Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • Mona Lisa is still an absolute banger.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    His Last Supper also fuckin rocks out. Da V in the House!
  • Brithish gangsta films?

Bull has to be up there
    PSN - minkymu
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Sexy Beast

Yes!

Technically spanish but defo

PSN - minkymu
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Being set in Spain makes it no more Spanish than Lord of the Rings is Middle-Earthish.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Definitely my favourite New Zealand fantasy film.
  • Are there any major films actually set in New Zealand not just filmed there?
    Moana doesn't count.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Piano?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Heavenly Creatures.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Heavenly Creatures.

Peter Jackson's beat film
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Are there any major films actually set in New Zealand not just filmed there?
    Moana doesn't count.

That one with the fat kid and Dr Grant off of Jurassic Park. Not as funny as I expected
  • The Gentlemen
    I suppose this is Guy Ritchie going back to doing what he does best, but in 2022 that's a bit wank. Some amusing deployments of the word 'cunt' aside, it's a sad, soggy effort.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Heavenly Creatures.

For some reason I confused Heavenly Creatures with The Lovely Bones for a moment and thought the triple covid had really fucked your taste.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I've really dropped off the pace in recent weeks. Anyway, cinema trip at the weekend for:

66. Thor: Love and Thunder
    I have pretty much the same sentiments as everyone else. I enjoyed it overall and there were some really great moments but it was just too silly and that negatively impacted much of menace or peril generated by the villain. The first hour in particular, the first sequence even, was fun but didn't really feel in keeping with the MCU vibe and bordered on parodying their own films.
    The second hour was an improvement, largely helped by Bale getting more screen time (though still felt he was underused) and the Hemsworth/Thompson/Portman dynamic being pretty strong. Add in the slices of humour that really worked, some stunning sequences and it's difficult to score this one too harshly despite the downsides. I might revise this on a second viewing but for now it's a [7].
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    The Piano?

The film named after the object the audience wished would fall on them and end the torture of watching
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Mona Lisa is still an absolute banger.

Haven't watched that in an age.

Has made me wonder how The Crying Game has aged. Unrelated but around the same time in my mind.

edit - 6 years apart. Yikes.  Now I'm wondering if I'm racist.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 47. Good Will Hunting
    Another one that I'd forgotten how great it is. Everyone in it looks scarily young, except for Robin Williams. Damon is superb as the cocky, arrogant but broken blue collar genius and Williams is incredible - was this one of his first 'serious' roles? The only negative was that I didn't remember Minnie Drivers character being quite so irritating - but she pulls it out of the bag towards the end. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Being set in Spain makes it no more Spanish than Lord of the Rings is Middle-Earthish.

Twas said in jest
    PSN - minkymu
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Cos wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Heavenly Creatures.

For some reason I confused Heavenly Creatures with The Lovely Bones for a moment and thought the triple covid had really fucked your taste.

I then thought of The Bone People. Which is a book set in New Zealand. And thus the circle is complete.
  • Watched Coming Home in the Dark today. Lost its way a little after a confident start.
  • I'd agree with that but still rate it as a standout from my watches last year, maybe for how good it could have been. Would encourage a watch to anyone tho.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Watched Coming Home in the Dark today. Lost its way a little after a confident start.

Aye that's fair. Slipped to an 8 for me after a weaker second half. Still a good watch though.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I pretended to like it less than I did to shoehorn a lel in.  Probably a [7], was pretty good.
  • Flee
    I always feel like "animated documentary" is an oxymoron, but this, like "Waltz with Bashir" before it, is excellent.  Flee is unusually personal, it tells the story of the film-maker's friend Amin, an Afghan refugee who, until then, has kept much of his memories of his flight from Afghanistan secret.

What results is a sprawling, very human tale, of a family destroyed by war. One of the film's greatest strengths is in giving us a fairly frank portrayal of Amin - he's not always 100% sympathetic or reliable, but somehow this just adds to the reality of the story he's telling us. 

The hand drawn animation is consistently beautiful, whilst the occasional switches to real life footage of events usually hammers home the ugliness of what is being described. Amin tells the story reclining on his bed, his face framed directly in front of us, creating the illusion of intimacy. And intimacy matters in this story - which is as much about an Afghani man fleeing who he is, as much as it is about a family fleeing a country.

There are moments of quiet domesticity in among the stories of war and people trafficking, but not a single frame is wasted. 

It's an oddly hopeful film, despite being depressing in feeling ever more relevant to our times...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Expendables Stallone and friends blow up an island in amusing ways. The fighting action has too many cuts to hide the aging cast but it's a lark.  Mickey Rourke shows everyone else up for what they are - wooden action heroes. He's the best thing in it by far even with his short screen time.  We really should have got more out of that man.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    33. Dr Strange in The Multiverse of Madness - 6

Felt like the pilot to a Dr Strange Disney+ TV show. The cameos weren’t strong enough. The Raiminess didn’t save it and the tone was way off for a Marvel film. The only saving grace was…
    Spoiler:

34. The Mummy - 9

Classic fun action. Everyone on top form. Zero complaints and Rachel looking lovely as ever.

35. The Mummy Returns - 7

I recall loving this when I watched it at the cinema. Time has not been kind to this sequel. It’s ok and the leads are still fun but a big step down from the first film. Let’s not talk about the third.

36. Her - 8

Only Joaquin could have pulled this off. There are a lot of scenes with just him staring at the screen as Scarlett talks but somehow it works. Didn’t know where it was going and the end was surprising but shouldn’t have been. Enjoyed the complexities of relationships in the near future.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Original Mummy is a classic. Has aged really well.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Her is great. Watch Lars and the Real Girl if you haven't seen it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!