Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    How many times has DC rebooted their movies and characters now?

I mean.....Batman.....

yeah - we get it.

Fucking hell.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • g.man wrote:
    Hopefully now Gunn is rebooting the DCEU we’ll finally get the Captain String movie the world has been waiting for!

That actor was in a film called Windtalkers and another called Skinwalkers. Which may or may not be better than Suicide Squad: Shitehaukers.
  • I liked Ill Manors but damn it has some grim bits.
  • I remember having a magazine cover CD with a Plan B track on it before he blew up.
    It was pretty fucking hardcore even for Grime, probably closer to Trap before that was a thing.
  • His first album was very different to his second. Jools Holland had a big part to play in the sudden rise to fame iirc. Can't remember the track he performed off-hand but it's the 'oh wait, he sings better than he MC's' one that was absolutely massive for a while.
  • Was very much in that "post-Winehouse" gold rush of adding rnb horns and swing to pop music but yeah when he MC'd he was not bad at all. I'm gonna guess the fame and weed made his brain turn in on itself, if I was to hazard a guess at anything.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Haven't heard much of Plan B for a few years. He was involved in some good stuff for a short while. Ill Manors wasn't bad either. Maybe he never recovered from the cringe once he sat down and watched The Sweeney...

He had kids and gave up. legit answer

PSN - minkymu
  • Seems ironic given his stage name but it's a decent reason I guess.
  • The Red Turtle.

I'm well out of the loop with Ghiblis these days. This was a good one though. I didn't think Tilly would ever recover at one point, but she made it through. Decent.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I love The Red Turtle. The score is gorgeous.
    Get schwifty.
  • 1. Raiders of the Lost Ark - 8/1
    Prime action adventure from Spielberg, Lucas, et al. Classic.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Robocop (1987) I can't remember when I last watched this. Must be 20 years. It still holds up. It still has a message. It still looks good - I really thought the effects (e.g. the ED-209) would look ropey but by and large they are still good and when they aren't (the long arms when falling) it's still great. 

And it's still a pile of fun. Splendid stuff. Got gifted this on BluRay (published by Arrow) and it has a ton of extras including 3 commentaries. Right up my street.  :)
  • 5. The Croods
    Nic Cage stars in this mostly underwhleming animation movie from about 10 years ago. Its ok, the kids liked it but I think it was possibly one family movie too many (been on a tear of them over the Holidays). There's a few good gags but the characters feel very much run of the mill. There's a good running gag about a utility belt which got me laughing but otherwise not worth bothering with.
    SFV - reddave360
  • (I could have sworn I posted this before, but I can't see it so...)
    The Banshees of Inisherin

The sort of film that makes you realise that everything else you've been watching is a bit shit.

Utterly sublime.
  • Saving that for a night with absolutely no distractions. Wife is taking her mom away for a spa weekend so that's looking likely for me. Great to hear it getting so much positive reviews
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Great film.
  • It really is fantastic
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    3. The Mitchells vs the Machines Wonderful cartoon from the Sony studies who for my money have a better recent track record than Pixar. Its another fun movie from Lord and Miller and I really wish they had got to do that Star Wars movie (up there with the missed opportunity of the Edgar Wright Ant Man movie). It has the comedy chops of the Cloudy Movies (both worth a watch) but feels bit more "hip" with its humour a-la the Spiderman: into the spiderverse movie. Blends the internet visuals nicely and overall a top little movie (8 )

Actually directed by a different guy, Michael Rianda, and produced by Lord and Miller. Does have a similar feel to their stuff but when you listen to interviews with Rianda you can hear that it's a lot of him on screen. The story itself is a pretty personal one for him too. Obviously not the robots part. I really loved it too.
  • 1. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
    Thank gawd for Spiderverse. That film being successful seems to have been the floodgate for other studios trying new things with their animation. Really is a beautiful style in this and this has to be one of the least Dreamworks movie ever made in that it tries to have themes and emotion. Unfortunately it can't help but still be a Dreamworks film so it's a bit violent at times, there's interesting ideas that should come back again but don't and there's a couple of times it goes full Dreamworks into lazy joke territory. But outside of that it's a super fun film with some great gags and action beats and a good story at it's core.
    [7]

2. Strange World
    Watched in the same day as Puss and even though I think the core message is more important, it just isn't as well put together a film. Really feels like they struggled in the edit with this one with some weird flow moments throughout. And even though the design of the Strange World is stunning I really wish Disney/Pixar would try to be a bit less subtle with their animation. It's like they keep say "More stretch! More squash!" each time and I find it disconnects the characters from the voices a lot of the time as it feels overplayed.
    [6]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    (I could have sworn I posted this before, but I can't see it so...) The Banshees of Inisherin The sort of film that makes you realise that everything else you've been watching is a bit shit. Utterly sublime.

Magnificent. Saw it in the cinema.  Farrell getting the love but Gleeson is just as good. And the young lad (Barry Keoghan) and the sister (Kerry Condon) were magnificent too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Troy The ladies look almost as pretty as Brad Pitt in this sword and sandals epic that doesn't feel epic. It feels very constrained - partly that's a good thing as despite its length this film gets on with the business of getting to the gates of Troy where most of the runtime is spent.

Splendid cast - not least Peter O'Toole who shows his acting chops with his scene with Pitt - something I haven't seem him do in an age.  Enjoyable stuff.  Is it really nearly 20 years since this was made?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    German Concentration Camps Factual Survey

Why do I do this to myself? This was a film that was shelved in '46 but completed and remastered several years ago. This is relentless and horrific. I put this disc in to watch the extras but ended up watching the 70 odd minute film as well. But I had to take a break and watch the 2nd half on a following night.

I make a point of watching this or Shoah every few years. I'm not sure why I am compelled to do so. This was made by Sidney Bernstein who went on to make the famed documentary series "World in Action" on ITV and was assembled and completed by the Imperial War Museum in 2014 and is presented on BluRay/DVD by BFI.....and is probably the most disturbing film in the entire genre.
  • I hated Troy at release but rewatched a few years ago and it's not half bad really.
  • I haven’t seen the whole film yet. Walked out of it in the cinema cos it was bad up to that point. They were on some boat and Legolas says “I lover her” or some shit. Terrible acting and script.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - was a bit of a slog - I felt the runtime.

You didn't last long!!!
  • the pale blue eye

Chris Bale in an occult murder mystery, with gillian Anderson and Timothy Spall in supporting cast, set in a snowy mountain setting? This should have been perfect for me but alas its the very definition of meh but worse because it has the elements to be good. The mystery is wrapped up too simply and the occult thing is breezed over in favour of a much more mundane twist.

[4]
    SFV - reddave360
  • 5. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    Did you call moi a dipshit?
    [10]
  • Young me thought the next bit was Connor talking French for years, couldn't make it out. "Now who's the dipshit jaques doos something"
  • LivDiv wrote:
    5. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    Did you call moi a dipshit?
    [10]
    Watched that last year - it's an all timer.
    Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!