• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    Finished Prey. Didn't think it got any better so my views haven't changed. An average tv film.

Started watching Predators for the 1st time, about 55 minutes into that. Probably enjoying it more - jungle location and Predator sound cues & music create such a better atmosphere. Also seems more like a cinema film than Prey.

nerd stuff:
    One of the issues I had watching Prey is that it is 24.00fps so watching this via Kodi on a Firestick (which doesn't support 24.00fps) meant the odd skipped frame/stutter every now and then. Might have been better watching at 60Hz. Trade off is smooth panning with occassional stutter vs no smooth panning with no stutter.

Predators, being film and 23.98fps plays perfectly.
    /nerd stuff

I rewatched Predators after Prey, I found Prey far more cinematic thanks to all those gorgeous, wide vistas. I thought Prey was generally more entertaining too, I like Predators, but I like it on a similar level to how I like AvP, a trashy action film with some fun fights in it that make me smile.
  • 56. Pig
    Nicholas Cage is a hermit who lives in the forests of Oregon with his truffle locating pet pig. When someone assaults him and steals his pig, he sets out to get her back. This is not the film that you might expect it to be - but it's all the better for it. An unusually understated and great performance from Cage as a broken man who had opted out of society, but who is forced to return to old ways and wounds to find his porcine pet. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 37. Prey - 5/8
    First half hour (third) of the movie was a bit slow and dull to be honest, but it then really picks up. The CGI is a bit off but the action was fun and it ended up being an enjoyable romp. Still not a patch on the orginal which is near-perfect for an action movie.
    [7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 95. MIFF - Emily the Criminal
    A watchable indie drama with a good central performance from Plaza. Doesn't really do anything to elevate it above similar films though even though the story is entertaining enough
    [6]

96. The Gray Man
    Imagine making a film for Chads where there's jokes about small hands and all the action people are tough manly men men who smash things when they're angry except for the one token hot lady. Imagine making a globe trotting spy action film where the leads never leave a green screen studio so everything past the foreground is blurry and looks like trash to hide the CG backgrounds. Imagine filling all your fights and action sequences with CG smoke elements that distract your eyes throughout and look like shit and make you wonder if they got a bulk deal on that plug-in. Imagine creating the least exciting or dangerous feeling plane crash in all of cinema history. Imagine making a spy film where nothing interesting happens in the plot at all. Imagine suggesting by the end that the film was about the relationship between the lead and the kidnapped girl but instead of structuring the film around this you instead dump it in the most boring and emotionless flashback ever and start your film with a terrible deepfake deaged Billy Bob.
    One point for Gosling's funny groans when he got hurt.
    [1]
  • Ooft.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Sometimes I wish I was the kind of person that could turn something off halfway through
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh I've done that. I nearly did it with Gray Man about 15-20mins in but I hung around and enjoyed it more than you did in the end.

That Kevin Bacon Invisible Man film, that last Mad Max film and the Cumberbatch Alan Turing film - all turned off.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    @Shabby Were you in a bad place while watching that? Suffering?
  • I've tried to watch Guy Ritchie's King Arthur three times in the past month and I'm still only 15 minutes in. Not going to let it win, will have another go when I've had enough to drink.
  • Sometimes I wish I was the kind of person that could turn something off halfway through

I’ve walked out of the cinema on more than one occasion. Troy and The Aristicrats come to mind.
  • davyK wrote:
    That Kevin Bacon Invisible Man film, that last Mad Max film and the Cumberbatch Alan Turing film - all turned off.

Hollow Man?  It was a bit rubbish but I managed to get through it ok.  In fact, I don't recall being too offended, except for the full frontal nudity (even though it was in hollow-gram form only).

Mad max Fury Road?  Nooooooo that's a good 'un!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Complete and utter shit. I lasted until I saw the guitar.
  • I went to see Hollow Man expecting big things from an 18. You don't even get to see it going in.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I watched Fury Road all the way through and can confirm it’s shit.
    Get schwifty.
  • Has anyone seen Interstellar?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The best Nolan film
  • Gonna give it a rewatch when I have grandkids.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Hollow Man?  It was a bit rubbish but I managed to get through it ok.

It was the pure shitness of the film. The fucking invisible bear/tiger or whatever it was and the fact someone went into the cage with it. Fucking dreadful film. I lasted 20mins.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I watched Fury Road all the way through and can confirm it’s shit.

New rule for life: if Raiz says a film is shit, watch it immediately.
  • Is that like how if Moot says a game is great, avoid it like the plague?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot and me very much see eye to eye on beat em ups, so no.
  • I didn’t think Fury Road was very good either. I also don’t like Travis. I don’t think the two things are connected.
  • Travis Bickle
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Travis Bickle

Sounds like the word for bike lane in some European language.
  • @Shabby Were you in a bad place while watching that? Suffering?

Only once I'd pressed the play button.

How anyone thinks Fury Road is a bad movie still boggles my mind but hey-ho, different strokes for different folks and all that.
  • 97. Lost in Translation
    Yep, still perfect. Maybe a little bit racist and culturally insensitive in a way that goes beyond the characters being that way but film on the whole still is a beautiful little thing
    [10]

98. Project A
    I forgot how bare the plot can be in some of these Jackie Chan films and how much screen time that element can take up but the fights and stunts still make it fun. Need to rewatch Police Story soon.
    [6]
  • Yeah, Lost in Translation is absolutely brilliant. First time I saw Scarlett. Gorgeous! Watched it in cinema twice.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I watched Lost in Translation a few months back for the first time, its fucking dull really.
  • Not big and dumb enough for ya? Stick to Armageddon, mate.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!