Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's just a big boring wankathon of two twats stuck in a foreign place.
  • Racist
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I like wankathon.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Woo Shabby nailed his review of The Gray Man. Not just me and Unc with taste then, eh?

Fury Road underwhelmed me too. Do not understand the love it gets.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    70. Prey
    A decent entry into the Predator canon, possibly the best since the OG but I’ve got a soft spot for 2. There’s no subtlety to be found, one dimensional characters abound and some shonky CGI. Most parts with the Predator were strong though and clearly where most of the FX budget (rightly) went, even if the gadgets were a bit overkill. The early onslaught of animals being sliced up felt a bit on the weird side. Still, solid action and the lead was plenty good to hold most of the film on her own. [6]
  • Yes m8 Predator 2 is slept on far too much.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yeah, man! King Willie, crazy Busey and Danny G are a sweet combo.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had to wait to be in the right frame of mind to watch Hidden Figures. It's a NASA tale so right up my alley. But it's the tale a group of people (seemingly ladies) who were calculators before mainframe computers were viable - who did the vast bulk of the calculations required for the early Freedom and Mercury missions. This particular tale is of the group of black female calculators - and focusses on 3 of them - these are 3 true stories.

The racism of 60s America is why I had to be in the right frame of mind as I don't have the energy to get annoyed and there's reason enough of that here - with the separate coffee pot probably being the most annoying, but is only one thing arising from the separation of black and white people. It's ultimately a uplifting tale - one became the first female black engineer at NASA , one became a key mathematician in the Apollo mission and the 3rd forsaw the end of manual computing and retrained herself and her colleagues in FORTRAN programming in order to remain employed.

There's a fine cast with Costner doing his boss/leader thing extremely well. And the 3 leads are excellent (Octavia Spenser who I remember from The Help, and two I haven't seen before - Janelle Monae (who is a recording artist apparantly) and Taraji Henson) with support from Kirsten Dunst and that guy off Big Bang theory.  I don't know the story - I'll be correcting that - but I suspect there's a fair bit of artistic licence used, but it's good film.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    71. Old Boys
    Retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac set in a posh boarding school in the 80s. It’s fine really, some good laughs but it barely delivers on the Cyrano aspect and ends up a bit confused and somewhat unsatisfying. [4]
  • Finished off Predators tonight. Ok, knew what to expect. Only the jungle and Predator music made it watchable.

Planning to watch Prey again with my son so will see if that changes my opinion on that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moonfall is preposterous piffle and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not quite as bonkers as Wandering Earth but getting there.
  • Aye, Hidden Figures was great.
  • 99. NOPE
    Ugh, Jordan Peele frustrates me so much. Like his previous films there's some really cool ideas in this and some sequences that are legit 10/10 and probably some of the best things he's put to screen but there's also just something about the bulk of the rest of it that just doesn't work for me and I lose interest. I can't even really tell what it is. Whether it's in the writing or the editing or what but it just means the film on the whole doesn't land for me. Genuinely thought it was going to be a masterpiece after the first 15 mins or so. Maybe next time.
    [6]

100. MIFF - Speak No Evil
    A 'horror' movie about the problems with politeness. Maybe. I dunno, it took way too long to do the thing you knew it was going to do and so by then I just didn't really care anymore. I'll tell you what though, never trusting any Dutch people that's for sure.
    [4]

101. MIFF - Flux Gourmet
    New film from Peter Strickland is exactly what you would want it to be. No real horror elements to this one but it is quite funny and silly and he shows his panache for attacking the senses at various stages. Also goes back to his, I'm assuming, obsession with sound and sound tech.
    [8]
  • 102. MIFF - Something in the Dirt
    So good to see that even though Benson and Moorhead have been absorbed into the MCU machine they still have the desire to make little sci-fi films that fit into their own cinematic universe. I feel like there's a bit to unpack in this one and I could definitely see some of the more obvious connections but I need to think and read about some of the other stuff. It's not quite as solid as Resolution or The Endless but I still really enjoyed it.
    [7]
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I thought all these films were related, had to Google MIFF to find out what was going on
  • Paul accidentally googled MILF instead and now he is down a rabbit hole and in need of Zinc
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I thought all these films were related, had to Google MIFF to find out what was going on

Yeah I think they're all set in the same world and some are more connected than others.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Alien vs Predator I thought this was an at least partial rewatch. I have a memory of watching murky unclear images of a bit of a messy contrived bore. But I watched this last night and it wasn't bad - actually it was quite good. At least entertaining. I liked the overall idea of the story though I have no idea how it fits in with the time line of the later Alien/Engineer films. But ho hum.

So I am not putting this down as a rewatch as I must have just watched a bit half way through. Was nice to see the nod to "later" films with the Bishop link.

I tried to guess the order in which they would die - but I was confounded at every turn apart from the one obvious survivor. Reviews moan about cardboard characters but what else are they going to be but xenomorph fodder? Good fun and glad I watched this. Those Predators love a scrap eh? :)

• 103. MIFF - Vortex
    Definitely Noe's quietest film and quite devastating in the way you expect. I found it perhaps a bit too quiet but that could have been not helped by fairly uncomfortable cinema seats. I found the early stuff to be sadder than anything that came after. DS will love it.
    [7]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah I've been trying to get the missus to watch it but I think Amour broke her so she's keeping away.
  • 57. Spiderman: No Way Home
    Second watch of this since I saw it at the cinema and loved it all over again - there's so much great stuff going on in it and Willam DeFoe absolutely kills it as GG - showing that he really didn't need the helmet/mask in the first Spiderfilm. The high point of recent Marcel fare. 9
    Gamertag: gremill
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    45. Moonfall - 4

Fucking hell. That was a terrible film. I mean it is very much along the lines of Day After Tomorrow and 2012 but without any of the fun characters. Apart from fat Sam from GoT all the cast were wooden. And Emmerich really doesn’t like new partners in families does he? Must have heard his step dad fucking his mom one too many times.

And the bullshit speech at the end…
    Spoiler:
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    45. Moonfall - 4

Fucking hell. That was a terrible film. I mean it is very much along the lines of Day After Tomorrow and 2012 but without any of the fun characters. Apart from fat Sam from GoT all the cast were wooden. And Emmerich really doesn’t like new partners in families does he? Must have heard his step dad fucking his mom one too many times.

And the bullshit speech at the end…
    Spoiler:

Is that at minus 4? Deserved, if so.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Alien vs Predator I thought this was an at least partial rewatch. I have a memory of watching murky unclear images of a bit of a messy contrived bore. But I watched this last night and it wasn't bad - actually it was quite good. At least entertaining. I liked the overall idea of the story though I have no idea how it fits in with the time line of the later Alien/Engineer films. But ho hum.

So I am not putting this down as a rewatch as I must have just watched a bit half way through. Was nice to see the nod to "later" films with the Bishop link.

I tried to guess the order in which they would die - but I was confounded at every turn apart from the one obvious survivor. Reviews moan about cardboard characters but what else are they going to be but xenomorph fodder? Good fun and glad I watched this. Those Predators love a scrap eh? :)

I am going to rewatch this tonight, Davy. You are probably in so much trouble.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is a compendium of Western tales where death is never far away. Kind of a Western themed Tales of the Unexpected. Each tale is beautifully acted and the format allows for a wide ranging cast of notables who all get to do their stuff to great effect. It's a Coen Bros film so it's quirky, musical and crafted extremely well.

Odd but never less than entertaining.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Alien vs Predator I thought this was an at least partial rewatch. I have a memory of watching murky unclear images of a bit of a messy contrived bore. But I watched this last night and it wasn't bad - actually it was quite good. At least entertaining. I liked the overall idea of the story though I have no idea how it fits in with the time line of the later Alien/Engineer films. But ho hum. So I am not putting this down as a rewatch as I must have just watched a bit half way through. Was nice to see the nod to "later" films with the Bishop link. I tried to guess the order in which they would die - but I was confounded at every turn apart from the one obvious survivor. Reviews moan about cardboard characters but what else are they going to be but xenomorph fodder? Good fun and glad I watched this. Those Predators love a scrap eh? :)
    I am going to rewatch this tonight, Davy. You are probably in so much trouble.

eek....
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I forgot Lance Henriksen is in this. I like that, at least.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Nope. This is silly fan fiction nonsense. I’ll need to watch Prometheus to get the bad taste out of my mouth. I’m only sort-of kidding.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Moonfall and AvP are bangers.

Some bad takes on this here forum of late lads head wobble time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!