Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • Same. But also
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse

Does everything perfectly. Builds on the original, tells a great story of growth of Miles and does the multiverse far better than Dr Strange, and even Loki. Stylistically, it's just wonderful and just the perfect super hero film.

But, and it's a big but...
    Spoiler:
    [10]

• Goodbye 2023. I watched a whole heap of middling crap this year. This year I will try and be smorter with my choices.

My Fave New New Movie: About Dry Grasses
    My Fave New Old Movie: Only Lovers Left Alive
    My Fave Old Old Movie: No Country for Old Men

Other recommendations: Past Lives, The Boy and the Heron, Suzume, Playground, Memories of Murder
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ha ha
  • I loved it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Bank of Dave
    Lovely little ‘true story’ movie about a Burnley businessman who fought the financial establishment to set up a local bank. Lightweight, warm and funny. Rory Kinnear is suitably awkward as Dave himself.

And that’s 2023 done.
  • Goodbye 2023. I watched a whole heap of middling crap this year. This year I will try and be smorter with my choices. My Fave New New Movie: About Dry Grasses My Fave New Old Movie: Only Lovers Left Alive My Fave Old Old Movie: No Country for Old Men Other recommendations: Past Lives, The Boy and the Heron, Suzume, Playground, Memories of Murder

My goodbye:

60 movies watched
    Average score given = 6.72 (after a retrospective [8] for Mirror)
    Fave new new film: Inside the Yellow Cocoon Shell
    Fave new old film: Aftersun (although this was December 2022 or so, so not that old.  Could replace with Burning or A Brighter Summer Day)
    Fave old old film: Infernal Affairs
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    My film of the year.
    2023 watchlist

ShortList
    The Ascent
    Le Haine
    Bull
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    Lola
    The Painted Bird.

Hard to pick from that - I think I award it to Lola for its ambition and splendid twist on the time travel genre which is one of my favourites.

Too recent to include but Godzilla Minus One gets an honorable mention. What these films really should be like.  Also I reckon Oppenheimer will benefit from a rewatch - the performances alone make that the case.  And I think Saltburn will get better as time goes past.

140 films watched.
    inc. 3 abandoned : Crash, Final Destination 2 (both for being bloody awful) + The Colour of Pomegrantes for being inpenetrable.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Going back through my list, Good Luck to you Leo Grande seems to be the film I enjoyed most last year. So well done to Emma Thompson for that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!