Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • I’m a fan of Makoto Shinkai’s work. They’re all good films. Personal favourite being The Place Promised In Our Early Days. Most of his work is melancholic bittersweet stuff which I love. 

Haven’t seen his latest yet, Suzume.
    Edit; April 14th U.K. release. Gonna refresh cinema websites like a motherfucker until booking opens.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • the mist is a corker. that ending.....
    PSN - minkymu
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The comedy ending, yeah.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Mist opportunity.
  • I don't remember it. Haven't the foggiest
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • You probably watched the Scotch version.
  • Die Hart
    Pretty awful Kevin Hart vehicle which struggles to decide if its an out and out comedy or meant to be taken semi-meta (although it fails on every count) Avoid like the plague [3]

Everything Everywhere All at Once
    Whereas this is absolutely wonderful stuff. Not much I can add to whats been written about it, just to say that it lives up to the hype. [9]

Glass Onion: A knives out mystery
    Odd title aside (not the glass onion bit, surely this is a Benoit Blanc mystery?) I really enjoyed this. The cast, the pacing, the dialogue were all good and Craig is great as Blanc - I would happily watch a series of movies of the guy doing this routine. Didnt really like the ending as it felt a bit OTT but it was a very fun journey getting there. Not as good as knives out but still really enjoyable. [8]

Godzilla vs Kong 
    Why is this so fucking long - 2 hours with only a few fun fight scenes to justify it. I was like Abe Simpson at one point shouting "just eat the damn orange!". The human characters are wafer thin and none are likable or interesting so why so much focus on them? The destrcution scenes are fun, and I did enjoy the moments of Kong vs Godzilla (less so when Meca godzilla shows up) but this was so slow and dull. Obviously its stupid but that was a given going in. [4]

Death on the Nile
    This really wasnt too bad. In much the same way that Daniel Craig does a lot of heavy lifting in Glass Onion, I really enjoyed Brannaghs take on Poirot (I've never read the books so no idea how accurate this is). Its feels like a throw-back movie but I still enjoyed it. The setting is a nice change of pace and the mystery itself was fine. Its almost like an expensive made for TV movie but in a good way. Not as bad as I feared going in [6]

Murder on the Orient Express
    So after the surprise of Death on the Nile we went for the first of Brannaghs Poirot movies. Its a better film with a more interesting plot so while that worked for the order we watched in, I can imagine watching Death on the Nile after this might feel like a slight comedown. Its still nothing amazing but the 2 hours flew by and the resolution to this movie is more interesting than the second. Again, its nothing super special but I still enjoyed it. I felt the rest of the cast was better in this one as well but some of the actors are underused. Apparently a third movie is in the works and I'll be glad to watch it based on these 2 [7] 

Vivo
    Not my first time watching this Miranda Musical, but its one of my daughters favs so got an outing this year. The music is typical Miranda, toe-tapping with some nice flourishes. Not everyones taste but I quite like it and some of the songs are very solid. The movie is simple and effective and while never ground breaking, how can you not enjoy a movie that features a Honey Badger? [6]
    SFV - reddave360
  • Ink HeartStrange family movie with an interesting line in a person who can read a book and make the characters come to life. The movie has a great cast but the tone can feel a bit off at times and the rules of the magic world are a touch inconsistent which can make things feel a bit confusing in terms of whats really at stake. Still not terrible. Based on a book and it feels like its would be better suited to that format [5]
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I just discovered that the main guy in Everything Everyone Whateverything was Short Round in Temple of Doom. #pointlesstrivia
  • Kow wrote:
    I just discovered that the main guy in Everything Everyone Whateverything was Short Round in Temple of Doom. #pointlesstrivia

And Data in The Goonies.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You mean Data in Star Wars, Shirley?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Star wars 2: The Wrath of Han
  • I'm more impressed that James Hong (the actor who played the dad) also played Lo Pan in big trouble in little China in 1986 and more or less looks the same.

That film is 37 years old! He was playing an old guy back then!
    SFV - reddave360
  • James Hong is a legend.
  • Wasn't that Sean Connery?
  • Gremill wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    And Data in The Goonies.

And Chunk from the Goonies is his entertainment lawyer.  (Which is why Ke Huy Quan gave a shout out to Jeff Cohen and said "Goonies forever" in his Oscars acceptance speech.)
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    And Data in The Goonies.

And Chunk from the Goonies is his entertainment lawyer.  (Which is why Ke Huy Quan gave a shout out to Jeff Cohen and said "Goonies forever" in his Oscars acceptance speech.)

That's fucking amazing. YES!
  • 27. Cocaine Bear
    Very strong first film energy in this one with it all feeling very slap dash and not great flow throughout. Also not very funny or thrilling or anything. Waste of time.
    [2]

28. 65
    Adam Driver's dino crisis. Can't really go wrong with a 90 minute dinosaur action adventure thing with one of the best actors working today. Not especially thrilling and the score sucks ass but it was a fun way to kill some time.
    [5]

I think I need to watch some film films soon.
  • 15. Between Two Ferns: The Movie.
    Never seen the shorts on YouTube, but this was a surprisingly amusing way to spend 90 minutes. A version of Zack Galafianakis interviews top celebrities on his public access TV talkshow and is incredibly rude to them. Sample question to Paul Rudd: " Do you have any advice for young actors who want to disguise their Jewishness as well as you have?" 7
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve enjoyed the short bits on YT. Where can I find this?
  • 16. The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard
    Big dumb and funny sequel that makes little to no sense, has a fuck tonne of swearing and violence, awful special effects and Salma Hayek looking never hotter. Quite a lot of it feels like they were making it up as they went along but having a blast as they did. Whether you like it will depend on your tolerance for Ryan Reynolds schtick. I have developed quite a tolerance, so it was a great way to spend a couple of hours. 7
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I’ve enjoyed the short bits on YT. Where can I find this?

It's on Netflix.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers
  • Gremill wrote:
    16. The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard
    Big dumb and funny sequel that makes little to no sense, has a fuck tonne of swearing and violence, awful special effects and Salma Hayek looking never hotter. Quite a lot of it feels like they were making it up as they went along but having a blast as they did. Whether you like it will depend on your tolerance for Ryan Reynolds schtick. I have developed quite a tolerance, so it was a great way to spend a couple of hours. 7
    It’s got some fun Sam Jackson moments as well, so if you like watching Sam Jackson Sam Jacksoning you can add a bonus point or two.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Back on the film wagon. Haven't been able to settle to watch much this past while.

Three Thousand Years of Longing is a sort of weird, wonderful, sensual tale of a woman who releases a genie from a bottle in the 21stC.  Splendid entertainment with Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba in the leads.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • You People
    A bit of an odd comedy - its a play on the old culture class idea when a couple gets married (in this case Black Muslim Girl and White Jewish Guy). It feels like it would have worked better if it was played more straight although one or two jokes hit (its heavy on cringe) they arent really where the films strength is. Jonah Hill co-wrote and stars and despite looking a bit too old is pretty solid and Eddie Murphy as the militant Dad is really strong when things are kept more real. Wouldnt call it a must see but its not terrible. Feel there was a proper solid movie in there that couldnt commit (the ending is a good example) [6]

Side note - the more I see this kind of thing, the more I feel I dont get much of America anymore. Obviously a movie isnt fact but so much of this kind of thing presents an overall culture that is full of exclusionary cliques. Its part of the movies message so probably heightened for effect but more than ever I see this kind of thing and think I'm glad I dont live there.

Frozen 2

I'm sure I went to see this with the daughter when it came out but I couldnt really remember it. Its a bit more deep than the first (not saying much) and still has a certain charm to the songs and characters. How either movie became so big really is amazing as there is much better animation movies out there but its ok. [6]
    SFV - reddave360
  • If you have any interest in the making of movies it's worth checking out the making of doco on Disney plus for frozen 2. Actually showed more than I thought it would in terms of the troubles they had putting it together.

29. Mission impossible fallout
    Dang this is an exciting film. I forgot how it just doesn't really stop once it starts and even though it's 2.5 hours long it doesn't feel overly long. Really excited for the next one now.
    [8]

30. John Wick 4
    Probably shouldn't have watched Fallout the night before this as they're both 2.5 hrs long and have action sequences in the same areas of Paris but Wick is just not that exciting to watch. The action feels choreographed and overlong and there's no reason this needed to be 2.5 hours long. Tight 90 and you could have told this exact same story.
    [4]

I feel like Gangs of London's action also feels choreographed but it's also shot and put together really viscerally. John wick just feels laboured. There's good stunt work in there but when it isn't fun like, say, Jackie Chan or isn't exciting like mission impossible or Ong Bak or The Raid then what's the point.
  • there's no reason this needed to be 2.5 hours long. Tight 90 and you could have told this exact same story.

I still would happily sit through the first John Wick and enjoy it. But the 2 sequels were hard going. It felt like they had the same problem as Pirates of the Carrabian movies - they really wanted to prove they were "proper" movies and deep with epic world buidling when in reality we all just want a bit of excitement in a tight and easy enough to follow story. I dont expect John Wick 4 to buck the trend.
    SFV - reddave360
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I was ahead of the curve by not particularly liking the first John Wick.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!