The perfect game feeling
  • Peggle.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Amiga:
    Lemmings
    Cannon Fodder
  • I miss lemmings, is there a way to play it on pc for free yet?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I thought of Tetris but it isn't immediately obvious what to do - as great as that game is which is close to perfect as any game. The only issue with that game is the how to keep it interesting for people who are really good. Mad speed a la TGM is one way.

Had Kaboom! down too but then thought I was being too retro. Kaboom! deserves a mention - but has to be played with paddles, as does Breakout/Arkanoid and Warlords.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • the opposite to this thread is F19- Flight Similator for the Amiga. Pile of dog turd. Staring at the same screen for minutes on end. Never played it a 2nd time. Luckily it came free with the A500.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • sorry to go off topic quickly but...

@davyK have you got Bit.Trip Complete on Wii? I was playing Flux the other day and the first boss is a mash up of Breakout and Pong. I remember chatting to you about the 2600 a while back, I think you'd definitely like it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • mk64 wrote:
    the opposite to this thread is F19- Flight Similator for the Amiga. Pile of dog turd. Staring at the same screen for minutes on end. Never played it a 2nd time. Luckily it came free with the A500.

Or Home Alone 2 and Terminator 2 on SNES. Nightmare games. Ooo and Waynes World. Utter shite!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    I miss lemmings, is there a way to play it on pc for free yet?

Download the ROM and an Amiga emulator. That's what I did.
  • Ive got to be careful this doesn't come across as a favourite game list but all of these were instant likes:

Skool Daze (C64) - Great little sandboxy game. Pretty incredible for its time really thinking back. It was great fun just going round writing swear words on the black board and twatting other kids/teachers with your catapult.
    Gunstar Heroes (MD)- Looks, Coop, weapon mixing and perfectly balanced to boot.
    Streets of Rage 2 (MD)- Still the pinnacle of 2D scrolling beat em ups and coop play imo.
    Eternal Champions (MD)- I loved this game so much, I think manly down to the character bios and graphics. Virtually impossible to beat and terrible animation but I'd love SEGA to do a remake/sequel. (No chance)
    Gran Turismo (PS1) - That handling and those shineys!
    Wreckless (Xbox) - Drawn in as a graphics whore initially, then realised it was a bit shit on continued play
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    sorry to go off topic quickly but...

@davyK have you got Bit.Trip Complete on Wii? I was playing Flux the other day and the first boss is a mash up of Breakout and Pong. I remember chatting to you about the 2600 a while back, I think you'd definitely like it.

Oh yeah....have that - has a soundtrack disc with it. First got Bit.Trip Beat on Wiiware which I loved because it was essentially a paddle game implemented perfectly on the Wii.

When I got Complete I spent a lot time on Runner...had me hooked for ages.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    Bushing blade on ps1.

Ah, the famous, uncompromising, depilatory sim. Great game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Actually Bit Trip Beat is effing amazing. To the uninitiated - imagine merging Breakout and Rez and then playing it on a souped up Atari 2600 with a paddle controller. And there's a 4 player option.
  • Agreed, the only one I can't get on with is Core, my brain just can't recover when it goes wrong in that one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    that's the "mad four way shooting from the centre" one?

There was a 2600 game like that - infinitely easier - called Cosmic Ark. Bit Trip is just a big love letter to the 2600.

• Some odd additions for me.
    Back in the day a demo of Tombi for ps1 came free on a mag coverdisc (pretty sure it was the official ps1 mag) and blimey the demo was blinding. It played out in a forest level and it was this barmy Japanese platformer. I must have sank HOURS into the level. At a later date I got the full game and it just wasnt the same. That level was perfect.

Also another OPSM demo disc I think It was for that RTS Warzone I think it was called. It allowed you to assemble your units from different upgrades. It let you choose weapon,body, propulsion etc. But it was a lovely open level to get a feel for the game in. Plus I found a bug that unlocked all unit upgrades.
    But those demos were just instant loves even though the full games didnt match up.

Another demo was again for PS1. I think the game was called Excalibur. It was set in an underground dungeon and you played as a female char so im guessing it wasnt long after tomb raider. It was a British game i think. It just dripped in atmosphere in a cheap way. Again no joy with the main game.

Last demo was that porche challenge game, ps1 again!!! The demo perfectly served slice of game. Poo full game.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • mk64 wrote:
    I miss lemmings, is there a way to play it on pc for free yet?
    Yes.

http://bit.ly/1bovxom

or, alternatively,

http://bit.ly/1bovQ2s
  • Last demo was that porche challenge game, ps1 again!!! The demo perfectly served slice of game. Poo full game.

Yep, I felt exactly the same with this.

@davyK yes thats the one
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Cannon fodder
    C&C Red Alert
    Star wars Dark Forces
  • Escape wrote:
    Don't blame me for a list... Master System Asterix GameCube Super Monkey Ball
      Mega Drive
    LandStalker: The Treasure of King Nole, Road Rash NES Punch-Out!!

Agree with these, although I'd probably made my mind up about loving Landstalker before I picked up the pad (100 in Diehard Gamefan?  That's for me).  Asterix was, and still is, astoundingly good. 

Plus Metal Gear Solid, Portal and Cannon Fodder from other people's choices.  The first Monkey Island is the one that did it for me.  Also, Virtua Cop.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Flight Control
    Cut The Rope
    Zelda LTTP & OOT
    Meatboy
    Burnout Paradise
    Uncharted 2
    Limbo
    Picross
    Kuru Kuru Kuruin
  • Virtua Tennis, there's depth to be had there obviously but with such a simple control system and those (for the time) beautiful graphics it just made an immediate positive impression on me from the minute the demo started. Ditto Crazy Taxi, NBA2K and Power Stone whilst we're on the DC era.

RE: The OP - I played Wipeout 2097 before the original Wipeout and found it wonderful and intuitive right from the start, as well as looking and sounding amazing. Haven't played it in years so can't confirm whether I'm right about this but I recall 'getting it' immediately and having fun right from the off. 

Jumping Flash was great from that first, towering leap for me although the FMV seems pretty naff these days. Others: Breakout, Dr Mario and Tetris on the Gameboy, Track & Field, Lumines, Links 2004....
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Virtua Tennis
    Trials HD/Evo
    Peggle
    Ocarina of Time
    Super Metroid
    Half Life

All stunning games, and ones I knew I'd love from the second I was allowed to interact.
  • California Games. Utterly loved that game from the moment I started playing keepy ups.
    Peggle. One more turn.
    Half Life 2. The dystopian train arrival sucked me in. 
    Fallout 3. From the ads to my first 4 hour session, the world felt fully realised.
    Yoshi's Island. Missed my train back to uni to complete the game. When I say missed, it was a matter of 2 days.
    Champ Manager 97/98 and future versions over the next few years. Years of devotion and adoration of Cherno Samba, Ibrahima Bakayoko, Bruce Dyer, Nii Lamptey and Freddie Adu. 
    Dark Souls, the utter lack of hand holding and early deaths was liberating. Finding stuff out for yourself is ever more important in a world of spoilers, YouTube speed runs etc.
    Chime. Relaxing and cathartic bliss.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You didn't mention Tsigalko! :(
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Kuru Kuru Kuruin

I think I agree with this more than anything else in the thread so far.  A perfect example.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Super Metroid is a great shout
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Virtua Tennis is a great shout, as is Kuru Kuru Kururin (or Kururin Squash which is the Gamecube version that I have played)

Mr Driller is another candidate.
  • Or something like Daytona or Sega Rally
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Heh I nearly said that [Flappy Bird] but feared the inevitable mockery ;-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!