on the weekend.

All of those hours are on my commute to work or travelling to and from places. I haven't touched a console in about 8 months. 

Iphone gaming or my 3DS.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I currently have plenty of time for gaming, I just tend to spend that time watching films/listening to music/refreshing the internet instead. Not counting the Retro Club games, which I play on my lunch breaks or during my commute, or game evenings with Retroking, I probably play for an average of 2 hours per month. I work six days a week, so when I book leave from work it's often to play videogames. I like to book a two-day 'XBLA' break, where I complete a download title, and I often take two weeks off in November to plough through whatever big release I've been looking forward to. I don't play online, and on average I complete 2-3 full games per year, and maybe the same amount of bitesize titles.

Somewhere along the line games have become too much of a chore to relax with during the week, and I've only recently realised this. I usually look back on games I've finished fondly, but enjoy them less and less while I'm actually playing these days.
  • I have a street fighter and dark souls addiction. So a lot.
  • Usually some time everyday. Mostly at nights or sometimes when the boy is having a sleep during the day.
    I play more than I used to. I think the missus would rather have me playing games than out drinking and causing mayhem. I'm trying to work on the drawing side of my hobbies, which funnily enough involves videogame characters.
    I do play board games.
    Fuck
    I'm sad.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Probably about 6 hours a week for me. A couple of hours a night a couple of times a week, and then whatever I can squeeze in at the weekend.
  • I average about 7hrs a week.
    My list of unplayed games in Steam is ridiculous yet everytime a Steam sale comes around my OCD can't resist. 

Gotta catch 'em all!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Monday night after 7 aside football (10pm until 2am) for me now, otherwise it 'impacts on family life' apparently. I do get on when the wife is out but now we have just had number 2 she is not going out at all!
    I now just tend to reminisce of my early gaming life in the retro thread and read what other badgers are playing to get my kicks.

Wives and kids, who would have them.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    A lot. Being unemployed = YEAH.

I'd say, with Dark Souls 2 addiction, 5-6 hours a day currently. When not addicted to a game, I can go weeks without playing anything.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Almost nothing.

As a kid, I played for hours at a time whenever the weather was bad. It's not that I don't want to game any more (though its appeal has certainly diminished in line with creative differences), just that I'm depressed most of the time.

In dreams, I've a wide circle of friends to chat about these things with - telly, games, life - and I share contented, idle evenings with a partner and no-one to worry about. So it's half me, half definable disappointment with devs and pubs.
  • Oh I have the time alright, but there's nothing out there that I feel the need to sink hours into at the mo.  As soon as the crushing familiarity with Skyrim sets in again (yeah, here it comes) and the novelty of trying to 'game' on me android tablet wears off, I really can't see anything on the horizon that's going to result in me upping me gaming hrs.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Up until Dark Souls came out, maybe 1 hour a week? Since then, about 2 hours a day.

I tend to play things obsessively, every minute I have available, and then play nothing for months.
  • Since little man was born 3 months ago i haven't touched my 360 once. I am itching to play through Ground Zeros now though...
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Average 2 hrs a night weekdays depending on when the missus goes up.

Weekends vary depending on what everyone in the house is doing.

Used to game more in the games room but since the One is in the living room (because of the bigger TV) i don't use that room much unless using the cab.

Eventually going to redo it with larger screen and a sofa (another bonus of the living room) but not bothered yet due to time, money etc.
  • Probably more than usual in recent months. There's been a lot of good cheap games available. I try to stop work around 5.00 and play till about 7.00, or a bit less if I'm doing dinner. Then a bit more at weekends.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!