The perfect game feeling
‹ Previous123
  • This is a bit abstract since it's happening to me right now so please bare bear with me..

How often do you ever get the feeling that a game is just perfect upon loading up the very first level. Irrespective of whether or not the game ends up being great all the way through, but every now and then a game arrives which for some reason, immediately impresses with some insanely simple yet incredible mechanic and sense of how it is going to play out.

To give a couple of examples of what I'm getting at, my GOTY for 2013, Fire Emblem Awakening ... would not fall into this category. It is a game that took time to grow. WipEout wasn't a game like that either, neither was Skyward Sword or Halo, but they all were fantastic.

I'm talking about games such as:

Pac Man Championship Edition - the moment you realise that you get faster and chain combos (under a minute).
    Space Invaders Extreme - same reason as PMCE, just no nonsense dive into it.
    Contra 4 - instant death.
    Wii Sports bowling or tennis - immediate tactile control.
    Rez - the gradual layering on of track detail in step with your shooting.

The game giving me that right now is Velocity on PSminis.
    "Oh look, its an Amiga era story. A red giant has exploded! It is becoming a black hole! Rescue the survivors!
    OK, its a normal vertical scrolling shmup with visual quality on par with Gradius/RType on SNES. Bit faster movement though.

Wait, what does this square button do?

Holy. Fuck.

:0

What games have ever given you this moment? Any platform, era, genre...
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    SotC, ICO
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ah, and SM64.  Dammit that's worse.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Velocity is excellent, totally agree with op.

I'd say for me the last moment we're I had that perfect game feeling were 'the last guy'.

I think it were all about how simple it were (but the difficulty adjusted nicely rather than steep or too easy) and the mechanics, everything just worked perfectly how you expect it to.

Really over looked little gem of a game.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Wario Ware Inc.
    Super Meat Boy.

Personally I thought Rez took ages to appreciate - I initially wanted a Panzer Dragoon or Starfox style 3D shooter, not something new that also happened to be a shooter.
  • Portal, just loved the way it opened.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The demo for Wonderful 101. Srs.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • SM64.. creeping and then running and then tripple jumping towards the castle. just wow

donkey kong country had me too

slightly different but certain arcade games just had me from the intro screen and music. Double Dragon, ChaseHQ, Final Fight and SF2 fit into that.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Recently, Resogun. Can't think of anything else. I guess quite a few shmups would feature. Mushi Furari for example.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • A shit that calls for little or no wiping.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Mario 64 - pushing forward on the stick and feeling in control in 3D for the first time. You just knew you were in for something special.

Showing my age but pressing a button and seeing the shooter move with beautiful responsiveness, and with that background thump in Space Invaders in the arcade.....the feeling of that for the first time is hard to convey.

I found Rez not that appealing at first - but it soon hooked me.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    A shit that calls for little or no wiping.
    Adopt the squat, clean sheets every time.
  • Within a few seconds of starting PS2-era Spider-Man 2, I was grinning ear to ear. I'd always loved the idea of swinging about, but it pulled off the mechanics so effortlessly it blew me away.
  • See, Rez actually hooked me on the demo. Bought it instantly afterwards at $99.95 AUD for "the worst graphics on PS2" as I was told. Loved it before I knew it was a cult hit.

As for beat-em-ups, I agree but for me I'd list Streets of Rage 2. The combo system in that game is just flawless right from the get go.

Another than comes to mind but my memory is a bit hazy is Speedball 2. Something about the immediacy of the controls and how the same button = punching = sliding = tackling = shooting.

There really is something to be said for a game that communicates everything you need to know in under 30 seconds.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • That reminds me, Ico got me on the demo. I was at a mate's and he let me try the disc that came with some mag or something. It felt so goddamn fresh, I'd never even heard of it before. Was years before I actually got to play it properly.
  • Portal. Monkey Island 2 - I knew at the title screen....
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Monkey island 2 had me at the mix and Mojo
    wheel-mi2-resized.jpg

Just thought of Another World, that intro used to get so excited.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Don't blame me for a list...

Amiga

Another World
    International Karate +
    Knights of the Sky
    North & South
    Pinball Dreams
    Sensible Soccer
    Stunt Car Racer
    Worms

Commodore 16

DisasterBlaster
    Ikari Warriors
    Kikstart
    Treasure Island

GameCube

Super Monkey Ball

Master System

Asterix

Mega Drive

Ecco the Dolphin
    LandStalker: The Treasure of King Nole
    OutRun
    Road Rash
    Streets of Rage
    The Revenge of Shinobi

NES

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
    Mega Man 2
    Nintendo World Cup
    Punch-Out!!
    Track & Field II
    Wrath of the Black Manta

Nintendo 64

Blast Corps
    GoldenEye
    Super Mario 64

PC

Actua Soccer 2
    Descent
    Duke Nukem 3D
    EF2000
    Grand Prix 2
    Grand Prix Legends
    Grand Theft Auto
    Grim Fandango
    Interstate '76
    Operation Flashpoint
    Quake
    SkyNET
    Star Trek: TNG - A Final Unity
    The Need for Speed
    The Need for Speed: Porsche 2000
    ToCA 2 Touring Cars
    Ultima VIII: Pagan

PlayStation

Doom
    ESPN Extreme Games
    Gran Turismo
    Gran Turismo 2
    Tekken
    Tekken 2
    Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
    Tomb Raider
    Tony Hawk's Skateboarding
    Twisted Metal 2: World Tour
    WipEout 2097

PlayStation 2

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    ICO
    TT SuperBikes
    Way of the Samurai

PlayStation 3

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
    Uncharted 2
    Warhawk
    WipEout HD

Saturn

Sega Rally Championship
    Virtua Fighter

Sega 32X

Virtua Racing Deluxe

SNES

Donkey Kong Country
    Secret of Mana
    Street Fighter II
    Super Castlevania IV
    Super Mario Kart
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Wings II: Aces High

Xbox

Project Gotham Racing
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

ZX Spectrum

Jason's Gem

Taken from my big list. You heard.
  • Some immediate standouts in that list there.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    And Ground Zero Texas.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Monkey Ball and Bust-a-Move would be two others.

With Monkey Ball you know everything after 2 seconds. Bust-a-Move's immediacy outdoes all other puzzle games.

And Asteroids. Beautiful control and sense of intertia. Those vector graphics and the non linearity of it - every wave is as different as a frame of snooker. Gorgeous.

Actually an awful lot of Atari's pioneering titles are beautiful. Tempest, Lunar Lander, Centipede, Missile Command and Marble Madness for example. It is not a coincidence that many of their games pale when played via emulation. The control panel was embedded into the experience. It was a privilege to have been at the right age in the early 80's.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Monkey Target too. Dont forget that piece of genius.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Vanquish Vanquish Vanquish. I'd contribute more Vanquish if I was on my comp and not mob.
  • Vanquish is great, but gee whizz it took me a while to get to grips with.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Crystal castles on the old atari 2600.

Completely forgot about ik+ but that too,
    And to a lesser extent yie are king fu.

Bushing blade on ps1.

There were this other game on ps2 I forget the name of wich were a flying carrier thing and you had like a jet type thing and a jeep type thing inside that you occasionally control.....I rented it and immediately had to buy....we're definitely full of the perfect feeling.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Oh shadows of Rome on ps2 were full of that perfect feeling and an amazing game. (just forget the later sneaking sections).

• Kaboom! - Atari 2600
    Match Day - Spectrum
    Sensible Soccer - Amiga
    Rodland - Amiga
    Goldeneye - N64
    F1 - Playstation
  • Metal Gear Solid - a story driven and deep game but to quote Vela:

'a game arrives which for some reason, immediately impresses with some insanely simple yet incredible mechanic and sense of how it is going to play out'

There was plenty of games before MGS with stealth elements but playing the opening of that game (well demo) I knew it was something special.

I agree with a lot of the games already listed especially Super Mario 64 and Wii Sports.

Also PacMan CE/Space Invaders Extreme and all the Atari games DavyK mentioned but then thats kind of in their nature and the point of old arcade games.

oh and TETRIS!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Half-Life
    Final Fantasy VII
    The Walking Dead

I'm a sucker for great introductions which also leads to be wrong about a few.
  • I was thinking of Tetris when I typed out my thread but the phone rang and I forgot to include it.

Another suggestion is Katamari Damacy. Pick up small stuff, get bigger, pick up bigger stuff, get lambasted by David Bowie King of All Cosmos who vicariously lives through the failures of his minions.

No... It was indeed not a dream
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!