Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yes. Same answer for Terminator 2.

Agreed. I don’t buy into the whole “you’re ruining the originals” thing with these later films. The originals exist and I can enjoy them just fine no matter what came after.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    First Terminator is worth it for Sarah Connor's moped.

I am ‘I remember when everyone thought those were cool’ years old.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    First Terminator is worth it for Sarah Connor's moped.
    EttBpGOWgAATRSS.jpg

Built for big buns.
  • 91. MIFF - Triangle of Sadness
    This is definitely a film festival film. I liked what it was doing in it's representation of class and stuff but then it went for 2.5 hours and you need to have a good reason to go for 2.5 hours
    [4]

All of these miff reviews are sponsored by Cosby and his awesome secret Santa gift
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    42. Prey - 7

Decent Predator prequel set the wld west with some wonderful cinematography and an appealing lead character.

43. Chaos Walking - 5

The most average sci-fi film I think I’ve watched. Quality cast with an interesting concept. It just doesn’t do much with it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    2010:The Year We Make Contact is the sequel to what many consider the Daddy of sci-fi, 2001.

Of course it doesn't match 2001, that would be silly, but this is far more accessible. It's a normal scifi film that follows on the Kubrick film. It's actually rather good and it has stood up well to the intervening years (it's a mid 80s film).  It's got an excellent cast and a good script, and they really made the effort to recreate the Discovery (the plot is around a Russian/US mission to go back and figure out what happened). Roy Scheider, John Lithgow, Helen Mirran and Bob Balaban join Keir Dullea and Douglas Rains(voice of HAL) to make up the cast. 

I saw this back in the 90s - I had recorded it off the TV - and I remembered a fair bit of it. If you like the original I wouldn't be afraid of watching this. It offers enough explanation not to ruin stuff (why HAL went mad) and it adds to the story and the mystique around the monolith.  Some of the effects are creaky but others have aged well and the interior of the new spacecraft will satisfy those who like to see plenty of flashing lights and control panels.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I watched this before watching 2001, which I only did fairly recently, and have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. Haven’t seen it in years though. Is it streaming somewhere?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    44. Luck - 6

It’s Apple’s attempt to make a Pixar film. It starts strongly with nice emotional beats and a fun bad luck mechanic plaguing the main character Sam. It starts to dip when she ends up in the world of Luck and an overlong convoluted story about lucky pennies. That is the biggest issue with this film. It’s overlong and also feels too long. It’s not bad just could have been so much better.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I watched this before watching 2001, which I only did fairly recently, and have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. Haven’t seen it in years though. Is it streaming somewhere?

Doesnt seem to be. I have it on bluray and I had to order a US version.

• 92. NT Live - Prima Facie
    Quite the impressive piece of work. Can't imagine how Jodie Comer managed to do this show multiple times a week. It's not an easy watch at times and I think it's maybe a little too blunt in the messaging but definitely worth seeing.
    [8]

93. MIFF - Crimes of the Future
    A very familiar set of themes from Cronenberg but not told as deftly as things like Crash or Videodrome meaning it doesn't feel as essential. I think his son is doing more interesting things in this space. Also it suffers from that covid production emptiness where it's noticeable. Still an enjoyable watch though and some fun performances.
    [6]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    91. MIFF - Triangle of Sadness This is definitely a film festival film. I liked what it was doing in it's representation of class and stuff but then it went for 2.5 hours and you need to have a good reason to go for 2.5 hours [4] All of these miff reviews are sponsored by Cosby and his awesome secret Santa gift

:D Glad you’re making good use of it.

Shame to hear CotF is a bit under par but still looking forward to it.
  • I would say the only real thing that CotF has working against it is that those other films exist. He obviously knows he's doing the same sort of thing as there's repeated phrasing and kind of references in the dialogue and such to his older works. If you hadn't seen them then this would be the one of the weirdest and body-horrorish films you've seen and even with that it does go to places which he hasn't gone before. 
    All of that, I think, was indicated by the classic film festival crowd who can't help but titter and chuckle when they see things on screen that they haven't seen in Marvel films. Oh my, so weird! Annoys me somewhat but hey-ho you know what you're getting at these sorts of things, the crowd at Enter the Void all those years ago was worse. And I do think this is also kind of a comedy in some ways. A dark, body-horror comedy. Not many films fall into that category.

94. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
    Watched in preparation for seeing his new film at MIFF next week and dang if this isn't a masterful piece of work. Just a stunning sense of place and a very well told story that is disappointingly still relevant today. I hope his new one gets close to the quality of this.
    [10]
  • 54. Predator
    Long overdue rewatch of an absolute all-timer of an action film. There's just nothing wrong with it - it does exactly what it sets out to do and does it on all cylinders. So many quotable lines, iconic characters, big guns, proper squib action and a stupidly bombastic soundtrack. What's not to love? 10
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    54. Predator
    Long overdue rewatch of an absolute all-timer of an action film. There's just nothing wrong with it - it does exactly what it sets out to do and does it on all cylinders. So many quotable lines, iconic characters, big guns, proper squib action and a stupidly bombastic soundtrack. What's not to love? 10

Yes yes yes!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 55. The Bourne Legacy
    In which Hawkeye does a Poundland Bourne with a pretty great supporting cast shoring up a paper thin plot and some half decent action sequences. Bang average. 5
    Gamertag: gremill
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    54. Predator

Yes yes yes!

My boys!
  • Road to Perdition

A misjudge from me. For some reason I thought this wasn't worth the fuss when it came out on dvd, which was the only time I'd seen it prior to this evening, but on reappraisal it's very good. Expertly cast too, Hanks definitely pulls it off.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Road to Perdition A misjudge from me. For some reason I thought this wasn't worth the fuss when it came out on dvd, which was the only time I'd seen it prior to this evening, but on reappraisal it's very good. Expertly cast too, Hanks definitely pulls it off.

Great film.
  • 1hr and 10mins into Prey. It's very average. CGI isn't great and they've turned the predator into Michael Myers.

Are streaming platforms the equivalent of shovelware on gaming platforms - some really good but mostly filler dross?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Love Road to Perdition.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    1hr and 10mins into Prey. It's very average. CGI isn't great and they've turned the predator into Michael Myers.

Are streaming platforms the equivalent of shovelware on gaming platforms - some really good but mostly filler dross?

I mean: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prey_2022

You might not be getting on with it, but I’d hardly class it as dross.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    1hr and 10mins into Prey. It's very average. CGI isn't great and they've turned the predator into Michael Myers.

I mean: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prey_2022

You might not be getting on with it, but I’d hardly class it as dross.

Prey spoilers ahead:
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You’re going to have to be more specific.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d have to rewatch to check, but they did show it happening earlier in the film.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

That makes a lot more sense, cheers Shabby
  • Finished Prey. Didn't think it got any better so my views haven't changed. An average tv film.

Started watching Predators for the 1st time, about 55 minutes into that. Probably enjoying it more - jungle location and Predator sound cues & music create such a better atmosphere. Also seems more like a cinema film than Prey.

nerd stuff:
    One of the issues I had watching Prey is that it is 24.00fps so watching this via Kodi on a Firestick (which doesn't support 24.00fps) meant the odd skipped frame/stutter every now and then. Might have been better watching at 60Hz. Trade off is smooth panning with occassional stutter vs no smooth panning with no stutter.

Predators, being film and 23.98fps plays perfectly.
    /nerd stuff

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!